Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.) Restoring, maintaining and operating Generac generators.

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)

Generac vs Ridgid w/ Yamaha vs Generac

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2112 times

Old 03-20-2017, 01:25:33 AM
Registered

Default Generac vs Ridgid w/ Yamaha vs Generac

I'm stuck between a few models of generators... My use is powering a 1 story home during outages and being portable for mobile usage.
Generac XP8000e is where i'm leaning currently, as its in my price range (used), however the more I look at it, I notice several various models.
Ridgid makes a nice unit too, but is less power. RIDGID 6800 is what i also like, due to its screen/read off. is 6% THD vs Generac's 5%, but also has a Yamaha Engine.

In the Generac's, my delima is between the various models of XP8000e's.
5931-1 | http://gens.lccdn.com/generaccorpora...e.pdf?ext=.pdf
5708-0 | https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.amc&cad=rja
5606-0 | https://www.generatorpros.com/pdfs/p...0180350SBY.pdf

From looking online, I think the Generac may have a electric throttle on some and mechanical on others. Also the weight can be anywhere from 180-249Lb depending on models. I'd like to find the newer control panel ones due to the fact it can idle when not in use, however the older models surge capacity is 12000w vs the newer ones are 10000w. The muffler on the newer units appears much larger and assume noise would be too. Engine size is also slightly smaller (407 vs 410).

Thoughts around these various units? Anyone own either of these? I'd assume I will easily get 1,000+ hours and years of service from either with proper maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 07:22:06 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,797 Times in 3,164 Posts
Default Re: Generac vs Ridgid w/ Yamaha vs Generac

Based on my experience with Generac portables during an ice storm several years ago, I would not assume a 1000+ hour service life for any of them.

I have no relevant experience with the Ridgid product or Yamaha utility engines.

Here are some reviews for your consideration from a source other than Generac's site.

https://www.amazon.com/Generac-5606-...&sortBy=recent
Old 03-20-2017, 12:14:25 PM
Subscriber

Realistically the Generac is good for 500 hours maybe more if you keep up with the maintenance. Its also full pressure lubrication with spin on oil filter. Larger recoil than the yamaha. find larger diameter ones easier to pull start being it has the mechanical advantage.

Rigid is the MZ360 from Yamaha, its splash lubrication. Still, its a well built motor. Less running watts than generac, but you get the smart display which shows actual watts rather than generacs power bar. My friend has the Rigid and he said hes been running well.

Either machine has its pros/cons. If it were me I'd get the generac only because of the heavier built engine. The XP series is the best of the portables.

FYI, both machines have mechanical governors. You wont see any electronic assisted governors with stepper motors until you get to the 10k and above machines.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:15:09 PM
Registered

Ok, so just my typical luck, Generac has discontinued the XP8000e for whatever reason. I was going to buy used anyways, but not too encouraging now. They did make it with a 410cc and lastly a 407cc so I'm hoping there wasn't too many issues with that engine.

Additionally I found Ridgid did make a 8kw/10kw generator with 6% THD vs the 5% the Generac made. See below for a link to eBay. It uses the Suburu EX40 Engine. Still lacks the Oil pump the generac has, but has an OHC vs OHVI on the Generac.

Thoughts between the two? I'm a tinkering type guy, and would imagine its easier to find parts for the Suburu EX40 vs the Generac 407cc on the XP8000e?

I'm torn between the two, but still leaning towards the Generac. There has to be a reason the Generac sells for $2500 and the Ridgid was around $1000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ridgid-RD800...3D391740722424
Old 04-16-2017, 09:29:13 AM
Registered-III

Since you are a tinkering kind of guy, I would look for a decent shape 6.5NH Onan to use as a emergency generator. Not electronics to fail and they are 1800 rpm, so it doesn't sound like it is tearing itself apart. Plus they hold about 3-3.5 quarts of oil so they don't require oil changes as frequently as the single cylinder engines with ~1 quart of oil in the crankcase. The biggest downfall is the weight, so they are not quite a portable. There were many built and many parts are still available new or used. Once you get an 1800 rpm machine, you will never touch a 3600 rpm screamer.

