Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

Ingersoll Rand Spot Air, my new toy.

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3536 times

Old 03-24-2012, 01:58:01 AM
Registered-I

Default Ingersoll Rand Spot Air, my new toy.

Hi Gents, I haven't posted since this time last year. I found a Spot Air R-34 or R-36R - air compressor that is remarkably complete. It has been on a shelf at a drive shaft shop for a long, long time. The engine is free and turns easily. The compressor cylinders make the groaning sound as I turn the engine over.
I am looking for a technical maintenance manual or literature that will help me with the complete restoration that I am going to perform on it. I asked the readers here about it last year and was met with great information on what the mystery 'thing' was that I found.
Does anyone here still own an R-34 or R-36R who can help? Thanks in advance, Dave.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 02:34:46 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,597 Times in 4,250 Posts
Exclamation Re: Ingersoll Rand Spot Air, my new toy.

I have a 3 R-36, if you need help with yours, let me know. There is another thread on these engine/compressors, and there is a guy that has copies of the owners manual available. Most of what you need info wise is there. NOTE: parts are virtually impossible to find. Clean high test gas is a must, if there is any crap in the fuel tank or glass bowl, I would suggest putting a paper element filter in line before the carb. The original screen will not stop fine particals coming from the tank. The filter I used was a clear filter used in the early VW beetles. I think mower shops have them too.. One more thing - SAE 20 oil only, SAE 30 is too thick to circulate properly. Nice find!

Andrew
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27:00 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Ingersoll Rand Spot Air, my new toy.

Thanks Andrew! I think you may have been the guy who responded to my query last year.
The starter pulley is broken and only 1/3 of it remains, but I know an old machinist who has the skill to duplicate anything. I have some bending and welding of metal to do. Lots of cleaning, bead blasting and WW2 Olive Drab paint to apply. Some gasket making and a carburetor to go through before I try to start her up.
Do you know what the valve lash is on the power cylinders?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11:45 PM
Registered

Hello Dave,

I have 3 R-36's one running, one under restoration and the third for spares. Just going to work now but when I get back home I wil send you details where you can purchase a copy of the parts & maintenance manual here in Australia.

You still ocasionaly find parts on Ebay, and the starting pulley you mentioned was for sale on Ebay only a month back. Not hard to make a new one however.

Ian

Ian
Old 03-26-2012, 06:14:51 PM
Registered-I

Fair Dinkum Mate! Thanks for your response Ian. I am flat out like a lizard drinking over this compressor.
I don't know what year mine was built, I just got it on 23 March, '12 and unloaded it from my truck today. I was able to read the data plate, and found that it is indeed a 3R-30. I am guessing that as the last number goes increases, (i.e., 34, 36) they are later production run units built.
So, deductive reasoning leads me to believe that mine may be an 'early model'. What are your thoughts? Dave.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17:11 AM
Registered

Plough Book Sales in Victoria, Australia can supply a photocopy of the original I-R booklet. The owner has a few Spot-Airs himself.
http://www.ploughbooksales.com.au/

It is shown in their on-line listing as...

014706 Ingersoll-Rand Spot-Air Model 3R-36 Air Compressor instructions and parts list photocopy, 44 pages, $22.00.

A lot of good useful information on the Compressor, Magneto, Carburetor etc. The 36 on your data plate refers to its capacity- in your case 36cfm at 100psi though suspect you can crank a bit more out of them. One of mine was last used supplying air for a small portable steam engine with a Knackered boiler for display purposes at engine meets.

I have not heard of a 3-R-34 before, but they did make a 3-R-30. Any information on these units seems very scarce, and I-R themselves don't know about them neither do their Australian agents.

I have seen many of these over the years and all were in railway service, so interested in your olive drab comment- mine were painted bright yellow and came from the former New South Wales Goverment Railways. I suspect that they were all produced after WW2. One of mine has a I-R (Aust) serial plate while the others are marked I-R New York so I don't know if some were produced out here or if all were made in the US.

