Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Minneapolis Moline/ O'keefe and Merritt/ Mission Water Heater/ Hobart M5

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1253 times

Old 07-21-2016, 11:24:35 AM
Registered-I

Default Minneapolis Moline/ O'keefe and Merritt/ Mission Water Heater/ Hobart M5

Hi Everyone, Got a question or two for some people that might know some more about these little gen-sets.
Ran across ANOTHER M5 on C/L several weeks ago, and contacted the seller in order to clarify his listing. He maintains that it is assembled by Minneapolis Moline, and therefore RARE. I have seen other wartime contractors variants of this machine, and they are all the same. What makes this one different is that it is trailer mounted, (not supposed to be), has three service outlets underneath the tool box, (supposed to only have two), and the ID tag does not conform with the standard ones that I have seen. To me, the ID tag looks to be home made, and the trailer, while sporting a pintle hitch indicative of the period, also does not look "professional". The rims, however, look very similar to my PE197 trailer rims.
As several of you most likely already know, I have a fairly extensive herd of these little guys already- and while I am the first to admit that I don't know everything, This one just looks like it has been kinda "cobbled" over the years.
Gonna post some pics of the hitch, the service outlets, and the rims, and hope that some of you with more military hardware experience will be able to help me definitively say yay or nay on the supposed authenticity of this unit before I consider buying it.
Thanks
Noel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	258637   Click image for larger version

Name:	svc_outlet.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	258638   Click image for larger version

Name:	rim.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	258639   Click image for larger version

Name:	ID_TAG.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	258640  

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2016, 08:04:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,229 Posts
Default Re: Minneapolis Moline/ O'keefe and Merritt/ Mission Water Heater/ Hobart M5

looks like it had a larger gen that fit in there from the rails.. or possibly a fuel tank.. again.. your pics suck.. no engine or gauge pics???

defiantly old military trailer with the pintel hitch.. could be 3 phase with the 3 outlets.. paint dont match up.. so id say its not original to the generator.. how much is it??
Old 07-24-2016, 05:41:22 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Minneapolis Moline/ O'keefe and Merritt/ Mission Water Heater/ Hobart M5

smart alec... wasn't tryin' to take purty pics.. was trying to take definitive ones. Definitely agree about the trailer mis-match to the the gen. What I have also noted was the kinda goofy way the tongue was mounted to the frame. He is currently asking $500, said he will take $400.
It is missing on at least one cylinder, does not produce power, the exciter rheostat has an open in it, but when jumpered, it still has a problem. (maybe stuck brushes?) I think he has also maybe adjusted the timing as well. My gut tells me that it is an amalgamation of 60 or so years of use, and is not a RARE set up. Yes Joe, the service panel, the engine, the changeover box, the tool box, everything is just like all the other variants that I have and have seen, less the differential photos.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:12:24 AM
Registered

I know nothing of the gen set but that trailer looks cobbled. It may have been the brainstorm of a motor pool mechanic as it does have some resemblence to a military build and may have some military parts on it. Are the fasteners fine thread and have castle nuts with cotter pins on them? That's a common Military build technique. The pintle eye, or lunette as they are actually called, appears to be from a M100 and is worth north of $100 alone if you were to sell it. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to coolpool For This Post:
Old 09-11-2016, 11:24:44 PM
Registered

Mine is a '43 O'keefe & Merritt. It's on a trailer that appears to be made of a narrowed axle, complete with non- functional drum brakes. The lady I bought it from remembers her father bringing it home from an auction at an Army base just like that, so I guess it was done in service. It definitely wasn't made that way though. I don't know what to make of your label plate, maybe a field reeplacement? Is it in the usual spot on the instrument panel door?
Old 09-14-2016, 09:05:50 PM
Registered-I

Yes, Same place as original/ others. Maybe these units were used as "portable" power plants around the base, then auctioned off later? dunno. No brake drums on this one. But, thanks for the input.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:41:43 PM
Registered

I have 2 Minneapolis Moline M-5's, one Mission Water heater, and one O'keefe & Merrit, none of them have that tag or plug.

On each of mine there are differences, but pretty minor ones. Even the color on them is very different. One even is blue with some parts gold paint under all the other layers. That was the base color with multiple shades of green on top. I wouldn't rule out that that tag or plugs are original equipment. Hard to tell. They seem to have built them with what ever was available.

The trailer on the other hand appears to be built with bits and pieces of other trailers or a stripped down something else. None of these M-5's came on a trailer as they were meant to be hand carried. But I'd imagine many ended up on a trailer.

My restored one I have in the back of an M37 pickup truck. Looks nice but not quite period correct. Truck is a '53 generator is a '43.

(I am also thinking of selling 2 of my other generators if someone is interested. haven't advertised yet.)
Old 08-17-2017, 04:19:08 PM
Registered-I

The M5 were used for 40mm Bofors anti aircraft gun. Army units were painted a dark green and Navy units were grey. They are all 3 phase split so 120v on each set of leads. The M6 is single phase with the use of a phase converter built into set. The three plugs is not original there was a single dual outlet plug in that spot originally. None of these units were mounted on trailers originally. The brackets on the sides are for handling poles and were brought in like that by two guys or 4 depending on which holes you used for the poles.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:44:02 PM
Registered-I

Clarification: Both M5 and M6 were originally 3 phase units. M5 was rated 3KVA at either 50cycles or 60cycles. M5 was designed to be power supply for either 37 or 40mm AA gun. M6 was same basic setup, but with RC network allowed single phase operation, and was originally designed as a replacement for an earlier unit (M4) and was part of a Data transmission system, but could be put into use as a power source for the American AA remote control system only, since it was not configured for 50cy operation. Also, the porter bars were two different lengths, with all 4 being required for manpower movement, since these 'lil dudes weigh in at more than #800