Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Type MB Diesel Generator

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 11458 times

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,327 Times in 725 Posts
Default Re: Type MB Diesel

N1148X,

oh crap! I agologize for losing track of this thread!

Did you ever decide to buy this thing?

The Bodine motor your are speaking of on top of the Woodward hydraulic PSG governor is the speed control motor. Got a spring-loaded toggle switch on the control panel to bump speed up/down.

Thanks for the pics! Ahhh....memories.

If you plan on converting (civiian-izing it), then I think would just make sure everything electrical looks safe, and want to hear it run before purchasing.

If I remember right, (and don't count on it) I think you can put the battle short switch in the active position, turn the auto-off-manual switch to manual, and it won't crank; but you should be able to use the frequency speed control switch and toggle down the speed before trying to start it. If that works, you'll see the little bronze clutch wheel turning while pushing on the toggle switch.

Also, make sure the Auto/Manual voltage regulation switch is in manual, and turn the manual adjust Variac down to minimum.

Again, I apologize for the delayed response.

eric
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2008, 03:32:47 PM
Registered-I

Eric,

No apology needed, but I am very happy to get your response! I haven't bought it yet, but it is still available. My main reservation to buying it is the total lack of tech info I can find. I've had to reverse engineer plenty of stuff to figure out how to repair it over the years and its not fun for me.

Do you have any ideas who might have the manuals on this, or how the TM numbering system works...I find lots of manuals but I have no idea if they're relavant to the MB-17

Thanks,
Larry
Old 07-15-2008, 10:17:07 PM

Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,184 Posts
Talking Re: Type MB Diesel

The Military Tech Manuals are available from various sources online, some for
free, and some for money. Usually the Tm-5-6115-xxx-xx are for Gensets, and
the number is usually listed on the units DataPlate. You will not find what your
looking for, by looking at the OEM Name, as ITT Federal Electric was a company,
specifically setup to manufacture US Military Items, and then folded
when the contracts were finished. Your much more likely to find manuals
in the ARMY Tech Manual Archives, and those will lead you back to the Engine,
and Genend OEM's that supplied those part to ITT Federal who assembled the
actual units, per contract. If you can find someone in your local National
Guard, or Military Reserve, they usually can get the TM numbers from the
FSN designator on the DataPlate, then it is just a matter of Googling for the
TM-5 Manuals from an Internet Library Source.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:22:49 PM
Registered-I

Thanks BTPost,

So can it be so simple that the TM is number TM-5-6115-67AIY1242 (taken from the bottom line of the data plate)?
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...chmentid=35240

Thanks,
Larry
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37:53 PM

Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,184 Posts

That Number is not quite the number your looking for, BUT if you Goggle
the FSN number from your DataPlate your likely to get a lot closer to
finding the Correct Number for the TM Manuals. FSN= Federal Stock Number
by which that Uint is Know, in the Federal Procurement System.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58:48 AM
Registered-III

N1148X,

There is no TM #-series manuals for the MB generators. On your photo of the data tag is a "TO" number--Air Force Technical Order number. TO's are the Air Force's own technical publications. Trying to read your tag, and using my fuzzy memory, I believe the TO number you want are:

35C2-3-341-1 (Operations & Maint)
35C2-3-342-3 (Overhaul-Level Service & Procedures)

And although you wouldn't need it, the parts book was 35C2-3-341-4. In Air Force equipment TO's the -1, -3, and -4 suffixes are uniform in the level/type of book you want. Sometimes replaced by -11, -13, -14. (For example, on the MB's, -1 meant 1st generation hydraulic models, -11 meant elect. governed models/solid state AVR)

I did some looking, but couldn't find anyplace to go to inquire about purchasing such TO's. I don't know if you'll be able to find them or not anymore--I would think somewhere, somebody has them. Pretty sure they were scanned into the new electronic TO system before I retired out in 2002.

Air Force has always been pretty uptight about releasing technical information. Some are identified as "public release--unlimited distribution", but many are not. For those that aren't marked as such, you have to sign up as a DoD contractor to receive them--but I'm not finding much out about purchasing them outright. Maybe someone out there will see this, that has access to such files, and could get a copy. I don't see why an MB-17 wouldn't be unlimited distribution by now.

Anyway, thats the way I remember it!

eric
Old 07-18-2008, 01:10:30 AM
Registered-III

N1148X,

Also, The number you had mentioned is the old Air Force Registration number ("6115-67AIY1242 "). Once upon a time, if it had an engine, they gave the piece of equipment a registration number, whether it moved (ie- a vehicle) or not. Guess someone eventually figured out to just use the serial numbers for them.

6115 is the Federal Stock Class (FSC) for generators, and the rest of the number is the year (67) and the actual serial number at the end (1242). Don't ask me what the AIY stands for!

eric
Old 07-18-2008, 07:22:54 AM
Registered-II

AIY is the "Standard Reporting Designator" or SRD code

A 3 charachter code that denotes/identifies/tracks what the asset is (MB 15 generator,etc) to higher command or logistics people.

Somebody can look on paper and tie everything to do with this generator (repair parts,etc) to this SRD code.

Clear as mud

Brent
Old 07-18-2008, 08:00:24 AM
Registered-III

Oh yeah...thanks Brent! Didn't even dawn on me that it was the SRD code.

N1148X,
Perhaps if you were to get this genset, and chop everything off and start over with a simple controller, then you don't really need the TO. I would say Check with your Cummins Dist. and see if they could get you the old shop manual for the engine. And as for a simple controller, check out Deep Sea Controls, or ECU.

I've used the ECU's, pretty simple/basic unit, and pretty easy install. Buy some new sensors for the oil pres./water temp. alarms.

eric
Old 12-31-2008, 02:17:01 PM
Registered-II

The motor on the fuel system is the governor control motor hooked to the switch on the control panel and controls the spped and how much load it picks up when in parallel operation

Rick Harvey 54350
Old 12-31-2008, 02:58:49 PM
Registered-II

One of the biggest governor problems with the PSG is dirty engine oil and it gets sludged up. You need to change oil regularly and use the proper type oil in the engine as it feeds the governor.

Another good thing is to get a steel wire tooth brush, and disconnect wires and clean the lugs one at a time (to keep them straight).

Somewhere I have manuals on these.

Also check with Sheppard AFB Tx, Electrical Power Production School. They can give you the (manuals) T.O. #s We covered them well when I went thru in 65. I didn't think the Army had these, I thought they were only Air Force, so TOs would be more plentiful.

The MB-Teen series I had were manufactured by International Fermont. I tried to find them also with no luck.

I also had some EMUs 10 and 11 (10 and 5 kw respectively) I would love to find an EMU 10 or an MB 19 or MB-18.

I would get into the electronics of them, which most guys ran from. I now do Huey Helicopter wiring and electronics. Guess what? The schematics are the same! If you can read any military schematics and diagrams, you can read them all. The military did something right for once!

I also loved the old PU-58Gs They never needed any work. They just ran ansd ran and ran and ran.

Had a PE-75 that we hardly ever could get started, but once it did, it ran good.

The main problem I had with the electronic ones was to keep up with corroded terminals. I like to solder all the stay-kons and wire brush them and that fixed most of the problems. Make sure to keep the wiring dry and clean.

Sure wish I could work on some of those babys again. The Hueys are also a lot of fun.

This post is the first one I ever found (this site) that brings back all the good times memories from 69 when I got out. I would love to go back to Thailand, and see the old places again.

I consider myself at DEPOT LEVEL service on the electronics.

Welcome Home Brothers
Rick Harvey 54350
rickchris91@centurytel.net
Old 01-23-2009, 04:15:51 PM
Registered

I have what I believe to be a MB15 16 or 17.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ghlight=genset

link to pictures. any idea what it is and where I can get parts to fix the generator. motor runs very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7122.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	47201   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7123.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	47202   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7124.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	47203   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7125.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	47204  

Old 01-23-2009, 04:23:51 PM
Registered

more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7126.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	47205  
Old 01-28-2009, 12:06:23 AM
Registered-III

jwaller,

You have an MB-17, 60 kw genset.

As for parts--best bet is to confirm the bad part(s), and go for a suitable commercial substitute. I don't know anyone that has any NOS or otherwise for the MB-teens anymore. Thats not to say parts definitely don't exist, just I haven't seen any in a very long time.

If not looking to keep original, and like installing conversions, I'd strip it and install a modern controller/regulator.

eric
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22:15 AM
Registered

thanks for the advise. any suggestions on what genset heads would install onto this engine?

do you think the generator is fine and it's just the controller that is bad? any ideas?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01:01 AM
Registered-III

Generator end is probably good, but there is an easy way to verify. If it runs, you can start it up with the Voltage regulation mode switch in manual. then bring up the Variac transformer knob and see if the voltage rises.

The control panel is going to be very hard to find any replacement parts for, and is complex (read-overengineered). Updating to a modern controller would just simplify alot for you, and increase the genset's reliability.

eric
Old 03-04-2017, 02:12:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: Type MB Diesel Generator

Hi did you ever find any information on your generator