Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Rare Hardy Motor Works Find (long)

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 5775 times

Old 04-09-2011, 08:15:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,349 Posts
Default Rare Hardy Motor Works Find (long)

A friend acquired a rare Hardy Motor Works vertical four cycle engine this week. He is looking for any information on these engines and will share what he knows. We found some in the BYB with a cut-away depiction; one photo taken by Rob Skinner at 2004 Santee Lakes show of a restored engine stating that is was the only Hardy in running condition of the three known and one 2010 post on SmokStak by fcurtis from Australia who has one missing cylinder head & other parts with no replies. From what little we found they were made in 1901 to 1902 in 1 ¼ and 4 hp versions. We think this one to be the 1 ¼ hp engine with 3 ½” bore and 4 ½” stroke, flywheels are 2” wide by 20” in diameter. Serial number on cast brass tag is A 11. This same number is cast in raised letters on base/cylinder casting behind off-side flywheel. Paint looks to be oxblood or a reddish maroon. Owner does not plan to repaint.
1st photo is restored engine taken by Rob Skinner at 2004 Santee Lakes show, 2nd photo shows round carb flange bushed to 3/4" npt, fuel fill elbow, drain petcock for internal water passage. The elbow with plastic barb is cooling water connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardy.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	104336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3559 (Medium).JPG
Views:	591
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	104337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3560 (Medium).JPG
Views:	585
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	104338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3567 (Medium).JPG
Views:	572
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	104339  

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 04-09-2011 at 09:14:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 08:32:02 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Rare Hardy Motor Works Find(long)

Previous owner ran engine with a Briggs carburetor as the original carburetor is missing, patent # 706,050. He thinks he has & is looking for the original timer parts.
Contrary to what Wendel says in the BYB the crankcase is open, not enclosed. It is a very unusual design and must have been a foundryman’s nightmare!
The gas tank is cast in the one-piece base/cylinder and has a drilled passage to base flange to supply fuel to carb thru a right angle check valve. There is also a ¾” npt fill hole.
An open trough is cast under the crankshaft throw for a level of oil into which the connecting dips for splash lubrication.
The base also contains a plunger type water pump run by an eccentric on the crankshaft and has inlet & outlet cast passages from pump to cylinder head.

Carb patent: http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=706,050

1st, off-side flywheel drilled for missing bolt-on pulley; 2nd, proud new owner & governor side flywheel; 3rd plunger type water pump; 4th, cast water passages.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3558 (Medium).JPG
Views:	347
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	104340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3568 (Medium).JPG
Views:	498
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	104341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3563 (Medium).JPG
Views:	362
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	104342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3574 (Medium).JPG
Views:	359
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	104343  

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 04-09-2011 at 09:16:35 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47:38 PM
Subscriber

It also has a cast passage from carburetor inlet flange near bottom of base on opposite side of water passages to cylinder head for fuel/air mixture from carburetor. According to patent original carburetor was a flange mount. Current round two-bolt flange is tapped 1” npt bushed to ¾” npt. Owner will substitute a period carb. Unlikely to find an original & cost prohibitive to repro one from patent drawings!
The connecting rod has split bearing boxes on both small & large ends. The rod has two forged or cast “ears” about 1” long, ¾” wide & ½” thick with drilled holes for long studs that pass thru lower & screw into upper half of wrist pin bearing box to tighten upper bearing. Stud nuts on either side of the ears. I guess this was done to allow access to tighten upper box in the confined space of crankcase.

1st, cast fuel/air intake passage; 2nd, cam gear on left & con rod with studs & ears to secure upper bearing box; 3rd, another of con rod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3573 (Medium).JPG
Views:	235
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	104344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3569 (Medium).JPG
Views:	287
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	104345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3572 (Medium).JPG
Views:	261
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	104346  

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 04-09-2011 at 09:39:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 08:58:52 PM
Subscriber

Governing system is hit & miss with two lolly pop weights & springs in flywheel. Latchout is incorporated into cam follower arm and the round push rod screws into cam follower casting and runs internally to rocker arm on top of cylinder head.
1st, cam follower, roller & cam to right, water pump eccentric in right foreground, vertical latchout under arm; 2nd, cam follower casting showing nut locking vertical round push rod; 3rd, rather poor photo from off-side show con rod & vertical push rod & spring on the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3561 (Medium).JPG
Views:	209
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	104347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3562 (Medium).JPG
Views:	214
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	104348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3575 (Medium).JPG
Views:	203
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	104349  

