Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

20 HP REID runs again

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2824 times

Old 09-21-2006, 10:21:48 AM
Registered-II

Photo 20 HP REID runs again

Thanks to some good buddies of mine and a bunch of help, I have a 20 HP Reid back home from Indiana. This Engine spent its entire life in Oil City, PA. and was purchased 2 years ago still in the original power house and went to Indiana. I recently purchased the engine and now it only thumps for fun from time to time. The Flywheels have what I believe to be as casting dates cast into the counter-weights. The left side is dated 10-17-21 and the right side is dated 10-13-21. This engine is unique in that it is totally original with the exception of a replacement cylinder. All of the serial numbers match with the exception of the cylinder. Crank, bedplate, and both flywheels are stamped 13571 Cylinder is stamped 35344. Am I correct in assuming this engine is a 1921 model and spent 84 years pumping oil in oil city, or are those not casting dates. This engine happens to be equiped with a WICO OC mag and runs great. Engine has tons of compression, all original bearings, all original shims (wood for the mains and paper in the rod), and most original paint. It appears that whatever oil company had the engine had painted it silver, but a good carefull cleaning revealed most the original maroon paint. At any rate I tried to get on Bill Tremels site and had no luck as it seems to be down currently. At any rate any information you experts could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Drew
Hopefully the pics come out. Here you go.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2006, 04:05:28 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,137 Times in 761 Posts
Default Re: 20 HP REID runs again

Nice find be careful with the way its resting if it were to tip things could go badly down hill.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:31:22 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: 20 HP REID runs again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cardoza View Post
Nice find be careful with the way its resting if it were to tip things could go badly down hill.
Thank you sir. It is actually very stable. It doesn't move at all when it is running. I have really enjoyed this engine. The only thing I would like to find are the two original cast pot oilers. They were stolen from the fellow I bought the engine from in Indiana. Thanks again, Drew