Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

I need help with a 15hp Reid

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 3810 times

Old 05-18-2010, 11:27:01 PM
Registered-II

Default I need help with a 15hp Reid

Well, to make a long story short, I bought a rough 15hp from Tom Schoolcraft in 04. It was really rough and stuck tight, but anyway I got it freed up and then I got sidetracked for several years but I am back at it now.

The main piston was back off of TDC about 4 inches when it was parked and the charging piston was close tot he top of the stroke. The point of this is it sat for several years and is pitted pretty bad, so the compression is somewhat low, though I have not tried a "good" Reid to compair to.

I bought a new ignightor and safety valve from John Burns, and have got the gas plumbed up temporary to get it going before I really get involved getting it cleaned up.

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow of the temporary plumbing. But for right now I have a 1" pipe coming out of the regulator gas valve to a 90 then to a 1" ball valve to a low presure regulator, then to the tank. From the low presure regulator to the gas/air regulator valve is about one foot.

I have been trying to crank it for two nights with out success, though I am getting better results. I can now purge the gas out of the engine, the following the directions, turn the gas on, then start with the charging piston at the top of the stroke rotate the flywheels forward (toward the back of the engine) one half turn to get a charge of gas, then rotate forward to charge the main cylinder, then quickly rotate back for compression to fire. Now, it will normally fire one time like this. rotate one complete revolution and not fire again, then coast to a stop at the top of the next stroke. I then have to vent the cylinder and start the process over with the same results.

I've tried getting the hot tube hotter and also cooling it down.
I have increased the presure coming out of the gas tank.
I have varied the settings of the gas/air regulator valve, with no apparent change in starting.

Do I need to put a large volume of gas close to the regulator valve? Do I need more or less gas presure? What should be the setting of the air/gas regulator? I have tried it with it clossed and fully open with no apparent change in perfomace. Whqt is the proper setting of the air regulator? Any help would be appreciated.

David
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2010, 11:45:25 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: I need help with a 15hp Reid

More gas. Way more. As soon as it fires, it's too lean on the next intake stroke.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:36:19 AM
Registered-III

I have a 12 hp and install a needle valve to control gas flow. I find when mine bumps once but won't go its usually flooded.
Thats why when you purge, it bumps again. I say try less gas.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06:15 AM
Registered-II

Photo Re: I need help with a 15hp Reid

Thanks for the replies. Here are a few pictures (if I did it right) of my set-up. Cutting the gas down will be simple and quick, I can try it though I have tried it on the lean side. Eric are you saying I need something like a small tank right infront of the air/gas regulator? I was actually thinking about using an air brake tank off a large truck and putting it in-line where I have the 6"long 1" pipe.

I also don't understand the air/gas regulator. What should be the settings for it?

David
Old 05-19-2010, 09:14:02 AM
Registered-II

Let me try it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0518102057a.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	79348   Click image for larger version

Name:	0518102058a.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	79349   Click image for larger version

Name:	0518102058b.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	79350  
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57:07 AM
Registered-III

Well, so far you've been told too much gas and not enough gas. I think the gas is fine. You need less air, plug all the other holes in the intake and put a ball valve in one of holes. This way you can restrict the air intake. This is not just for Reids. I run all of my propane engines this way.

I run my 15hp Reid with the same size ounce regulator you are using, no volume tank is needed. I use an old 3/4" brass valve on the air intake. When I start the engine the valve is 1/2 closed, once its running it the valve is nearly completely closed. I run my engine at about 50 RPM's or slower. And the compression on my Reid sucks!

Every engine is a little different than the next, It just takes some time to figure out what your engine wants.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:22:32 AM
Registered-III

the gas set up is fine to get it running. leave the air intake alone for now. no need to choke it down while you'r learning to get it running. with the charge piston all the way in, turn the flywheels backward, ( top of flywheel toward the hot tube ) 1/2 turn to pull the charge piston out of cylinder. then turn the flywheel forward, ( top of flywheel away from the hot tube ) 1/2 turn to put the charge piston all the way back in. this charges the firing cylinder. then with a hard pull backward, ( top of flywheel toward the hot tube ) it should hit and fire back forward and run. it is difficult to learn what a small reid likes with a ball valve. this engine should run fine with a valve opening the size of a 1/8" welding rod. you probably should have an acumulator tank on the gas because it will help with the small propane tanks freezing off. even my 25 reid floods easily, so clean out the cylinder if it doesn't start with a couple of pulls. i wouldn't worry about the acumulator right now. keep the hot tube a little cooler when trying to start by hand. this will retard the timing a little and be less chance of it kicking back early before main piston is back into cylinder. if engine starts running backwards, (top of flywheel towards the hot tube), shut off gas and open compression release immediatly. you will have to experiment with the governor if yours in operational. hope someone else chimes in on the governor.

