Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

4 Cylinder Air Cooled Delco

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 2881 times

Old 02-22-2018, 10:44:46 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 4 Cylinder Air Cooled Delco

Finally making new rod bushings and a new throttle shaft. The generator is located two hours south of my house at my dads shop currently so hopefully I will get down there to put it all together in a couple weeks. I will keep everyone posted!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	303873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	303874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	303875  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 12:32:39 AM
Registered-III

Are the wavy fins on the cylinder soldered on? Copper?

I have never seen another air cooled engine of any kind with soldered on cooling fins!

Your repairs look really nice. Good call on replacing the small end rod bearings. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but is the dot in the babbit at the 12 o-clock positon a drill hole? If it is, make sure oil can get past the new small end rod bearings and to the wrist pin. You are making great progress! keep it up,

Chris
Old 02-23-2018, 02:40:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Chris, The copper fins are fused to the jug somehow, it's not solder. I read that there was a lot of trial and error in the Chevrolet engineering dept trying to develop a method of fusing the copper fins to the cylinder so that maximum heat transfer could be attained. As for the rods, the dot you see is not an oil hole. The engine has a small vane style oil pump that pumps oil up to three oil galleys that deliver oil to three cam bushings and two main bearings. The oil then falls onto a tray which is slung by the rods and gets to the cylinders and the top of the rods which are drilled to lube the wrist pins. Typical splash lube system of the day. One interesting thing is the oil sump holds a lot of oil. I'm not sure exactly how much but I would guess at least 2 gallons! Another interesting feature is the fact that the pistons are smaller than the big rod ends. So the top end gets assembled first then the pistons are inserted from the bottom. Just like the F-20,30 Farmalls. You can replace the rings without pulling the heads!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 01:37:41 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,996 Times in 3,901 Posts

In a way, similar to the Kohler letter series engines - piston smaller than rod big end. (bore 2") As for charging rate - the F/M 32 volt system used a generator rated at 37.5 volts. The Kohler letter series gensets delivered 110 volts DC, on a demand regulation. Turn on a 100 watt draw or more, and the auto start would fire up on its own. The manual start was just that. I do not know if the Delco 4 cylinder needed a battery set or not.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:05:42 PM
eMail NOT Working

Seeing exposed valvetrain and fins on the cylinders makes it look 'aircrafty'.

One of the things I like about saving, restoring, and protecting these old machines, is that we have an opportunity to see, hear, touch, and feel back in time. Clarivoyance into our past is vital to our ability to move forward.

These machines may have had their weaknesses, but they also had their strengths, and if we hadn't had them in our midst, we would never know the difference. I thank the OP, and all who've added notes, and all who've submitted pictures and videos, because prior to this, I didn't know that Delco MADE a four-cyl, much less air-cooled, much less exposed-valvetrain, with flip open cover. These are just downright awesome cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 12:10:46 PM
Subscriber

dkamp, I could not agree more! This thing is downright cool! I did a little more work on it a couple weeks ago. I re-assembled the engine and started to work on the generator. I hooked up some batteries and tried to get it to turn over but could only get a couple relays to click. I contacted Tom Jackson (thanks Tom!!) and he is sending me a manual for me to copy so I have a diagram of the wiring. I am thinking the connections on the back of the control board are corroded and I have a couple bad connections. So when I get the manual the next step is to clean all the connections and verify the wiring then try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	305966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	305967  
Old 04-30-2018, 02:15:51 PM
Subscriber

Just a update on the generator. I was able to get it to run. I received the manual from Tom and found that the choke solenoid needs to be hooked up because the start circuit runs through it. The first start was successful but it had a couple leaking valves. I removed the heads and re-ground the seats with a different cutter and got them to seat properly. I started it again and it runs fantastic. It charges 34 volts. I have a couple crummy cell phone videos but plan to buy a camera soon and get a better video when I get it completely assembled with the cooling shrouds and fan. I also need to figure out the remote box. I think it needs to be installed to properly charge the batteries and have the automatic standby working.
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post: