Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Help identify this horn

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1786 times

Old 07-12-2008, 07:59:09 PM
Registered-III

Default Help identify this horn

My friend while cleaning out an early oil pump house that used to pump oil with a large flywheel engine found this solid brass or bronze horn. He brought this by to show me and asked me if I knew anything about it and I don't as I have never seen one before. This horn is very large and has about a 3/4" or maybe it's an inch tapered inlet on the backside of the rusted steel bracket. I did notice the number "2" stamped very small in various areas of this horn. I weighed this huge horn and it came in at a little over 30 lbs. The brass horn itself must be nearly 3/16" thick the entire length. All I could think was that it might be some kind of warning horn in the event of an over-pressure as there are slits at the base of the horn that would permit steam to escape without the horn blowing but perhaps if the pressure got too high these slits not being able to handle all the escaping steam would divert or transfer the remaining steam into the horn, "warning" working persons in the area that something was amiss. Am I on the right track and just whistling a good guess???? Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	35935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	35936  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2008, 12:18:03 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Help identify this horn

Fog horn off ocean going ship? Our Boro First Aid Squad has a similar looking horn atop the Boro Municipal Building approx 100 yards from my back door and it's an ear drum agitator! When looking at it thru binoculars it looks like this one except it's black.. Don't know what material it's made of but if it were brass it could be black as the patina will eventually turn almost black.
They're building a new copy of the original Boro Hall, much to our streets dismay, and tearing the old one down. They have discontinued using "that horn" and have installed some type of electronic warbler speaker which is just as annoying as "that horn"..So I would assume that one of the big wigs either has "the horn" or soon will!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:47:04 PM
Subscriber

Maybe its worth the trip down to the building and offering the job super $100.00 bucks for it
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49:22 AM
eMail NOT Working

I thought of that, but Rumson is so politically orientated that you can't do anything unless your name is 1 of the 4 prominent names in town! I'm sure that it will end up at one of their homes, if it isn't already there! Have to wait for the leaves to fall before I can see if it's still there..

Gene