rod

Last edited by Rod Fielder; 05-19-2010 at 12:06:19 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-19-2010, 12:21:09 PM
Registered-II

Rod,
I can consistantly get it to fire one time, following the directions like you stated. The problem I'm having is; it won't fire on the next revolution, then on the third rev it doesn't have enough power to get through the compression. Sometimes it acts likes it wants to, burps a little before the top of compression. On the valve opening are you meaning to just crack the valve open 1/8 of an inch?

Doug,
I don't understand what you mean about plugging all the other holes in the intake.

David
Old 05-19-2010, 12:38:34 PM
Sponsor

David, I had the same problums with my engine to. I could only get it to run one cycle, I did have a leak at the transfer valve that I sealed up with a new copper ring. You can test if you have a good seal by unbolting the charging cylinder rod and pusshing the cylinder all the way in, then move the main piston in to compresion and if the charging cylinder stays put you have a good seal. Check your valve spring tension on the transfer valve, should take around 10 pounds or less of lift to open, I have been told. You may want to move the gas inlet pipe to the other side so you can check the gas by lighting it, most people use a 10 inch exstention pipe. If yo have no govner and are using the dimond gas valve to regulate flow then seal up the small holes in the back of the fuel valve, will cut down on air intake. Reids flood real easy I have the bad back to prove it. I found out I was running my hot tube to hot and turned it down some, you can get a shorter tube if timeing is a problum. I have problums with some of the new style propaine tanks not supplying enuff gass do to the safty regulator flow valve built into them, so I do use a gulp tank. Good Luck. Phil
Old 05-19-2010, 12:47:55 PM
Registered-III

your engine should have a diamond valve on it. the opening is diamond shaped, and only needs to be opened 1/8 to 1/4 turn to operate correctly. on the ball valve, i'm not sure how much to open it, but i would try with just a little. what we do when adjusting a valve is to open the valve a little and light the air intake on the carb so the flame is about 8" tall. i am not going to reccomend this to you, because of the danger involved. when you turn the flywheel to pull the charge piston out of it's cylinder, it will pull out the flame. always have a fire extinguisher around when doing this. this will let you know how much fuel is coming into the carb. be carefull if you try this, but i have never had a situation occur doing this.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:03:32 PM
Sponsor

Just stating again,I would move your gas valve to point to the other side and not be in front of the air intake. This way you can install a pipe or ball valve, and if for some resone the valve leaks it will be away from the intake. You can not light the gas and check hight where it is at, would be exstreamly danderus. Phil
Old 05-19-2010, 03:28:32 PM
Registered-II

OldironPhil
Are you talking about sealing the holes in the back of the regulators where the control rods come out and attach to the govenor?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:05:59 PM
Sponsor

Yes that would be the gas valve, the hole for the rod and there are two holes where the bolts for the mounting bracket went. If they are open I just stuck bolts in them. Going from memorie, I am out in the field using my laptop. If I remember correctly I pluged the rod hole with a bolt and washer. Will look when I get home. And I bought a dimond valve from John but they do turn up here and on ebay from time to time. Phil

Last edited by OldironPhil; 05-19-2010 at 06:15:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56:05 PM
Sponsor

Both openings in the rear of the fuel mixer needs to be sealed, the main port with the metering rod...if no govener, the throttling port sealed.I run my Reid with an accumlater tank, 7 ounce regulator and a cheep 1/2" needle valve opened about a half turn...the air intake choked down to 1'' pipe with a ball valve opened about half way,the hot tube medium red about 3/4'' up from the bottom my engine is 15hp
Hope this helps
Dave
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09:16 PM
Subscriber

