Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Worthington Blue Brute 85 tow behind air compressor - HELP!

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1064 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2017, 04:44:56 PM
Registered

Default Worthington Blue Brute 85 tow behind air compressor - HELP!

Hi, we just bought a tow behind air compressor for an event we have coming up fast, and although I have it running and producing air I have a few issues/questions. The engine oil (4 cylinder International) was clean and full. The compressor side very black and seemed to be fairly low. Unfortunately there is no sight glass or dipstick so I am not sure where "full" really is. The instructions on the machine say to use either 10w40 or SAE 30 oil in the compressor. I have no manual and have not been able to find one. Worthington has not responded to my questions so I am out of luck there too. I drained the old oil out (about a gallon) however I have ready that some of these compressors take up to 5 gallons of oil. There is a filler neck to fill the oil about a third of the way up the compressor. I am not sure if this requires oil to be filled to the neck where it is visible? That would likely be about 3 - 4 gallons. When I did run it with the old oil in it, it seemed to blow a bit of oil out of the air line, and the air also got pretty hot. Not sure if it matters but the outside temp. here now is about 90 degrees. The compressor is an 85cfm Mono Rotor and from roughly the 1970's. Any help on what the oil capacity of the compressor side of this might be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you