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 04-10-2011 at 07:17:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:05:26 PM
Subscriber

There is a 3/8" by 3” stud in center of cylinder for what we think is a missing spun cover to enclose the working parts. Intake valve is atmospheric. There is part of a “spark saver” under outboard end of rocker arm to prevent wasted spark when exhaust valve is latched out. The spark plug hole is threaded ¾’ npt bushed down to ½” npt.
It was difficult getting good photos of the many internal parts. The owner intends to remove flywheels to access water pump & properly inspect other mechanical parts. I hope to be able to take better photos then. Certainly an unusual engine with many unique features.

1st, spark plug hole is 3/4" npt bushed to 1/2" npt, small elbow & nipple is cooling water out, spark saver under rocker arm on right; 2nd, spark saver on left missing a part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3565 (Medium).JPG
Views:	268
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	104350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3577 (Medium).JPG
Views:	232
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	104351  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 08:00:42 PM
Registered-III

No responses Doug. Must be really rare.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,045 Posts

Please explain "spark saver", my mind just cannot grasp how a spark is wasted or saved. Very interesting engine.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:44:55 PM
Subscriber

Kris,
Whether a buzz coil or low tension ignition the timer contacts are normally on the cam gear or the push rod. When timer contact is on the cam gear it continues rotating & firing the buzz coil every other revolution(cam is rotating once for every two crankshaft revolutions). Cam gear rotates even when exhaust valve is latched out and engine is coasting. With exhaust valve latched out the outboard end of rocker arm is in contact with spark saver switch grounding out power to buzz coil thus "saving" the battery. If timer contact was on the push rod spark saver would not be necessary as the push rod stops moving when exhaust valve is latched out & engine is coasting.

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 04-10-2011 at 10:07:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Rare Hardy Motor Works Find (long)

The owner & his machinist friend have removed both flywheels to better inspect & service engine. It also allowed me to take some additional photos.
1st shows inside of flywheel with governor weights. The gov. weight gear & sleeve are placed on flywheel hub with gear meshed to flywheel weight arms. The sleeve is notched on one end to fit crankshaft key and rotates with the crankshaft and the gear oscillates several degrees depending how fast flywheel turns and weights move outward. The gear has a small lobe that actuates the vertical latchout arm(shown under the horizontal cam follower arm in 3rd photo. The catch block is seen in 4th photo screwed to forked fitting on end of vertical pushrod. The fork rides on a pin thru the cam follower arm. The push rod is being lifted about 3/4" to show fork & catch block.
The gear teeth have a very sharp profile as machined & not from wear. A piece of gear at 8 o'clock is broken out but does not appear to affect anything as gear only oscillates maybe 15 to 20 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3614 (Medium).JPG
Views:	161
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	105425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3610 (Medium).JPG
Views:	180
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	105426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3616 (Medium).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	105431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3617 (Medium).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	105432  

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 04-26-2011 at 08:04:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:00:41 PM
Subscriber

1st photo shows plunger type water pump which mounts very low in the base and is operated by an eccentric on the crankshaft. Pump mounts using a single bolt & alignment dowel to connect to cored internal water passages.The missing plunger is about one inch in diameter and has to be several inches long to reach eccentric. We assume plunger is hollow part way to contain a spring to keep plunger in contact with eccentric. Not shown is the gland follower & nut.
4th photo shows cylinder from top. Passage at 2 o'clock is for push rod & return spring. Half round passage at 5 o'clock is for fuel/air mix from mixer.

So far inspection has shown than governor side split bronze main bearing has rotated about 30 degress blocking the oil hole & will have to be corrected.

Disappointed that we have not received a reply from other Hardy owners to compare notes. This owner has been playing phone tag with one in California but has not connected yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3611 (Medium).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	105433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3612 (Medium).JPG
Views:	115
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	105434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3618 (Medium).JPG
Views:	113
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	105435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3620 (Medium).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	105436  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,603 Times in 614 Posts

Doug thank for posting this .. a very unique engine and one of the most interesting ones ive seen ...john
The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer John For This Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 06:04:17 PM
Registered-III

Hi Doug. wow a great load of info there. I will pass this on, The engine in question is the one you have mentioned. I was asked some time ago if I knew anything about them. Stumbled across a couple of photos I had hence the post. I have tried to post two photos I have but I keep getting "upload Error" and they don't work? .... mmm will work on it.

many thanks again.
PS: this one is missing the head! just in case theres a spare laying around LoL
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33:09 AM
Subscriber

Here are Russell's photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	junctrally07 (16) (Medium).JPG
Views:	161
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	131072   Click image for larger version

Name:	junctrally07 (17) (Medium).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	131073  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 09:04:40 AM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,354 Times in 543 Posts

Hi All,Just bringing this back to the top. I have been given the task of getting the Hardy that Doug has posted the pics of back in shape.I would like to talk with any owners of Hardys about the ign system.What was on it was something cobbled onto the end of the cam shaft to use a wiper and a finger for use with a buzz coil. While it may have worked for a while the modifications would have worn out the hole for the cam gear pin in the crankcase.Originally the pin was fixed to the crankcase and the cam gear/cam assembly turned on that. It was changed to the pin turning in the CC and the gear/cam set screwed to the pin.The retaining nut for the pin was left alittle loose and set screwed to the shaft.A steel pin was fitted accross the nut. A crude plastic block and brass finger made up the timer.I changed it back to what it originally had with pin fixed.I was thinking that what looks like the spark saver on the top may have been the ign system but that can't work as it has a real long dwell so a regular car coil can't work, It can't be a buzz coil set up as it wouild fire 1/2 stroke early.I had the engine to the Jacktown show this past weekend and asked alot of collectors if anyone had any idea of how/what it was supposed to have.Drew alot of attention but no one had any clue.The action of the push rod is it moves up with the cam lobe for the exhaust and theres a flat spot opposite of the cam lobe that when the cam roller gets to it drops alittle and make those points at the top connect. That happens at the start of the compression stroke. the roller goes back up on the cam base circle right at TDC.While I thought that the points at the top may have been the ign. timer but they won't wok that way as that dwell is too long to use a car spark coil.I was thinking it worked like a car distributor with the points being operated with a cam.I could get a few pops out of it but no run.even cooked a coil.Now I am thinking that the top points are a spark saver and it had something else for a timer.Trouble is there aren't any other holes anywhere in the block for something else.Can't use the timing gear as it's buried in the crankcase.Only other thing is the crankshaft but there no way to mount anything for a timer.Please help. I'll get some pics of it in it's present state. Thanks, Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Charles For This Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 10:16:35 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,589 Times in 903 Posts

Great pictures. Thanks Bill K
Old 07-24-2012, 11:02:54 AM
Subscriber

Rob,
We never got around to running it before my friend sold it. He was going to address a spun main bearing & missing water pump plunger. The previous owner had cobbled up the ignition system & used a motorcycle carb. Do you plan to use the Doman carb I sold him for it?

I found information on this unique engine darn scarce. I send you an email with possible contact in California.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05:46 AM
Subscriber

Thats a cool find!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexbpeterson For This Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39:58 AM
Card Sponsor

Here are some pics of what it looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	140444   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	140445   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	140446   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	140447  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rob Charles For This Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 07:45:52 AM
Card Sponsor

More pics.I reverse engineered the missing water pump plunger. I 1st thought the plunger had a spring on it to keep it up against the ecc on the cam. after making a set up like that and the repaired pump body breaking I redesigned it to have an strap from the ecc. to the shorter plunger. works good now. This engine has a gas tank cast in the base and a water tank above the gas tank also in the base. It was found that water seeps into the gas so I had to put a outside tank onto it .would love to get this to run. Anybody have any idea on what the ign. system looks like? Thanks Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	140448   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	140449  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Charles For This Post:
Old 07-26-2012, 02:06:01 PM
Registered-II

That's a pretty neat engine. I am amazed at how good condition it's in, other than the missing parts. There seems to be very little rust on it, the old oil coating protected it well.

Too bad about the water leaking into the fuel tank. Perhaps you could paint the water tank to seal it? Or if it leaks in slowly, adjust the gasoline pickup higher so it can run a long time until the water gets up to the pickup. It would look good running on its own integral gas tank, instead of an external non-original one.