Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Type MB Diesel Generator

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 12016 times

Old 04-17-2008, 12:47:02 AM
Registered

Default Type MB Diesel Generator

OK Guys I am a newbie here I have a diesel gen set it's a military type MB diesel it was made about 1969 it has a hercules 4 cyl and I need some parts what is a good supplier?????
it is a real cool set it has a arctic heater kit. but the electronics are ancient I removed a small metal tube in the lower control panel and to my horror found a vacuum tube

any help with engine parts would be appreciated

Sonoutlaw
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 06:15:38 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Type MB Diesel

You are kind of border line here. It is probaly a military version of the DD series engines. If I am guess correctly 198 cubic inch displacement. Now the catch is military engines use military standard parts in many cases. This is true on some of the parts on those engines as well. Jerry Biro down at Newark Ohio is the worlds largest antique Hercules engines parts supplier. He also understands the military versions. I will get his phone number theis evening when I am back if no one posts it before. There is also a new Hercules Engine company. The only work on Military Hercules engines. Now I am fairly sure they do not get into that old of a Hercules. They will refer you to Jerry.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:39:58 AM
Registered-I

If the data plates on the enclosure are still there they will tell you who made it,what year, model, voltages, kw and may list some manuals like TM5-6115-???-??
There should also be a FSN or NSN number, If you tell me that number i mite be able to tell you all the military manuals for it. operators,repair,parts.
Jeff
Old 04-18-2008, 12:28:25 AM
Registered

Here it is The spec plate reads:

Generator Set Diesel Engine
Trailer Mounted Type MB 5A
Stock # 6115-999-2659
Serial # 710464
HOL-GAR Division
Yrdley Electric Corporation
DSA # 700-71-C-8681

Manufacture Date 10/71

Sorry guys, got home late, it was too late to get the numbers off the spec plate for the diesel engine. I am going to have to hit it with brake clean and a rag to get the numbers. Thanks again, guys.

Sonoutlaw
Old 04-18-2008, 07:39:06 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,413 Times in 761 Posts

The "MB", or "MB-Teens" as they were more commonly known, were the only generators that I am aware of that were built specifically for the US Air Force. Started production in the very early 60's. First miltary generators I worked on in the USAF, they were aging, and beginning to be replaced when I came in. The AF also had there own transfer switch built for them, as many of them ended up being installed as real property back-ups. Switches were made by Lake Shore, to the AF's specs, which again over-engineered the he!! out of them until they became unreliable, and required frequent attention.

Theory was to build them with standardized parts that crossed through the AGE and avionics world, so that in the field you could scrounge parts off of each other. An idea that never worked, and a way over-engineered generator control system on all of them. The MB-5 was the only rare one. I don't recall if the control panel/system looks the exact same on it or not, as the others.

The rest of the "family" is:

MB-19---15kw (Hercules engine)
MB-18---30kw (Hercules engine)
MB-17---60kw (Cummins engine)
MB-16---100kw (Cummins engine)
MB-15---150kw (Cummins engine)

Made under a few different contracts over the years. "First Generation" were all mechancial/hydraulic governor controlled, and cumbersome voltage regulator, relays, and protective devices. "Second Generation" utilized electronic governors, and more solid-state components.

Unfortunately, all that electronics was their Achilles heel. Dam things would shut down for erroneous protective faults, or other bad components quite regularly. Definitely wanted to use all the restraints and screws for the items in the control box, as vibration would tear them up.

If you followed the Tech Order Manuals, kept everything tight, and kept you forever-tweaking Airman buddy out of it, you could get it to be fairly reliable.

eric
Old 04-18-2008, 09:34:39 AM
Registered-III

BTW, just thought I'd throw this in.

Three MB-15's on the right, the rest are MEP-series.

These were up at Eielson AFB, AK

eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MB Teens0053.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	32551  
Old 04-18-2008, 02:32:30 PM
IanR

"These were up at Eielson AFB, AK"

I drove by there on my way between Ft Greely and Fairbanks back in Dec '06.
Looked like an interesting place. Would have liked to have seen it closer.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,009 Posts

I don't think that's a vacum tube you found, probably a timer. Onan used them well into the 70's. More than likely a preheat timer.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:47:07 PM
Registered

I will take a pic of the suspected tube and post it the base it sits in is marked ECandB I kind of assumed it was for emitter collector and base (a transistor) but I have been wrong before by the way this set has no DOD plate it was a Forest service generator it had 800 original hours on it

sonoutlaw
Old 04-19-2008, 10:40:16 AM
Registered-III

Sonoutlaw,

If you get around to posting some pictures, can you post some pictures of the overall genset, and the control panel too?

That would be cool

eric