Get yourself a 1/2 inch diamond gas valve. It's all in that small valve. Adjust it by barely pecking on it with something very small. (it's very sensitive). After it won't start, you can check to see if it's flooded by opening your blow-off valve on top of the cylinder. And light a match and have someone roll it over. But be very careful and out of the way so you don't get your whiskers burnt. If there is no flame, there is not enough gas turned on. And you will know if theres too much. They don't need much to start but when it fires, give it a little more (very little).
We have several Reids that someone took both air and gas plungers out of the carb/mixer. They run fine. It's all in the valve and learning what your engine wants and likes. Also make sure the hot tube is red. Keep after it you will get it,I had same type problems. By the way Tom lives less than 15miles from me, he's helped me alot. Skidmore
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24:58 PM
Registered-II

David,

I don't know if I can help you at all with this little tid-bit, but it sounds to me like your gas-to-air ratio is right on the first pull (when you get it to fire) and after that it is not. Are you shutting off the gas after you pull in the first charge? If not, you might be flooding it for the subsequent revolutions (when it won't fire). I have a stop on my gas valve so that once I find where it will fire, I can set it and always open it up to the same place. So, when I start, I kick the valve open to the stop, draw in a charge, kick it off, and then, once it fires again, I turn it back on to the stop. If I leave the gas valve on, it does just what your's is doing and won't take off after that first impulse.

I wouldn't want to start mine without a stop. It's easy to make one: mine's just a half inch set screw through a nut that's clamped to the pipe so that the set screw determines where the handle stops. It keeps you from having to read a dial or figure it out all over again every time you want to run.

My valve's just a ball valve from the hardware, but the diamond kind these other fellows are talking about really is better.

Joel
Old 05-20-2010, 08:56:00 AM
Registered-II

Thanks everybody for the great help. It is getting me closer to getting it to run. Yesterday evening I changed the setup and put a tank in line with the gas, rerouted the gas line to get it away from the air intake, put me a 6" length of pipe in the intake so I could check how much gas I have it set for.

By the time I had got that done I didn't have a lot of time left to try cranking it, but I did a few times. I think I had more control but it wasn't much better. Then after I came in last night and cleaned up and had my supper at about 10PM, I got back on this site and read the new posts with some more great info.

This morning I drug my feet around leaving for work till my wife had left for work and I ran back out to the garage to do some quick checks. I choked the gas down a little more, and didn't have a valve handy for the air intake so I cut the top out of a water bottle and taped it over the pipe in the air intake.

I tried it a few times and the best I could get was fired on the bump, then fired a little on the next rev, and a little less on the third rev. Each time it was a little sess so on the fourth rev it didn't fire and it stopped on the fifth. I did this twice. So I'm close, maybe this evening after I get the lawnmower fixed, (my wife has been on me since last week), but I had to go to Portland, and this week I just had to work on the engine. These engines are worse than crack cocane.

David
Old 05-20-2010, 09:35:41 PM
Registered-II

David, if my engine did that it'd be because the gas was not turned up high enough. Try it again with just a bit more.

Here's an article I wrote for GEM awhile back about getting my Reid going. It's in two parts. Maybe there's something in it that'd be useful to you (and then again, maybe not). I don't run on propane any more other than for starting, but I did at the time I wrote this:

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/g...ine-Shaft.aspx

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/g...haft-Duty.aspx

Joel
Old 05-20-2010, 09:38:49 PM
Subscriber

I dont know if this will help but here is a video of me starting mine. You will notice I prime the engine w/ the fuel just barely on,than I open it up just a smidge when I try to start it. Good luck, Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoQF2F-fA94
Old 05-20-2010, 11:59:08 PM
Registered-II

Well, it's 1030 and I just made it back in. The readers digest version of the story is "IT'S ALIVE". Still needs some tweeking to start easier and run better, but at least it will run.

Joel great information in the article, I'll studie and apply it to my engine.

Tim, great engine, your's sure spins easier than mine. Maybe I'll get mine limbered up in a little while. Your can trick is a lot of fun. When I was stationed in Ohio I used to take my 7hp economy hit and miss engine and do about the same. Except I was using pine cones and shooting them over the house for the neighbor kids to catch. I did it for a while then realized if the pine cone happened to catch on fire and if it didn't make it over the house I could burn the base down, So I stopped it.

Thanks for the help

David