Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Here's One for Paul, Hugh and Other Windmill Nuts

this thread has 138 replies and has been viewed 4810 times

Old 05-30-2019, 04:48:33 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Here's One for Paul, Hugh and Other Windmill Nuts

Pm sent on location Paul ,Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Siz For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2019, 11:00:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,978 Times in 967 Posts

Thanks Siz,i really appreciate the lead.Having something to aim for up that way will make a good anchor for my trip,..will get me keen and out of bed a little earlier when the time comes.
I'm off to Max Billmans Foundry with a good ute load of scrap cast and a couple of patterns that are gathering dust.Hopefully inside a month or so?

That aside want to warn you at this point,...you are a bloke who unaccountably eyes vintage windmills and old wrecks,...,..someone who eventually stops(it gets the better of him?) for a closer look.You need to be careful,..there's a chance you might be testing positive .
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 05:49:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,051 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
What are your thought's on the point you are wishing to make?

Hi Paul,

You may have failed to read the first few pages of this thread. Not trying to make a point at all - merely asking questions.

Maybe, have a read through the thread and you might see the angle I am coming from (no pun intended).

Regards,
Wayne
Old 06-02-2019, 07:40:33 AM
Subscriber

I would sooner skip the pantomime Wayne,if you find it difficult to explain yourself.No offence intended.

Apart from the strange anomaly about wrong angles that you have been poking at along the way the thread has pretty much provided me nothing but enjoyment.It's better to try to keep it that way if I can.

While we started here looking at a James Alston product in Darryl's first post,and now again with the little Aqua that Siz posted,i remembered a James Alston stock trough that I owned for a little while.The most local maker to me,Bruce & McClure show similar troughs in their early catalouges,and their farm water supply production locally was very successful.Despite that I have never seen a surviving example,or even scraps from one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP6311.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	336118  
Old 06-03-2019, 08:46:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,051 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Timms View Post
Hi,
This 60 degrees is the part I find hard to believe. Why would a company specially build angle iron and purposely make it the wrong angle for their windmills? It doesn't make sense? The angle needs to be greater than 60 degrees.
Cheers,
Wayne
There maybe some people on this forum who are confused by my question - I will try to improve, but I doubt it will help.

Wayne
Old 06-03-2019, 05:13:43 PM
Subscriber

Never mind Wayne.I don't think anybody will mind too much if we settle with the idea that 60deg is not the right angle?

Before I stop for a spell I want to post another engine.This one is from the first Bryan oilbath model.(if I keep going I will soon be at the end of my collection!)I have the complete windmill including 20' tower.Im not sure of the age,but I would expect around 1900 manufacture.It's only a smaller 6' version.For those interested you can go back to the previous 'open geared' engine posted,and looking there you will see the basic gearing layout that is housed in this oilbath model.The one difference being that this design uses an 'overhung' or single sided lay shaft bearing.This particular unit is in excellent used condition inside.The whole back cast cover detaches on this one acting as an inspection cover.A cast iron weir inside the main housing creates the oilbath.
There was quite a saga behind acquiring this windmill.The property was being sold after being in the family for 160 years.I went there last year looking for Hornsby Akroyd split frame portable parts(which I also found!)and was able to purchase this and three other windmills.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	336278  
Old 06-03-2019, 05:38:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,284 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
I like the way that Southern Cross ordered special angle iron so they could assemble using only 3 legs.
Perhaps it's special angle iron for 'special' people?

Last edited by typak; 06-03-2019 at 06:46:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:21:10 AM
Registered-III

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but back to the angle iron discussion.
A tower built using 45' angle iron and having 4 uprights = 180'
A tower built using 60' angle iron and having 3 uprights = 180'

So the difference is a cost saving of 1 upright and still retain integraty and strength. I'm confused as to the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 02:52:14 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,085 Posts

Hello all
Better pictures of the 60 degree angle and also some pictures of wire bracing used on some small Southern Cross towers.

Cheers Scott

The damage you can see in lower right hand corner was caused by a flood going through. A log got stuck in the tower. It twisted the angle, broke a couple of cross members and broke a wire stay. But the tower stayed up.