If anybody can track down any parts and gasket sets I would be interested to know and am also very interested in finding out details of the wheelbarrow arrangement I-R supplied for moving them around, as you have probably found out they are H-E-A-V-Y.

Ian
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23:22 PM
Registered-I

Thanks Ian. I sent an E-mail to Stephen requesting the Manual. Have a nice day!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:49:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,242 Times in 1,655 Posts

Send me your e-mail address and I can send you the manual in an e-mail for free, but you will have to print it out.
Here is a recent SmokStak thread that deals with these air compressors:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101047

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 03-28-2012, 01:10:41 AM
Sponsor

As far as I know, the R-30 and 36 were made around the same time. The last number relates to the Cubic Feet per Minute put out. If I remember correctly, the 30 has slightly smaller pistons and cylinder bores, otherwise is pretty close to the 36 in make up. I have 2 different operating pressures - 80 and 100 PSI, mentioned in paperwork I have, for the 3 R-36. The difference between the power cylinders and the compressor cylinders is only 1/8" (.125")

Ian, The 3 R-36 weighs 265 pounds, dry. The paperwork I have lists 3 different carrying assemblies. The first 2 carry it by the shaft that goes thru the unit, the 3rd has the engine mounted on it, as a 3 wheeled cart.

Optimal valve clearances .011", + or - .001", (.25 to .30mm)cold. The engine uses a good quality SAE 20W oil, above 50 F, and 10W below 50 F. Do not use SAE 30 in it, it is too heavy to work properly in this engine. What ever you do, DO NOT overfill, nor run the engine tilted. It must be as level as possible when running. I would not run a multigrade oil, nor a synthetic oil in it.

Hi Dave, I remember talking to you about that engine, glad to see that you finally got it.

Here in the US of A, I have not been able to pin down exact build dates. If you could get some where you are, could you post them here for us? The only thing I could ascertain was that they went into production in the mid '30s, and were made until the late '50 s. Any dealings I had with I-R directly have been "we never made such a unit". A couple local shops remember them, but have no info at all.

For those of you needing gaskets, try making a tracing or an oil imprint (lightly oil the face of the surface and then place it on a piece of yellow or light blue construction paper, then quickly outline the oil contact area with a pencil. Then contact a gasket maker like Olesons or Gaskets to Go (I think both are sponsers here on the Stak), and have them made. Of course you could try making your own as well. One quick note on gaskets for these units: They like to loosen head nuts, and blow the head gaskets, especially on the power cylinders! I have had to tighten mine 3 times, since I bought it. I suspect a design flaw - not enough cooling on the heads allows them to expand and contract more than a standard head, thus loosening the nuts as the gasket compresses due to the expansion. In the paperwork I have, there are no head nut torque specs - just tight is mentioned.
Andrew
Old 03-28-2012, 07:48:16 AM
Registered

Just a thought on build dates...

Would it be possible to arrive at a (very) tentative build date through the serial number of the magneto? At least this may narrow it down considerably.

Ian
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26:21 AM
Sponsor

For the WICO mags, in all probability, yes. For the earlier Eissmans, unless someone has a production list, no, as the company is out of business. A 1966 manual I have states the Eismann is NLA, and has to be retrofitted with the later WICO mag. The NY built 3 R-36 I have has the Eissman mag.
Andrew
Old 03-28-2012, 06:48:52 PM
Registered-I

Hi Guys, Boy I have stirred a lot of mud with this strange compressor. I am happy to find that there are more of you that have them.
I looked at the other thread and more info there. Thanks to all who are chiming in to help.
My compressor has an American Bosch Magneto on it. All the exhaust pipes are there and in great shape. I can take measurements for those who wish to repro some. My starter pulley is broken too. Probably a good thing, cause the break is old. With a broken starter pulley, it didn't get much use.
Thanks to all you guys who are talking about this subject. Dave.