Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

"Edison" coil question

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 2036 times

Old 06-17-2009, 11:17:52 PM
Email Not Working

Question "Edison" coil question

I bought this low tension coil at a show last weekend. I call it an Edison coil because it looks like the one in their ads, but there is no tag or other markings remaining. The coil is short and fat, 3" long over the coils and 3" in diameter. The core is composed of iron wires and is 1 1/2" in diameter with about 1/2" if overhang beyond the wooden end pieces. The copper windings are 14 ga. cotton insulated wire. It looks pretty rough, but after making new binding posts, I hooked it up to one of my 12v sealed batteries and an IHC M iginitor and this thing throws the hottest spark I have ever seen!
I am curious if the design of the coil makes it hotter or just what does. Can someone explain the reason for the seemingly higher efficiency of this coil?
Sponsored Links