Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

12 volt or 6 volt for buzz coils

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 9917 times

Old 03-31-2006, 12:09:51 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: 12 volt or 6 volt for buzz coils

Dry Cell batteries are only 1 1/2 volts per cell, 4 gives you 6 volts! Check the voltage on your flashlight batteries!
Ray
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2006, 04:39:02 AM
Registered-I

Harry makes a good point - if the breaker points are closed when your engine stops, don't miss the (brief) opportunity to boil some tea on the coil - it won't last long. Other than that, you can run on 12 volts with no damage to the coil. About the 20+ volts the model As & Ts & other old cars that didn't have a voltage regulator, the voltage never got much higher than 7-8 volts - it would destroy the lights if it did. On a long cross-country trip in daytime, the voltage could creep up to where it would overcharge the battery, but as soon as any load was applied, the voltage would drop - they used a "3rd brush" approach to regulating gen output, and that 3rd brush could be adjusted for city driving for heigher output, compared to the setting for country driving. Actually, those old buggers were marginal at best, no matter the application. Tom
Old 03-31-2006, 06:44:25 AM
Alan in KY

a good model t mag will put out 30 plus volts ac on cars with a starter they did have a cutout to regulate voltage to the batt. non starter cars will burn out headlights at higher r p m s
Old 03-31-2006, 03:19:06 PM
Sky

you gatta admit though, the model t's are kinda neat, i mean after all, mister ford didn't think of everything, and that was just the begining of the automobile. Just one time, i would like to ride in a old car, just one time, i never had the chance as of yet. i agree with the others, i have ran my FM with a buzz coil and a 12 V battery,...doesn't seem like anything unusual when it's running and my coil dont even get warm. but i have got the H*ll shocked outta me one time on that thing, and my hands were wet. talk about a shocking experience.... it wasnt no small engine zap....it was a ....well.....shocking experience!