Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Winco Dyna DLC6000C Generator Restore

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1040 times

Old 01-29-2018, 08:28:50 PM
Registered

Default Winco Dyna DLC6000C Generator Restore

I got the generator with a non-running engine. It was full of age-degraded gasoline. The engine is an 11 HP Briggs & Stratton I/C engine. It has electric start, low oil shut-off and engine idle control.

I rebuilt the carb using an aftermarket kit. Now the engine runs steadily for a while then it starts surging up and down. Changing the main jet mixture screw position doesn't stop the surging. I'm thinking the governor linkage may be the cause.

The generator functions. I plugged in an 1800W hair dryer to test it. With the hair dryer on, the engine was surging while I was investigating its cause. The hair dryer fan was going faster and slower; hotter and colder. Then smoke came out of the power distribution panel! I quickly shut off the generator.

I removed the power distribution panel's cover and saw an oil squirt mark on its inside surface. Before I was able to determine the which corresponding area of wiring or electrical sub-component was closest to the oil squirt mark, my troubleshooting was interrupted. I'm thinking that an electrolytic capacitor case ruptured. Perhaps the voltage regulator was over-taxed when the engine was surging up and down while the generator was loaded with the 1800W hair dryer?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 08:58:39 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Winco Dyna DLC6000C Generator Restore

I just finished restoring my Honda ES4500, see it here
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174989
and it was surging too. The carburetor was pretty bad and after a good cleaning I got it running and was happy to just get it running. The more I ran it the smoother it ran and finally it smoothed out.

On your oil squirt is most likely from a old cap.

When I opened my control box I found a melted bridge rectifier and it's socket along with a good number of negative/ground wires burned.
I think some one tried jumping it and (a) had the polarity wrong and (b) connect the negative ground cable to the frame and not the engine block. I've seen that before, when you try running a starter through small chassis and safety grounds that can't support that current they melt. After replacing the burned wires and components all is well.

Joe
Old 02-04-2018, 10:30:48 PM
Registered

I examined the power distribution panel and found a burned resistor on the automatic idle control circuit board (conserver module). I'm thinking the automatic idle control's electromagnet is malfunctioning; causing the throttle lever to oscillate. The oil squirt inside the power panel is actually some oil which dripped out of the automatic idle control's transformer. The transformer senses and signals the solid state module to turn ON the electromagnet.
According to Winco manual "The automatic idle control is a gas saving, solid state system, designed to reduce engine speed whenever the electrical load is removed from the generator. An electromagnet mounted next to the carburetor's throttle control lever is energized and the electromagnet forces the throttle closed (forced idle-down).
With the automatic idle control switch in the 'Auto' position, the throttle control lever is electrically released when generator is powering an electrical load so doesn't interfere with normal governor operation. When the load is turned off, the electromagnet energizes and reduces the engine speed.
The automatic idle control consists of a solid state module (conserver module) , switch, resistor and a transformer located in the generator control box, and an electromagnet mounted on the engine near the throttle lever. The automatic idle control is only offered as a factory installed feature. It is not available for field installation."

The conserver module circuit board is listed in Winco parts manual as number 48574-000. This may actually be a Briggs and Stratton part for the 11 HP I/C engine model 254427-0560-01 on this generator. More research needed.

The Winco manual is located here. It has a more thorough explanation of the automatic idle control feature.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:02:49 AM
Registered

Winco service rep advises the idle control circuit board 48574-000 is no longer available. One of its resistors got burned and only the resistor's outer two color bands are visible. It measures 1.79 K-ohms. An electrolytic capacitor has a bulging top.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:03:43 PM
Registered

A friend at work used the Winco electrical diagram to draw the idle control module (switching circuit board) functions to energize/de-energize the idle solenoid based upon generator load. I bought a couple of new electrolytic capacitors and a resistor for the idle control module. We'll solder them onto the circuit board then connect a bench power supply to the circuit board to test its function.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:28:09 PM
Registered

Two capacitors having different capacitance values needed to be soldered onto the idle control circuit board. I had a 50:50 chance of getting it right the first time... I did get it right the second time RTV is then squirted in around the capacitor leads (single conductor wires coming out the bottom of the little capacitor cylinders) to add some structural stability to these little components. I'm leaving the burned resistor in there for now because it has a measurable resistance value. After the RTV cures, the reassembly will begin.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:09:17 PM
Registered

Re-installed the auto idle control circuit board, power distribution panel and the gas tank. The engine started and immediately resumed surging. Found the oil breather tube (engine to air cleaner rubber pipe) was interfering with governor linkage movement. Rotated breather tube 90 degrees to clear linkage and viola! No surging. Auto idle control feature functions too.

Plugged two hair dryers into power outlets. Generator runs for a minute then quits abruptly. Fuel starvation? Adjusted high speed mixture screw but no luck. I think the float bowl is running dry when engine is loaded. Sprayed carb cleaner through the fuel tank cap vent hole but no improvement.

I'd previously verified fuel flows through the fuel filter. Carburetor has a new float valve. Maybe some new debris has blocked the fuel filter or maybe the float is sticking?