Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

MEP-701A Injector Removal

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 667 times

Old 02-08-2017, 06:24:54 PM
Registered

Default MEP-701A Injector Removal

I have a 701A that I purchased (cheap) that runs terrible. I bought it for the generating head to refit it onto an exisintg motor, but I figured I'd give it a shot making it run right, since it only has 800 hours, maybe it's fixable.

I started to tear down the injection system piece by piece to ensure that everything is in good shape and replace where needed but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the diesel injector itself.

The manual says to remove the fuel line, then retaining bolt, and then "remove the injector" I've tried prying on it with a tuning fork and a lever arm, but I'm afraid to put much more force on it (levered on a 12" fork with most of my weight) lest I break something.

Is there a trick to removing the injector? The picture in the manual showed the valve train removed... but the instructions did not specify that anything at all other than the retaining bolt and fuel line needed to be removed.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2017, 12:29:41 AM
Registered

Default Re: MEP-701A Injector Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
I have a 701A that I purchased (cheap) that runs terrible. I bought it for the generating head to refit it onto an exisintg motor, but I figured I'd give it a shot making it run right, since it only has 800 hours, maybe it's fixable.

I started to tear down the injection system piece by piece to ensure that everything is in good shape and replace where needed but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the diesel injector itself.

The manual says to remove the fuel line, then retaining bolt, and then "remove the injector" I've tried prying on it with a tuning fork and a lever arm, but I'm afraid to put much more force on it (levered on a 12" fork with most of my weight) lest I break something.

Is there a trick to removing the injector? The picture in the manual showed the valve train removed... but the instructions did not specify that anything at all other than the retaining bolt and fuel line needed to be removed.

Thanks!
hi
had the same problem, lot of spray lub. plus some thinner. but i used a hammer working around about every 90*. start with taps and go from there. also used small pipe wrench on main body to turn it.

good luck
lloyd
Old 02-19-2017, 11:17:19 AM
Registered

Sorry for the delay, I'm going to be giving it a shot today and see if I can get it off. I've also discovered the return fuel line was rotted out, so I am heading into town to pick up a new rubber line, I will report back if I have any success with getting the injector out.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:50:08 PM
Subscriber

if you can get a old fuel line take the nut off braze a piece of 1/4 wire rope about 12 in on it take something small but heavy drill a 3/8 hole in it slide wire rope in hole braze other nut to that end you now have a slide hammer for inj. removal . i use wire rope because sometimes you can not get straight above the inj.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Rye For This Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 12:50:59 PM
Registered

Got it by just prying at it. The tip was pretty caked up, so I cleaned it off really good and reinstalled it, it runs slightly better but still not smooth. I need to make a good "clean space" and pull the injector completely apart and rebuild it. Thanks for the responses!
Old 05-07-2017, 11:53:21 AM
Registered

An update: I rebuilt the injector as best as I could on the bench, no real change in how it ran. I took off the valve cover and one of the lifters was loose so I re-clearanced them per the manual, put it back together, and it sounds like the piston is actually slapping the valve. Think I might have found why the lifter was loose haha. Might be a lifter bent or something worse... Unsure... but that motor is toast to me.

I'm going to remove the generating head to stick on another motor I have and probably sell the rest of the motor and frame as scrap. It was worth a shot for sure but I'm half thankful it didn't work out. I have an old Onan that I did a propane conversion on, and I've fallen in love with propane as a generator fuel.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:54:07 PM
Registered

I've got the genhead off and measured up for a bearing plate... Looks like it will work perfectly!

Anyone need any parts off the old diesel? I also have the frame and soundproofing kit. Doesn't seem that any locals have any interest in it... So figured I should offer here before I cash out for scrap, since parts tend to be hard to get.
The Following User Says Thank You to malcom2073 For This Post: