Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Shop heat (wood stove)

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 4426 times

Old 01-14-2010, 01:15:05 AM
Registered

Default Shop heat (wood stove)

Looking for more heat. I have a wood stove now. I had an old oil stove before. My son saw an old wood furnace where some one added alittle wast oil to help out. What do you use and any Ideas what you guys think. John
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 02:59:01 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,483 Times in 515 Posts
Default Re: Shop heat (wood stove)

i have a wood stove but have switched to coal. coal has pros & cons but i like it better. there is no splitting, there are way more btu's in coal so you can store more fuel in a smaller space, doesn't need constant feeding, and burns way hotter. the down side is the ash.

price here is about $220 a ton (6 55 gallon drums worth), we use 1/2 to 3/4 of a ton a winter and i can get it around 50F in my shop space which is 30'x30' room (closed off from the rest of the shop) cinder block with 2- 5'x6' single pain windows(zero r factor), a steel main door and a 10'x10' wooden overhead door(zero r factor as well). i am only using a dinky 12"x16"x32" wood stove and if you are moving around you will sweat with a sweatshirt on.

i'm sure if we replaced the windows, garage door and installed some ceiling fans it'd get to about 70.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:53:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,298 Times in 306 Posts
Photo Re: Shop heat (wood stove)

I am running a home oil furnace in my shop and I love it. I do need to make a deflector for the plenum since there are a few "cold spots" but it works great and heats my 2400 sq ft shop nicely. The big thing is good insulation and insulated windows & doors....

I have used more fuel than I should have this winter but only because I had to keep it warm when the mud/tape & paint went on and a few other things that required a warm environment for an extended period...

My website
Old 01-14-2010, 11:34:16 AM
Registered

I have seen somebody rig up an oil drip to a piece of angle iron going into the stove and dripping on the wood.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:14:33 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoogie View Post
the down side is the ash.
I am also considering a fuel other than wood. Not familiar with burning coal. What problem is their with the ash?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:13:04 PM
Subscriber

Red face Re: Shop heat (wood stove)

I bounced back & forth between oil and wood. Right now I have a pretty decent deal on heating oil, if and when that goes away I may switch to wood since I have 10 acres of trees around me.

My website
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30:36 PM
Registered

jim sherman what is that newway lurkin by your furnace there
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10:52 PM
Subscriber

New Way: hinged base 3 1/2HP with a Bosch mag......

My website
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29:17 PM
Subscriber

I heat my garage with a 90'000 btu oil fired suspended hot air unit with a back up pot belly stove. When Electric goes out 60x30 peak roof with attack heavily insulated 2 10x10 2" insulalted over head doors an a people door leave the heat on all season up in northern NY state leave it down to 45 when not there an 50 to 55 when working uses a 275 gallon tank a year.Also have ceiling fans

Joe
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30:41 PM
Registered

I use an alaska stove...but if I want fast heat..I use a torpedo heater to get up to temp.. then maintain with the stove
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,784 Times in 357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve V. View Post
I am also considering a fuel other than wood. Not familiar with burning coal. What problem is their with the ash?
We burn chestnut size coal in our Harman insert in the livingroom fireplace. Some people complain about the fine ash dust. I find it's greatly reduced by shaking the grates to drop the ash in the pan and then waiting a minimum of 30 minutes before taking it out. Not only is the ash slightly cooler ( meaning it doesn't have hot coal embers in it ) but it gives time for the dust to settle.

Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff in PA For This Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 09:08:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,784 Times in 357 Posts

Here's another option if you want to keep it warm.

That's a gravity feed Franco-Belge oil burner. Think big ( but clean ) kero heater. Requires no electricity to run and throws off some nice heat. We have one "idling" in the basement and it's very efficient.

We also have a four tank set up too. ( main heat is oil fired hot air but it hardly goes on with the coal insert burning)

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2362A.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	71301   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2273A.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	71302  
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12:32 PM
Registered

Back in the days when I lived in cold climates I ran wooden boatyards. I used 55 gallon drums as wood heaters. The problem with commercial wood heaters is you can't get enough wood in them to get a real fire going. I can get a 55 gal. barrel so hot you can't get within six feet of it.

