Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Shop backup power generator

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 602 times

Old 09-03-2017, 01:47:09 AM
Registered

Default Shop backup power generator

New to these old military generators, never been around one at all. I have a fair amount of tinkering and repairing on small generators and a basic understanding of how the systems work, but thats about it. I have spent a few hours reading on this forum, but the amount of info is overwhelming off the start.

Here is the deal. A friend of mine has a chunk of property with his house, guest house and a large shop full of fabrication equipment (welders etc). During power outages we have ran the shop off a 10kw Ranger 250 generator, does a decent job as long as the air compressor and multiple welders aren't all going at once but that still leaves both houses without power. He now wants to add a big diesel generator that can run the whole compound. I am thinking he will need something around 30kw to run the central AC plus all the other loads.

Will a military surplus generator be a good fit for this job? longest power outage in the last few years has only been 14hrs. 1-2 times a year it seems to go out for 2-6hrs. so basically a bigger generator isnt really needed, but he wants it so im not going to say no. what is everyones opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2017, 07:58:06 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Shop backup power generator

I think military surplus is a good way to go, 1. If you are willing to take a chance on buying an untested machine at auction. 2. If you can do your own work on it, they usually need a least a little work to get going.

If the above are true, you can get a well built often low hour machine for a fraction of the cost of a new 1800 RPM commercial unit. Or you can find one someone has already gone over it for more $, then the price might be closer to that of a used commercial unit.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:44:15 AM
Subscriber

Hay 84 , check out sewerzuk on you tube , he does or did all lot with mil MEPs
and has some good info on where to get them and fix them up
Wayne
Old 09-03-2017, 12:56:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,250 Times in 2,035 Posts

Be aware that most military sets in that size range are 120/208 or 240/416 voltage, not the typical 120/240 that most residential services are.

FWIW, my house/shop will run fine on 120/208, but your situation may be different.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:23:58 PM
Registered-I

I just learned about them too from this forum. I've been checking out a few MEP-803a on E-bay. The prices look good. Some review's I've read said to stay away from them because the military generators are over complicated and parts are hard to come by. A few of the reviews said an older diesel Onan is a much better choice.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:50:48 AM
Email NOT Working

These old ones are usually not too hard to convert to single phase or even delta (or both) but they usually have an obsolete engine like a White or Continental or Allis-Chalmers and incredibly complicated controls and high prices for what they are. I would rather have a Cummins with Power Command than one of these things....