Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

1941 Western Flyer 5hp spark plug wire replacement

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1475 times

Old 10-31-2013, 03:49:58 AM
Registered

Default 1941 Western Flyer 5hp spark plug wire replacement

Hello everyone, I need to replace the spark plug wires on my Western Flyer outboard. The problem is the wires are soldered to the coils. Is there a way to splice them or do I have to go another route? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 01:38:32 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,117 Times in 3,976 Posts
Default Re: 1941 Western Flyer 5hp spark plug wire replacement

Are you sure they are soldered? The wires should be tinned, and then crimped onto the tabs on the mag shell. If indeed they are soldered to the tabs, you will need 2 people to do this job: Get a pair of fine needle nosed pliers. Hold the tab next to the core Heat the tab and wire just until the solder melts. At the same time have a friend hold SLIGHT tension on the existing wire. As the solder melts, Gently attempt to free the wire from the tab. DO NOT OVERHEAT! You only want enough heat to melt the solder. You MUST hold the tab in place, AND only use enough heat to melt the solder. DO NOT heat mor more than a minute. The purpose of the pliers is to privide a heat sink, to prevent melting the tab connection to the coil, or degrading the coil itself. Your other option is to cut the wire approximately 1/4" away from the mag coil, Tin that wire (cover it with solder), Tin the new wire and fold the 1/4" sections together. Heat and solder the ends together. Check to make sure you have room under the flywheel before attempting the second option.
Andrew
Old 11-03-2013, 02:42:32 AM
Registered

Andrew,
That sounds good. Yes the wires are soldered to the coil so I will be careful. I will likley try the second option. Thanks for the info. Kenny
Old 11-03-2013, 05:17:41 PM
Registered-III

They make aluminum heat sinks for soldering with point tip and forked tip have plastic insulated handles. That is what I use when unsoldering or soldering them using a lower heat solder iron. Unleaded newer rosin core electrical solder works well.