Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Workshop engine

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 5184 times

Old 09-25-2013, 10:56:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Workshop engine

That one Tom has is exactly what I'd go for in your shoes. It's a beauty and pretty fairly priced if that water leak under the head is an easy fix. It may not have enough power to run the dust collector along with other things though.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37:29 PM
Registered-III

If I was you I would leave that electric motor in place. Maybe build a nice little cabinet around it with a column or something to hide the belt from view. Then you could run whatever pretty engine you would like to run, just make damn sure the clutch spins freely! In South Louisiana they would call that "makin as if"
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05:22 PM
Subscriber

I was thinking about this thread and had an idea. What about one of the vertical FM diesels? A model 32 would be ideal for this and they can be had in up to 450 hp with 6 cylinders (friggin huge engines) or 40 hp single cylinders. I think a 75 hp 32E-14 single cylinder would be perfect to run this setup and would be efficient and last forever. Even a 40 hp would probably run everything just fine.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:18:16 PM
Registered-I

I really like Toms ruston , and my concern is if it has enough HP... What is the chances of finding a FM 40 hp ? It definitely would do the job , and are very impressive!
Now as the engines get bigger, how much fuel would a FM 40 use in a day?
Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts and ideas!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:09:23 PM
Subscriber

I really don't know how much fuel one would use in a day. It would depend on exactly what model and how much load was on it. The model 32 engines started out as the YV semi diesels. They are the oldest and least efficient. Any of the 32 series are going to be significantly more efficient because they are full diesels with much higher compression. The 32C was the first with direct injection and that also boosted fuel efficiency some. The last was the 32E and they started production some time in the 30's. A 32E12 single cylinder is the smallest of the vertical single cylinder engines and it's rated at 60 hp at 360 rpm. The 32E diesels were pretty efficient engines and almost as efficient as a brand new diesel engine. Personally, I think a 23E14 single cylinder would be the coolest because a single cylinder is rated at 75 hp at 300 rpm. You could run it a little slower, say 200 rpm and it would be much quieter than a 12 inch engine running 360 rpm and it would still have plenty of power. Finding them just takes some patience. They come up for sale every now and then, but if you put up a wanted ad, someone may cough one up sooner.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,815 Times in 632 Posts

Put your shop to work, then do a current draw of your motor. Some calculations may show you are using far less than 40 HP.

Also, use a light oil on your line shaft bearings. Have read that the line shaft system in factories could absorb 30% of the power plants's HP.

Pete