The top has been bent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 07:53:51 AM
Subscriber

Interesting this windmill business, I think I will have to consult windmill expert Noel Harrison for further advice.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:39:18 AM
Registered-I

I have heard numerous discussions by those who service windmills, as to the merits of 3 or 4 post towers. The conclusion has always been the same. There is undeniably a cost advantage by using a 3 post tower. However the lack of space within a 3 post tower make them unpopular with those who have to draw a pump from a bore and stand the pipes within the tower. Wide spread towers were suited for mounting a mill over a well. Strength is never an issue as all windmill manufacturers supply towers that will support their mills.
Hugh
Old 06-04-2019, 05:30:28 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by typak View Post
Interesting this windmill business, I think I will have to consult windmill expert Noel Harrison for further advice.
And what has a song from the 60's have to do with this? Between that and your "Perhaps it's special angle iron for 'special' people?" comment it is as plain as the pimple on my nose that your only wanting to disrupt this thread.
I, for one, do not appreciate your 'trying to be a sm@rt@r$e' comments to try and detract from a somewhat informative thread.

After pulling 400' of pipe up from a 3 legged tower I agree with Hugh. Crikey it's tight in that 3 legged footprint, especially with my fat guts in the way. And I ain't going to volunteer any time soon to find out if a 4 legged tower is better.

Cheers Scott

Last edited by Scotty 2; 06-04-2019 at 06:01:39 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42:50 PM
Subscriber

There's this one available at the 'Sandy Mount' sale at Oaklands on the 14th, a fair amount of other items in the sale that also could be of interest?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oaklands.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	336390  
The Following User Says Thank You to typak For This Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:05:47 AM
Registered-I

Original Post by Paul Richardson
[QUOTE Before I stop for a spell I want to post another engine.This one is from the first Bryan oilbath model.]

This is a larger example of the mill you have collected Paul. It can be found at the Hamilton Pastoral Museum.
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hamilton DSCN1900- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	336406  
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Power For This Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:56:03 AM
Subscriber

That one is quite an impressive display Hugh.I have noticed it from the road but have not yet been inside the fence for a closer look.I'm pretty sure that one is 10' wheel?There is an identical 10' Bryan (wrecked) in a paddock South of Lake Bolac.I intend to follow up on it soon.
Referring back to the 6' engine in my last post,you will notice that the main engine casing is one piece,and does not have a flat detachable floor like the Hamilton windmill.Also the sails in the background of my picture are from a 10' Bryan of the same vintage.I Have the engine and tail belonging to it also,but it is missing quite a few vital parts.The main casing is the same unit construction as my 6' example.
I purchased a 7' Bryan that is identical in form to the Hamilton Windmill,having the domed engine casing and flat detachable floor.It was sold and now resides up near Sydney.

I'm including a picture of my little 5' direct acting Bryan.This one had been grafted onto an Alston tower a long time ago.When purchased the previous owner wanted to know what it was exactly that i was buying from him.I had to tell him that i wouldn't know for sure until i returned the next day with a shovel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24831485_1999276153684089_7829085143090816502_o.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	336407  

Last edited by Paul Richardson; 06-05-2019 at 08:04:34 PM. Reason: glasses
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52:59 PM
Registered-II

Hi All, an interesting topic here, ,Scotty 2 the pics you posted yesterday , the uprights there appear to "me" to be just over folded flat iron NOT Angle Iron. Very easy to have done, What do others think?, Cheers John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john gilbert For This Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 03:03:31 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by john gilbert View Post
H ,Scotty 2 the pics you posted yesterday , the uprights there appear to "me" to be just over folded flat iron NOT Angle Iron.
Hello John.
I reckon it was flat ribbon that has been run through rollers when it was hot.....(hot rolled?) You can buy similar sort of angle now-a-days but it's the plain old regular 90 degree angle.
Cheers Scott
Old 06-06-2019, 03:55:58 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post
Hello John.
I reckon it was flat ribbon that has been run through rollers when it was hot.....(hot rolled?) You can buy similar sort of angle now-a-days but it's the plain old regular 90 degree angle.
Cheers Scott
Yeah, looks like it but I'm 90% sure there was 60deg' actual angle iron that had heavy, thick galvanising.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:44:56 AM
Subscriber

Probably was all made in China......

https://chinasteelcoil.en.made-in-ch...ngle-Iron.html
Old 06-06-2019, 05:16:08 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Yeah, looks like it but I'm 90% sure there was 60deg' actual angle iron that had heavy, thick galvanising.
I couldn't say for every era in SC windmill manufacturing Darryl,but it's obvious for large parts of it that their windmill components were cut,welded,forged,punched etc in black mild steel,then later processed in hot dip gal'.
All manner of parts,sail brackets,forged wheel spokes,wheel frame segments,all reefing mechanism,the list goes on,were created first, including all tower components,prior to finishing in a hot dipped galvanising coating?
When working on the towers(those that i have seen) there are no bare uncoated ends from cutting,and no bare exposed steel in the bolt holes from drilling.It would suggest that the frames were also created first in black then coated?