Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

MEP 004 Exciter Transformer Problem

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 632 times

Old 02-01-2017, 10:57:19 AM
Registered

Default MEP 004 Exciter Transformer Problem

Hi, I have a 1980s mep004 15kw gen. Recently it quit producing power on all legs unless switch is held in start. Long story short, I traced it to a transformer in the VR box. Through research, I have determined it is the exiter transformer, I believe T1. It's fried, looks like the mounting bolts were loose, it walked into one of it's lead wires, wore through and shorted to ground. I think every thing else is ok...

Does anyone know where I may find one of these transformers? I know there is a solid state replacement for the entire VR/exiter. It's 700bucks and I understand requires wiring it in. Has anyone done this upgrade, how involved is it?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2017, 10:51:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: MEP 004 exiter transformer problem

If anyone is curious, doesn't look like it... but I will say I did get a kit to replace the entire VR/static exiter unit with solid state gear. Works great if anyone were to find themselves in a situation like mine.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:32:49 AM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: MEP 004 exiter transformer problem

What did you get? The closest I had was a MEP5 that had some kind of an old Delco regulator retrofitted, not by me. It worked with generous flashing (which the regulator said not to do but we did it anyway) until the engine (White) got a horrible knock one day and the owner decided to replace it with something modern.

I also retrofitted a MEP2 with an aftermarket regulator and a field flash unit that worked very well but it was a heck of a job getting the stationary field (exciter) windings unbonded from ground in various places and removed from all their interconnections with the rest of the system.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:04:47 AM
Registered

Default Re: MEP 004 Exciter Transformer Problem

I got a kit from Oshkosh Equipment, consisting of a field flash unit, universal regulator and a large resistor, parts are made by McPherson controls. Had to wire it in, no work on generator coils, just some wiring where our VR/Static exiter were located. Working great.
The Following User Says Thank You to J14 For This Post: