Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Associated "Hired Man"

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 1333 times

Old 06-24-2019, 02:50:40 PM
Subscriber

Default Associated "Hired Man"

Normally I hang out on the Onan forum, and lurk here at times. Today I acquired my first hit and miss engine. An Associated "Hired Man" Serial 129870. Rescued it from the scrap pile in an OfferUp ad. It looks to be complete. Nothing is stuck except the valves. Also appears to have been rebuilt at some point, and I believe it has been run within the last 10 years. The main and rod bearings seem to be good.

Time to do some research and see what I can learn! My intent is to get it running again. I am a very experienced mechanic (small engine, diesel, tractors, etc), but this one is a new world for me. Particularly the ignition system. Any advice or pointers would be welcome, but I will also peruse the forum here to see what I can glean from it. So far it's still on the truck and I've soaked all moving parts with penetrating oil. Going to read and learn before I start taking things apart...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6246134.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	337801   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6246135.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	337802   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6246132.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	337803   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6246136.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	337804  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ArodaPowerCo For This Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 02:59:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Associated "Hired Man"

That is a nice engine for your first engine! Have fun, you will enjoy it. And you got the CRANK with it and it's complete!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:41:49 PM
Subscriber

Congratulations on your first hit and miss. Glad you saved it from being scrapped. I have a 1 3/4 hp. Associated that is basically about the same as yours. Nice runners once tuned in. If you take the magneto off, be careful of the threads in the base that mounts it. Mine is pot metal and the threads got messed up. I had to JB weld them, then drilled and tapped them. Parts are pretty easy to find. Have fun with it!
The Following User Says Thank You to CBarth66 For This Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,460 Posts

Nice first engine! Now you have a addiction lol, first things on.your order list from the sponsors on top of page, would be a igniter spring, the flat spring under the gooseneck trip . That is the same mag that was used on John Deere engines ,except for gear,and be careful of the bolts make sure they go back into same hole they come out of to. Make sure the Gov collar will slide good on crankshaft with no binding first thing . These are good runners when dialed in and a tip is to use a battery and coil to start the first time so you dont wear your arms out, Do NOT RUN BATTERY VOLTAGE THROUGH MAG, the igniter points should be about a, 1/16" or thickness of a dime, for battery and coil running there should be a little spring that holds point open to front post under igniter, it goes to rear post on mag running. The little bolt with nut on gooseneck trip on top of the flat spring in bad shape adjusts timing ,out or up for retard in for advance, to time mag to igniter. Rotate engine notice which way mag gear rotates, when igniter snaps the little button behind mag gear, L or R should go in depending on mag gear rotation, before this the igniter should be at right gap as mentioned earlier.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00:31 PM
Subscriber

Here's some articles to help get you up to speed on the low tension ignition system on your engine...

https://www.old-engine.com/magign.htm

https://www.old-engine.com/maglco.htm

https://www.old-engine.com/maglma.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScooterBob For This Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 08:11:12 PM
Subscriber

I already have the "Green Disease" addiction. I have 6 old Onan generators. Plus some other old iron. A 1967 Cub Cadet that I mow my grass with, a wood splitter powered by a 1950's Wisconsin THD, an International Cub that does the garden work... Suffice it to say I love old iron of any variety. My dad took me to the Somerset, VA Steam & Gas Pasture Party when I was a kid in the early 90's and I was hooked. It's what sparked my interest in being a mechanic, and I've wanted a hit and miss engine ever since. Never been able to find one I could afford but now nearly 30 years later I've finally got it.

Thanks for the pointers on the ignition. I'll get that stuff straight. Need to read up on how they work. The oldest ignition I'm familiar with is the Fairbanks Morse magneto on a couple of Wisconsin THD's I have. I think the first order of business will be to pull the head and get the valves sorted out. The bottom part of the cylinder has some surface rust and gunk on it, so I'll pull the piston and get the machine shop to run a couple strokes with a dingleberry hone just to get it cleaned up. I've currently got the flywheel locked in position so it won't get turned over and drag the piston rings across the rust. It's not stuck but I don't want to move it.

Thanks again, and I'll keep posting pictures of my progress!
The Following User Says Thank You to ArodaPowerCo For This Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 08:16:47 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArodaPowerCo View Post
Thanks for the pointers on the ignition. I'll get that stuff straight. Need to read up on how they work.
Once you get it straight, you'll be smacking yourself in the forehead because of how simple it is.