David C.
The Following User Says Thank You to David C For This Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 10:11:22 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,417 Times in 920 Posts

Having been on the receiving end of some of those reviews, I don't give them much credit. Had one customer who was hoppin' mad that his 17.5kw generator was soo heavy and hard to move. Took it in for warranty (we picked it up for FREE even tho he was supposed to bring it in himself. Our service manager bought his sob story about how hard it was to move-when I got to his house, I found he owned a truck AND a front end loader). No output power, found the stator was toast. Generac was leery, but shipped a new stator. Gen starts and runs great, made full load, etc. Took it back to his house, keep in mind he wasn't out one penny. Feeling a little pissed-I opened up his electrical panel. There's the ol' backfeed breaker wired to a inlet. He toasted his own damn stator. He bought it off Amazon and made sure that we knew he was leaving a one star review.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 03:01:31 PM
Registered

The Onan's are too heavy and not portable. Whats its THD? I'd love an 1800rpm gen set, but don't think anything in my price range or mobile will fit. I'd love to stay $1k or less. I can get used XP8000e's and the Ridgid 8KW for under $1k with less than 150 hours tops.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:02:52 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcomput View Post
The Onan's are too heavy and not portable. Whats its THD?
Total harmonic distortion.simple terms it refers to how clean the sine wave from generator is. If its not a smooth wave, and has spikes, jagged edges etc, then sensitive electronics wont like that and could fail..
Old 04-16-2017, 06:22:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,797 Times in 3,164 Posts

If by "portable", you mean two boys can put in the trunk of your car, 5 or 6kW of 1800RPM Onan is not in your future. But the cost should pose no problem unless you are in a big hurry, the last Onan I bought cost well under $1K. THD- most Onan units I've bothered to check looked better than utility power on a 'scope-FYI, in my experience the worry over THD must be caused by advertising hype more than actual problems.

Now my take - The lightest set I have is 2kW/150 pounds, the largest is 15kW and weighs a lot more. ALL of my sets are portable, it just takes a little testosterone and diesel fuel to make it so in some cases. Seems to me as if you are determined to have a light weight, light duty set, and such may be more than adequate for your use. You must be doing something right, to get 1300 hours from a Generac portable.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:58:11 PM
Registered-III

I worked extensively on my neighbors 6.5NH during superstorm Sandy. It was a thirsty beast. It would drink 1.1-1.4 gallons an hour running their house. After the storm they scrapped it without telling me for a 15KW 3600rpm natural gas Kohler genset they bought. I could think of hundreds of better generators for the $13,000 he was taken for to have it installed. The first, second and third storms it was needed, it failed to start. The owner was on a dialysis machine and had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance each storm. They finally got up and sold the house this winter and moved into a retirement home with guaranteed backup power. The new home owners now have a very expensive troublesome Kohler generator. I told the current owner to try and get the original paperwork and have it sent in for warranty work. My Lister diesel generators start easy with the hand crank hot or cold. Im convinced there isnt a more fuel efficient generator than one powered by a Lister diesel. Sure they arent quiet nor lightweight, but they run forever. The best all around "lightweight" generator I have ever seen was a 5KW 3600rpm unit with a Hatz E785 diesel engine putting away at 2200rpm. It was sold by Sears & Roebuck with a Pioneer rebranded belt driven generator head. Anyone who has run a Hatz E785 knows they will run three to four hours on a gallon of diesel fuel for tens of thousands of hours. It would be really easy to belt drive a heavy duty 1800rpm generator to that engine. About the only other good "lightweight" generator I have seen is a 10KW 3600rpm Winpower powered by a F1L208F Deutz air cooled diesel engine. I happen to have one, its about 400lbs. I am in the process of removing the Winpower generator head in exchange for a 5KW 1800rpm Lima. Talk about a fantastic engine, its almost impossible to find a better air cooled diesel than a Deutz.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post: