Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Wisconsin, Need 5-3/4" diameter Pistons

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 3255 times

Old 07-09-2015, 06:33:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,770 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin, Need 5-3/4" diameter Pistons

You could make one. A billet of aluminum and a milling machine and lathe plus some time add and subtract money as needed.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2015, 06:45:53 PM
Registered-II

I have considered that machining from billet option. I am not sure I can get the right type aluminum by using billet material. I may yet look at getting some investment castings made or just go out and buy a set of four custom pistons that are fit to my bores and ready to install. In this hobby it is just time and money...which do we want to invest and and to what level are we able.
Al
Old 07-17-2015, 02:33:35 PM
Registered-II

Just a note for those who may be interested in custom pistons needed for one of our antique engines. I checked EGGE, Carillo, Keith Black and Ross as possible piston suppliers. I found that Keith Black, a subsidiary of United Machine, does not at this time build custom pistons. They are trying to get set up to do so in the near future, it may be worth a check back. They have their shop in Douglas Ariz. Next, EGGE does do pistons, we all knew that, but they are more money and 5 week turnaround. Carillo can also do the king sized pistons but are about the same money are EGGE. Lastly, I checked with Ross Piston. They were the least money and shortest turn around time. This is my learning at this point in time. I need to have the Wisconsin Jugs cleaned up to determine exactly what sized piston to have made. More later on this subject.
Al
Old 07-20-2015, 02:20:49 PM
Registered-I

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...engine-188057/ Have you seen this thread?
The Following User Says Thank You to P Stier For This Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 03:40:51 PM
Registered-II

Hello P Stier,
Yes I have seen, read and contacted Terry Harper regarding his Wisconsin engine project. My engine is the same size (bore and stroke) but is only a 4 cylinder not a 6 like his. I may not need to bore my jugs as they appear to only need or can get by with a solid hone job and new pistons. I will be going with Ross for new pistons, unless something better comes along.
Al
Old 09-04-2015, 11:08:17 PM
Registered-II

Greetings, I would contact Arias Pistons in California. They are family owned and take Pride in quality and workmanship. They make restoration pistons as well as pistons for Nitro Fuelers. Great People to deal with. The best part is they take time to listen to you and maintain great communication. They can get you going and you will enjoy dealing with them! Check out their website to get the details. Enuf Said.