Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Advice on NG vs Diesel Generators

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 1319 times

Old 01-27-2018, 09:51:39 PM
Registered

Default Advice on NG vs Diesel Generators

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get a 30 KW backup generator. I know Diesel gensets in that class can be quite reliable and run continuously for days and not break a sweat.

But if I wanted a natural gas generator, are the liquid cooled models like the Gnerac Protector series (RG030 etc..) or Kohler 30RCL's as durable? Do they need more maintenance than a Diesel genset?

NG is very reliable in my area, and it avoids having to deal with refueling etc..., but I am worried about a long outage due to earthquake etc... so robustness counts.

Thnx
mike
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2018, 11:17:09 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Advice on NG vs Diesel generators

Diesel or gas, they will never run long enough in a standby application to wear down. I suggest Kohler for best product and support, I've used them all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 12:48:09 AM
Registered-III

At my 2nd job, they have one diesel and one natural gas genset. I like the diesel better, seems to take on bigger loads (AC compressor turning on) better then the gas one and is better on fuel.
The natural gas one is good because there is almost no fuel problems. My only complaint is its hot compared to the diesel one.
Are you concerned about fuel consumption and cost? If so diesel may be a better route. If not, natural gas is less head ache.
My 2 cents
Old 01-28-2018, 09:38:28 AM
Registered-II

A serious earthquake will take out NG, so if that is a concern, than I would go with diesel. Another option would be a Propane liquid draw tank, to back up the NG if there was a disruption. The Propane will store indefinitely, and Vapor fuel engines will burn either with little adjustment.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:17:27 PM
Registered-III

I would start looking for a two cylinder 1800rpm Lister diesel powered generator set. It is hard to beat one in regards to economy. A 100 gallon fuel tank from a big rig will run the engine for two weeks. There is a nice three cylinder on craigslist in Marysville California that is worth repairing.
https://yubasutter.craigslist.org/gr...454590346.html

If the budget is there, I would buy this in a heartbeat. There is nothing like a Deutz air cooled diesel. At 1800rpm that engine should run 30,000 hours before rebuild
https://redding.craigslist.org/hvo/d...431367368.html

Chris
Old 01-28-2018, 01:47:47 PM
Registered-I

Years ago there was a power outrage Texas.
It didn't take too long for them to realize they needed electricity to pump natural gas into the pipelines and it was out too
I understand they moved the gas pumps to a more critical circuit
Old 01-28-2018, 02:03:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,682 Posts

As I understand that event, the electrical provider decided to shed the circuit that happened to serve the gas booster station that in turn served their own generating station. They shed the load and very shortly thereafter the incoming gas pressure went down to the point that the generating station was in more trouble than before the "preventative" load shedding.

That circuit is probably no longer on the list of sheddable loads.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:54:40 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone. Sounds the durability of these 3600 RPM liquid cooled NG gensets are just as good as Diesel, which gives me more options. I was thinking about a genset that was used to backup cell sites as they are replaced reasonably often.

I have a pretty decent sized budget, so looking at a relatively new set of equipment (2008+). The only catch is the HP has to be less than 50 else a pile of regulations get triggered...

Thx
mike
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
...Sounds the durability of these 3600 RPM liquid cooled NG gensets are just as good as Diesel...
I respectfully disagree with the above opinion. A 3600 RPM gaseous fueled set is not high on my list of durable items; get an 1800 RPM set if you plan on lots of running hours. That said, a realistic estimate of the number of hours you expect to need the set may change the equation in favor of a 3600 RPM unit, even if the service life will be shorter.

For instance, the standby set at my house has run about 50 hours in 7 years. It is an 1800 RPM diesel, but for 50 hours of service a 3600 RPM "lawnmower" engine would have done the job so far. On the other hand, if my utility is ever off for 2 weeks, the diesel will be going well after the point that the "lawnmower" engine would be worn out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 07:28:59 PM
Registered

*-++

Dry fueled machines are almost always a good choice, be it propane or natural gas. Just do yourself a favor, and look for the low speed machines, (1800 RPM) if you can. They run a little quieter, and are usually (not always) of a higher quality that the comparable 3600 RPM machine, and a well loved Kohler can be a good machine.

I would stay away from most generac machines, generally, although I do have some favorites. But, I have worked on a lot of them, and a few Kohlers,too.
But, as a poster mentioned, as long as you have a good machine it probably won't run all that much to make that much of a difference-as long as they work.

Regarding maintenance, proper maintenance is certainly critical on any machine, but diesel more so than propane, or natural gas. Parts for natural gas or propane machines would likely be more available than diesels, in the general sense, and probably less expensive, overall. Maintenance is less expensive on gas than diesel. Long term Fuel storage is not as much an issue for natural gas or propane..

Air cooled is certainly less maintenance overall. No coolant to test or change; no hoses to inspect or replace, nor belts-generally.

But all will need attention, and all will NEED to be ran, under load at reasonable intervals to assure longevity, and operability when the time comes.