A friend of my father years ago managed a small bus company in Virginia, (which means he was mechanic, driver, and boss as well). I remember the cast iron coal stove that heated the shop. They had a 55 gallon drum up in the ceiling joists full of burnt crankcase oil from out of the buses. It came down a copper tube into the top of the coal stove. Talk about putting out some heat. I've seen that stove glowing bright red. That big old four bus garage was like a sauna.

R
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25:33 PM
Registered

Here is a pic of the stove we built for the shop last month. It can burn wood or coal. It worked out really good, and is also saving me LOTS of $$$. We have a large hanging gas heater that we have always used in the past and those gas bills get really scary in january and febuary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stove 1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	71311   Click image for larger version

Name:	stove 2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	71312  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D Booher For This Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 10:10:38 PM
Registered

right now, i use one of those quartz heaters out of the Northern tool catalog It hangs from the celing, and has the choice of using either one or two elements. it also has a small halogen light, but I disabled that feature. i also have a large pot belly coal stove that I'm eventually going to put in for when it gets real cold. call me a sicko, but i actually like the smell of burning coal.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43:08 PM
Sponsor

We built a shop inside our barn, it is 33x33 with a 17' ceiling, it has a12x16' wood overhead door with 2 rows of single pane windows on 1 side, and a 10x12' steel insulated door on the other. We put plywood 2' in from the outside wall and filled the space with dry sawdust for insulation the ceiling is covered with 2-3' of sawdust as well, our farm is in a rural area and dad said that if it should catch fire the sawdust will only smoulder, and maybe the local fire dept. will be able to put it out in time. We currently use an old wood & coal stove rescued from a town hall for heat, It can be -30 outside and I can be sweating in the shop in 1 1/2 hrs.in my T-shirt, using mostly dry willow or cottonwood for fuel.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04:45 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,483 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve V. View Post
the ash is very fine and light. if you rake it out when it is warm it floats into the air and sticks to everything, when it's cool it doesn't seem to be much better. i usually clean the ashes every other day.

the pros seriously outweigh this one downside.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBoogie For This Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 07:47:03 AM
Registered

Photo Re: Shop heat (wood stove)

I use an oil fired hot air trailer furnace with a farmstat and keep my shop (about 1500 s.f.) at about 45 degrees, warm enough not to freeze up or make me shiver when I get out there in the morning, then kick it up to 60 for ten minutes or so and let it warm up while I light the wood stove, then shut it back down and let the wood stove take over. I like to stand by the wood stove and ponder things sometimes, makes me feel good, can't get that from an oil burner. I spend about $100/$150 a season on the oil plus a couple gallons of gas to run the chain saw.

Jim, what is the thing mounted on the wall over the oil filter? I've played with quite a few oil burners and never saw one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0628.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	71339  

Last edited by GeneratorGus; 01-15-2010 at 07:53:43 AM. Reason: Forgot my freinds, makes them happy too.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:34:16 AM
Subscriber

Red face Re: Shop heat (wood stove)

That thing mounted on the wall above the filter is called a "Tigerloop" it's supposed to remove air bubbles from the fuel, does it really do any good? Who knows... it came with the used furnace when I bought it so I said what the heck and put it in... I never ran one on the other oil furnace I had in my old shop and it seemed to work just fine without it....

My website
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25:10 PM
Registered

gomer, About that sawdust insulation, a few years ago, an old cold storage building caught fire here in Tacoma. It had a brick exterior, and was in the process of being renovated. it also had about 6 to eight inches of sawdust in the walls for insulation. the fire was started from a spark from a cutting torch, and because of the sawdust, the fire burned for three or four days. needless to say, the building was a total loss. Sawdust insulation will burn.
The Following User Says Thank You to loggerhogger For This Post: