Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda EU6500IS

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 442 times

Old 06-26-2018, 07:53:30 PM
Registered

Default Honda EU6500IS

I have a Honda EU6500IS generator. The other night I lost power so me and my daughter took the generator out. We started it up, plugged it into the house, making sure all breakers were off and only turned back on a few breakers. The Volt Amp I monitor was reading 1050-1100. Ran like that for quite a while and purred like a kitten. Then all of a sudden the volt amp reading went to zero but the motor didnít change RPM or anything. Went into the house & everything was running just fine. Generator was still putting out perfectly good energy. Went back out and watched it for a while and the I monitor started reading 1050-1100 again. It read this for a while and then went back to zero again. Checked the house and everything was still running fine. Pushed the I button on the monitor to check the voltage on the battery and it was fine. Switched it over to RPM and that also read fine. Switched it over to the hour meter and it was still reading correctly. Ran it for 7 hours, never missed a lick in the house & purred like a kitten. All night the volt amp on the I monitor would come in and out but it kept perfect track of the hours. Do you know why this might be happening? Any suggestions? Serviced the generator a couple of months ago and I put in a new Honda factory battery. The original battery which was also Honda worked just fine but it was new with the generator back in 07 so thought since I was servicing it I might as well put in a new battery. It has a battery tinder that is directly wired into the battery and plugged in when the generator is not in use. It also has a new Honda NGK plug and runs on Honda synthetic oil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2018, 08:09:48 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Honda EU6500IS

Pattianne I think the draw was so low the I- monitor isn't picking it up. I know that it won't read a low draw. If the rest of the info was coming up I think its fine. The EU6500. Its a great generator. The one thing you ALWAYS want to do is make sure you drain the fuel from the carburetor when storing it. Welcome to the forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexV For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 08:28:31 PM
Registered

Thank you for responding. It always used to register before even at 1100 so I was concerned that it didn't this time. It's a great generator with 268 hours.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:05:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,532 Times in 2,209 Posts

No experience with the unit so just throwing this out there. Electronics are finicky and perhaps something as simple as static affects them. Perhaps try grounding the frame of the unit via a ground rod or perhaps to a cold water pipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 06:30:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,232 Times in 4,528 Posts

No experience with this gen, but I'm guessing mechanical vibration is making electronic board intermittent. Engines shake a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post: