Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Left Hand Nut Supplier in Western Australia?

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 1098 times

Old 06-15-2019, 10:17:02 PM
Registered-III

Default Left Hand Nut Supplier in Western Australia?

Can anyone tell me of a supplier that would stock a LEFT HAND half inch either UNC or Whitworth nut ? Preferably in WA or at least in OZ somewhere. Failing that does anyone know of a left hand half inch tap I can buy or borrow. I can get a machine shop to make one but I think that's a bit of overkill when I only need 1.

I have an old valve refacer and the nut that holds the drive pully in place on the main grinding wheel mandrel has been lost by a previous owner and I can't find one anywhere locally or on eBay. Already tried "connect" and my usual local suppliers with no luck. Only one I found on eBay was a pack of 10 for 15 Quid in the UK, and another 53 pounds for postage, and I aren't that desperate !
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2019, 11:52:35 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Left hand nut supplyer in WA ?

Not in WA but still in Aus, check below

https://www.bolt.com.au/nuts-left-ha...1086_1232.html

https://www.superiorengineering.com....d-thread-26276
The Following User Says Thank You to davob For This Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 11:55:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,829 Times in 733 Posts

Not a supplier in Australia but available via the internet. I don't know how the international shipping will play out for you.

https://www.mcmaster.com/left-hand-threaded-hex-nuts

McMaster-Carr is my "go to" place for items that I can't find locally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 12:09:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Mark, I have heard of McMaster Carr, but not really familiar with them. I had a quick look at there website and it seems a pack of 25 may be viable, but will have to check the freight out shortly.

Davob, thanks for the links but they are a couple I have already checked out. Like a lot of suppliers both local and international they can supply any amount of metric and UNF but not UNC or Whitworth. Half inch UNF is a standard nut for locking rose joints and is relatively easy to obtain but there doesn't seem to be much call for the coarser threads.

Thanks Blokes,
Graham in Bunbury Western Australia
Old 06-16-2019, 12:46:07 AM
Registered-II

Hi Graham,
I feel you will need to determine the actual thread pitch before you order as 1/2" Whitworth is 12 TPI. and, 1/2" UNC is 13 TPI.

Also based on others experience I do not think that McMaster's ship outside the States--may even say so on their web site.
Good Luck.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eddie bedwell For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 02:05:26 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bedwell View Post
Hi Graham,
I feel you will need to determine the actual thread pitch before you order as 1/2" Whitworth is 12 TPI. and, 1/2" UNC is 13 TPI.

Also based on others experience I do not think that McMaster's ship outside the States--may even say so on their web site.
Good Luck.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
McMaster carr don't believe life exists outside the lower 48

---------- Post added at 01:00:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58:24 AM ----------

there is a supplier of left hand nuts in perth, I got some from them

but I cant recall there name or address

---------- Post added at 01:05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00:55 AM ----------

https://www.bolt.com.au/bright-unc-c...1234_1238.html

The Following User Says Thank You to ozfarm For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 03:50:01 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bedwell View Post
Hi Graham,

Good Luck.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
Yes Eddie, I have run into the UNC/Whitworth difference before, but have always found that "nuts" will work because the difference in a narrow nut won't cause it to bind but you can't mix them if screwing into a casting where the extra depth is a problem. This is not a heavily loaded nut, so as long as it's in place I think it will be OK. The previous owner used the machine without anything holding the drive pully on except a washer and lackey band, but I aren't that rough. Its actually a Whitworth mandrel thread but I think genuine LH Whit is going to be almost impossible to find, and I think UNC will do the job.
I have done a bit of googling and it seems that McMaster Car "will" ship outside of the US but only to a "business" address. Not sure if I will go that way, but may give it a try !

Thanks Rob,
That's one I didn't know of so will check it out.

Thanks blokes,
Graham
The Following User Says Thank You to Inter Bloke For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 05:32:36 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Left Hand Nut Supplier in WA?

Perhaps itís worth a look at some old /dead bench grinders, I think a makita bench grinder had nuts about that size, one left hand and one right hand thread. Perhaps second hand shops or a recycle centre?

---------- Post added at 07:32:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14:18 PM ----------

Perhaps itís worth a look at some old /dead bench grinders, I think a makita bench grinder had nuts about that size, one left hand and one right hand thread. Perhaps second hand shops or a recycle centre?
The Following User Says Thank You to muzzery For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 06:09:45 AM
Registered-III

[QUOTE=muzzery;1582051]Perhaps itís worth a look at some old /dead bench grinders, I think a makita bench grinder had nuts about that size, one left hand and one right hand thread. Perhaps second hand shops or a recycle centre?[COLOR=

Thanks Muzzery, Makita would be Metric as are most of the old bench grinders. I actually have an old Tough grinding head (made in WA), but sadly only right hand threads !

It's a pain in the neck, I wouldn't have thought it so difficult to find !

OzFarm (Rob) That link may be useful, they are based in Queensland but do list a left hand half inch Whitworth on their web page so we will see
Old 06-16-2019, 06:59:35 AM
Registered

Hello Graham,
How about making one in a lathe,and stick to Whitworth. Two turns with the wrong pitch and it will bind. I could have a go at it for you if the spindle was on hand.
David.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Syme For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 07:15:38 AM
Registered-I

This is the best forum ever. Someone must have access to a cnc lathe that can easily make this item.?
Old 06-16-2019, 07:29:24 AM
Registered-II

Eddie is right, you will not be able to get a 1/2" whitworth nut on a 1/2" unc thread so please take his advice to save yourself a "OH F@@@" moment. See what you have before ordering or order both.
This mis match only occurs in 1/2" threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 07:54:14 AM
Registered-III

If you dont have a mate with a lathe go and meet some blokes in small engineering shops. They would knock some up for you cheaply and in no time. If it was necessary to buy a LH tap they are available through a place in Victoria but there name escapes me for now as it is way passed my bed time. Then it is just a case of making the nut at home.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 09:49:22 AM
Registered-III

Thanks blokes !
Looks like fellows like Eddie, Darryl and Dave with more experience than me may be correct if 1/2" Whit and UNC are more different than I thought, I have struck the difference before but probably not 1/2" !

Robby (Ozfarm) sent me a link in one of the earlier postings for a nut and bolt supply house in Queensland and on their webpage they list left hand 1/2 inch Whitworth nuts as being available, so I will check that out first. I always knew I could get one turned up, it just seemed like a lot of trouble for a very innocuous component. Thanks for the offer Dave (nice to hear from you) but I will see where I go from here after I contact the Queensland blokes. I do have a friend in Quairading that I am sure would be able to do it for me as he has done a few other turning jobs for me over the years, and my brother has a small lathe, but I don't know if either he or the lathe have the ability (I know "my" turning skills wouldn't be able to )

Thanks blokes,
Graham (now in Bunbury)
The Following User Says Thank You to Inter Bloke For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 10:10:08 AM
Registered-III

Searles are the best bet in Perth for items like that. http://www.searlefasteners.com.au/po...ile-fasteners/
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Freeman For This Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 05:55:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,983 Times in 969 Posts

Inter Bloke,..if you pm me your mailing address i will stick a good sized 1/2" or similar bolt in the lathe and make one for you.I have had to make a left hand 1/2" Whitworth nut or two here in the past.I usually drill and tap the bolt head then part the head off,..fairly straightforward.I have a 1/2" Whitty left hand tap here,and i think i also saw one in the old blokes workshop the other day?
I will be poking around at the lathe later today,and will be at the P.O. a little bit through the week.
...it's up to you if you would like one made.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 03:10:35 AM
Registered-III

Walked into my local bolt shop today and asked if they had any of those hard-to-get nuts. The answer was "How many do you want?" If you phoned Wimmera Bolts & Fasteners, 03 5381 2100, I think they might post you one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Schulz For This Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 03:42:14 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
Inter Bloke,..if you pm me your mailing address i will stick a good sized 1/2" or similar bolt in the lathe and make one for you.I have had to make a left hand 1/2" Whitworth nut or two here in the past.I usually drill and tap the bolt head then part the head off,..fairly straightforward.I have a 1/2" Whitty left hand tap here,and i think i also saw one in the old blokes workshop the other day?
I will be poking around at the lathe later today,and will be at the P.O. a little bit through the week.
...it's up to you if you would like one made.
What, are they running the annual "good blokes awards" down in Allansford this week?
Old 06-17-2019, 04:33:07 AM
Registered-I

covs fasteners in bunbury stock whitworth and unusual nuts and bolts i have not been for awhile i bought all mine from there for rebuilds worth giving a call.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronald shane newport For This Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 06:13:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,983 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
What, are they running the annual "good blokes awards" down in Allansford this week?
... it goes against the natural grain for me Darryl.People who know me will tell you that,...so unless we import a judge from up your way,..there's not much show of me picking up a prize.

I did ask for something similar not long ago,from a complete stranger on the net.He just popped it into a post pack and wouldn't let me pay.
It's never a good idea to cultivate a short memory for those kinds of things,..."what goes around comes around",..and all that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post: