Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units

Vivian Engine Works and generator sets

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2694 times

Old 03-01-2015, 11:00:51 PM
Registered-II

Default Vivian Engine Works and generator sets

Just wondering if anyone knows much about this company. Apparently they were active from the late 30's and into at least the late 40's. Based in Vancouver. Their gen sets were available from 18Kw to 350Kw. 250kw was a 10 cylinder 9" bore 12" stroke making 500 hp. I originally saw the name reading about Yukon gold dredges. Apparently some were equipped with Vivian gen sets. I also read about some having Atlas engines. Apparently it depended on where they operated. Some ran from power off hydro electric dams owned by the mining companies. Others had their own generators and some were run directly off multiple onboard engines which I think was the case where Atlas was mentioned.

Google turned up this newspaper ad from December of 48. Other than that I have not turned up much on the company.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4600,2106650
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 12:11:14 AM
Registered

Default Re: Vivian Engine Works and generator sets

They have a Vivian engine out of a boat at the Chilliwack Heritage Park in Chilliwack BC. They had it all set to run their sawmill, but chickened out, apparently someone told them it could take off if they started it wrong. Not sure if they ever started it or not, I moved away from there 5 years ago.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:13:28 PM
Registered

the Vivian Diesel engines were in lots of the Glen class Canadian navy tugboats, the one I work on named the Glenada originaly had a 8 cylinder Vivian diesel, but they blew it up so the sold the tug to the public, it is now powered by a Cat D399
Old 11-13-2017, 02:07:26 PM
Subscriber

There isn't much information on Vivian for the simple reason that the successor company, Canadian Car & Foundry destroyed all the records, patterns etc. some time in the 1970s. There are still some running in vessels around the world. Like most big, slow-running diesels with proper maintenance they lasted almost forever. They were a fully enclosed engine from the start, so not as fun to look at as the Atlas diesels, but probably easier to operate. Those folks I have spoken to who ran them spoke highly of them, particularly for fuel economy. If you can get a copy of Raincoast Chronicles No.9 there was was an article on Vivian that was written when many of the senior people who had worked for the company were still around to be interviewed. Now, unless someone turns up a stash of literature, that's about all we have to go on. In my research I found all Will Vivian's personal papers were destroyed after his death.