Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

IR Mod 3 - R - 36 spot air

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 721 times

Old 07-16-2016, 11:57:25 PM
Subscriber

Default IR Mod 3 - R - 36 spot air

Hi there.
I have gotten around to work on my compressor that I got last fall at an auction. SN #3R1213. The unit is complete and stuck. I have gotten most of it apart, and things look to be in good condition. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the gears off the top of the crankshaft. There is a 1/2" hex nut ( I think ) down inside the mag gear drive, unable to turn it, not sure if it is right hand or left hand thread. Not wanting to break something, so I could use some help here. Also I have been to the archives and several years ago there was talk of a manual for this machine, if some one has a spare copy would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2016, 02:21:53 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: IR Mod 3 - R - 36 spot air

Bob Whitney,

Not only do I have a manual, but I actually FOUND it! PM me your email address and I will send it along to you.

Steve
Old 07-17-2016, 06:26:12 PM
Subscriber

I believe the thread is right hand. It threads on top of a short shaft that has the governor assembly on it; this shaft in turn threads into the crankshaft. The threads into the crankshaft are definitely right hand, because I just looked at mine, which is all apart. The mag / cam gear is a tight fit onto the crank but not a taper fit. It should slide off with the aid of a puller. Under that is a bevel gear that is part of the starter mechanism; it is also not a taper fit. The other end of the crank has a large fine-threaded nut holding the flywheel on. It is a right hand thread. The flywheel is a tight fit on the crank, but not a taper fit.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:49:50 PM
Subscriber

Hi Guys
Just to let you know that I got the gears off this morning with the help from a gear puller. The shaft extension for the governor assembly didn't have to come off. For those of you that would like to pics, you will have to weight until this old school camera guy gets his film developed. There will have to be a lot of cleaning, there was a lot of sludge, water, and rust inside, all moving parts were seized. Still have to get 2 pistons out, all valves and rocker arms on the power cylinder heads. Haven't found anything broken, well see that turns up after cleaning and polishing. New rings and a valve job for sure. I will keep you guys posted as I progress.
Bob