Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

12 volt or 6 volt for buzz coils

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 9910 times

Old 02-14-2005, 10:48:50 PM
Administrator

Thanked 12,016 Times in 2,074 Posts
Default Re: 12 volt or 6 volt for buzz coils

The only thing that 12 volts might be good for on a low tension ignitor coil is to melt it. The extra voltage causes extra current to flow. This might produce a hotter spark, but if your points are closed when the engine stops, you can be assured of a melt down inside your coil.

Also, some ignitors used with magnetos are adjusted to be normally closed and then open at the instant that spark is wanted and then close again. This would most assuredly cause a coil melt down if you use that ignitor on a 12v battery.

Ignitors that are adjusted to be normally open and then close for the instant just before spark is wanted, draw much less power and therefore make much less heat in the coil. You might get away with 12 volts on this setup as long as the points don't happen to be closed during shut down. The resistor idea will also help reduce current flow.

As to 12 volts on a buzz coil, that's most likely fine. Its duty cycle is shortened because of the rapid on/off function of the vibrator.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:34:02 PM
Registered-III

Good advice so far.
I've seen some buzz coil circuits in the old books. Some use 6 volts. Also, you see 8 volts, that is four dry battery cells, at 2 volts per cell.
If you have a good condenser, 6 volts work fine. It's also important to back off on the point tension nut until the engine starts to misfire, then back down about 1 turn. Too many people crank down on the nut too far for no good reason.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:40:48 PM
Registered-III

I asked an engine guru this same question last fall when I saw he had a ford coil hooked up to a 12 volt battery (high tension). He said as long as it was hit-n-miss governed he used 12 volts. But not for throttle governed which would fire every time. I believe he said heat was an issue.

Erik Grund
Old 02-14-2005, 11:49:48 PM
Arthur

Smile Re: 12 volt or 6 volt for buzz coils

I don't know much about this 12 Volt and a buzz coil, but I owned a T model back in the late 40's and it would start fine on 6 Volt. What I remember most about the ignitionn was the coil box was under the dash, and at night it would lite up the floor boards pretty good on batt., but when it was switched to magneto it looked like the the whole mess under the dash was on fire. I have often wondered how much Voltage was coming from that mag.,it had to be more than the batt. because it was so bright. I think some of the boxes had a cover,but mine didn't, I reckon someone threw it away. Dogonnet I almost told my age. Arthur
Old 02-15-2005, 01:38:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,406 Times in 832 Posts

Well, a Really Good Model T mag will put out up to 38 volts or so at high RPM but it is AC instead of DC. You can Really feel a 6 volt T come to life when you change over to Mag... 12 volts DC will not harm a properly adjusted T coil. Problem is... not all Buzz coils are T coils... Some coils are made for Gas engines and were made to work on about 6 to 8 volts DC. But they probably are the minority these days.... Henry made over 15 Million T's and they each had 4 coils.... No Wonder there are so many laying around....
Old 02-15-2005, 07:54:06 AM
Registered-III

I too put the Chrysler resistor on my buzz coil ignition on my oilfield engine. It will not start on spark plug. I can fire engine off on hot tube an then switch over to spark plug and shut off hot tube and it will run. After reading all these very informational threads I am now wondering if I could some how switch coil to 12 volt to help start engine(hotter spark???) and then switch back to resister to extend coil life. Any ideas? Thanks to all!! Jim
Old 02-15-2005, 09:28:46 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimjy
I too put the Chrysler resistor on my buzz coil ignition on my oilfield engine. It will not start on spark plug. I can fire engine off on hot tube an then switch over to spark plug and shut off hot tube and it will run. After reading all these very informational threads I am now wondering if I could some how switch coil to 12 volt to help start engine(hotter spark???) and then switch back to resister to extend coil life. Any ideas? Thanks to all!! Jim
Jim, connect a switch in the battery lead to the buzz coil. Then connect your resistor across the switch terminals.

Switch on for high voltage (12). Switch off (resistor in circuit) for lower voltage. 40 feet of 24 gage wire will drop the 12 volts to about 6 volts across the coil. Its a good battery saver for using gel cells. Works well for ignitor coils also
Old 02-15-2005, 10:16:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,803 Times in 2,955 Posts

There's no big problem running a "T" coil on 12 Volts except that it will get a little warmer and will tend to burn the points faster. I'm not sure that the output voltage would be a whole lot higher with 12 Volts as compared to 6 Volts because the magnetic field has to build up to the same intensity to pull the points open no matter what voltage is applied.

Another way to drop the voltage to the coil is to use a 12 Volt brake light bulb (draws about one amp) in series with the coil.

I use this with a 12 Volt battery on the low-tension coil for my F-M Jack of All Trades. Works like a champ with the advantage that you can tell if the ignition's on by closing the ignitor points and looking for the lamp to light-up.

Take care - Elden
Old 02-15-2005, 10:39:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for all this great info. Can't wait for spring to get it out and do all the modifications I been reading about in this forum!! Jim
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13:15 AM
Registered-II

I haven't had any trouble using 12 volt batteries. I use 12 volt drill batteries because they last a long time while running. They are also rechargable. I have mine hooked up to a hit and miss engine. I haven't loaded my hit and miss engine up so it fires each time so I dont know how long they would last under that kind of load. There's my 2 cents worth.

Regards, Anthony