Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

4HP Myrick Eclipse

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 3281 times

Old 08-10-2011, 12:42:49 PM
Registered

Default 4HP Myrick Eclipse

I'm a bit new to the hot tube and gas fired engines. I bought a 4hp Myrick from a friend of mine and I've been working to get it running perfect.

First off the engine is running on propane and I have an adjustable regulator on a 40# tank. Problem 1: I have to have the regulator turned up to about 30PSI to keep the hot tube burning. If I turn it down it wants to go out or pull back to the mixture air holes of the burner. Currently the hot tube burner and the gas supply to the engine are connected.

Problem 2: If I do keep the gas pressure up to keep the burner going I then have the problem of trying to keep the diamond valve closed far enough to keep the engine from running too rich or being "flooded out".

A friend of mine that is very knowledgeable of oil field engines said that he runs most of his engines off a BBQ grill regulator and doesn't have problems. Unfortunately he doesn't live close to actually see what is going on while trying to run the engine.

Any help would be welcome!
Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 02:39:07 PM
Registered

Wink Re: 4HP Myrick Eclipse

Adam, the regulator is after the tee to the hot tube burner. In other words, the burner is NOT regulated off the tank.

Economybob
Old 08-10-2011, 02:47:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: 4HP Myrick Eclipse

I don't believe the original regulator is not working properly or that it maybe out of adjustment, because it lets a lot of gas through as it is.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23:23 PM
Registered

Adam, I run two regulators on my Myrick eng. One for the burner and one for the intake. You need an expansion chamber for the propane before it gets to the intake. I just have about six feet of three quarter inch id rubber hose to the ball valve and this works fine for me. I have seen some with home-made expansion chambers made from three or four inch pipe about 12 inches long. The propane should be able to expand and vaporize before it gets to the intake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heller D. Davis For This Post:
Old 08-10-2011, 07:01:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,137 Posts

put a gas grill regulator on the engine. use 2 tanks and put the adjustable regulator on the hot tube.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54:32 PM
Subscriber

I second Rod's comment. I'd add a 1-1/4 to 1/2 NPT bushing on the intake chest to choke it down. It will make the gas adjustment less sensitive. Also, take off the diamond valve and close it. Blow on one end and slowly open it until your breath just begins to pass through. Put a small prick mark on the valve scale- this is your closed/ just open position. Then when you try to start it, work from this position as closed- it will make adjustment to get it to fire that much easier. You'd be surprised how "off" some of the scales on these valves are. If it is taking a lot of pressure to run the burner, try opening up the jet hole with a drill bit at a time until you can get it to run on a BBQ regulator. Of course, you may have to open or block off the burner air holes to get a crisp blue flame. If you have a high flame coming out of the top of the chimney, it is burning way too rich.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 07:03:44 AM
Registered

I'll trysome of these ideas one at a time and hopefully get it working! Thanks guys!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:31:27 PM
Registered

I worked on it Friday. I started with the hot tube. I ended up drilling out the gas jet, because some had solder over the end and had a very very small hole in it. I was then able to turn the gas way down to about 2-3 lbs. I started the engine and it ran great and was able to make adjustments with the diamond valve. Saturday I took it out to a show and it ran great for a while until the wind started blowing the hot tube out.

I'm heading in the right direction. I have some other ideas of trying to make it a bit better. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:59:15 PM
Registered

Hi there, I run my Myrick Eclipse using two regulators on the bottle and it will run happily. Take a look at the youtube video, the best advise I can give you is to make sure everything is HOT, their not at their best unless they are throughly warmed up ... you will see the difference between video No. 2 & 3

Carl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41970XmROFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlOB9IEvBNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVNs_...eature=related
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyRelics UK For This Post:
Old 08-16-2011, 09:52:48 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,686 Times in 526 Posts

Adam

You probably know this already but here goes.

Rough and Tumble is this weekend at Kinser and there are several people there that will be glad to talk too you there.

My brother is over in New Jersey and we have a Merick in storage at his place. We just have not had the time to get it out and work on it.