Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Alternator for Low Wind Speed Wind Turbine Needed

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 10556 times

Old 05-22-2008, 07:54:57 AM
Registered

Default Alternator for Low Wind Speed Wind Turbine Needed

Hi,

I'm finding an alternator which is able to generate 40-50W, but under low rpm.

Anyone can kindly give me a suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2008, 08:15:26 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts
Default Re: Alternator for Low Wind Speed Wind Turbine Needed

Are you trying to go with direct drive? A cogged belt like a timing belt on an automobile would give an efficient, quiet, maintenace free speed increase, you could use a small automotive alternator.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:53:56 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

What type of wind turbine are you using? Stewart, Savonuse or other. Most alternators including auto alternators need to be turned at a fairly high RPM to make power. The only slow turning alternators are ones wound with MANY poles to make AC power with an external exciter which are diven at a CONSTANT speed. You will not have a constant speed with wind. You will need to generator DC current to charge battery and then use an inverter to make AC. You might be better using a DC genertor that self-excites when the wind come up to charge a battery bank. This way you would not have to have a switch, a zero speed switch, that would excite the alternator when the wind came up because you can not have the alternator energized all of the time as this would be a lost of energy. You will need to look into some type of gearing system to speed up the relative high torque/ low speed from your wind turbine to the high speed/ lower torque need for a alternator or generator.
You might also look into a permanent alternator like some of the older British motorcycle used but if you use something like this you will have to deal with VERY high output in high wind situation that could damage you battery storage system. I guess what I am trying to say is,IF IT WAS IF IT WAS SIMPLE WE WOULD HAVE SYSTEM LIKE WHAT YOU ARE WNATING EVERYWHERE BY NOW.

Kent
Kent
Old 05-22-2008, 11:20:05 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,200 Posts

What JB mentions would naturally give you a two to one ratio, but you could possibly mix and match brands for different size toothed belt cogs.
On Evilbay, there is an outfit in Kansas that has some interesting wiring/controls for a homebuilt wind generator. They call it "Breezy 5.5" and also sell plans and kits. I don't know a lot about these, but they seem to have a lot of good information and ideas. It uses juice from the pole to excite and therefore doesn't backfeed in case of a power outage. Linemen love that feature. It also freewheels until it gets up to speed and then kicks in until it slows down- (if I understood correctly)
Kevin