Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Is Honda EU7000iS overkill for me? Inverter technology capped at 7000?

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 783 times

Old 10-10-2018, 05:21:03 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Is Honda EU7000iS overkill for me? Inverter technology capped at 7000?

I have three inverter units and a former Kubota powered light tower with a Stamford-Newage (genuine made in England) 4 pole 6000 generator.
The inverter units are a eu2000i over priced Honda, Boliy 3000 watt $75 craigslist special and a 1000 watt Champion Cheapo from Sam's that was too cute.

The Boliy is the quietest one with the Kubota powered unit a close second after adding a second muffler, weatherstripping around all doors and aspelt stick on sound deadening material on the inside of the cover.
At a solid real 6000w continuous runs everything I want to run.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2018, 12:50:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: Is Honda EU7000iS overkill for me? Inverter technology capped at 7000?

I'm having 2nd thoughts about springing for the Honda eu7000is at $4k. My use is probably considered light-duty use at probably 2-3 times per year with mostly 1 day outages. Worst case scenarios are major ice storms and hurricanes with 5+ days of no power but that doesn't happen every year.

I can get the Yamaha EF6300 for $3060 from pplmotorhomes.com (a lot of these RV sites have good prices), and that includes shipping. That's $500 less than electricgenerators.com for the same Yamaha machine and almost $1k less than the Honda. Just that for 700 extra watts of starting power?

Is the maintenance really that bad on the Yamaha? I've heard needing a funnel to change the oil and special Yamaha spark plug tool.

Someone said the Honda eu7000is provides many more minutes of surge power but I can't find a clear answer on that. I know I can buy a lower watt unit but since I'm a mechanics/engineer/gadget guy like Tim Allen on Home Improvement, I just can't help it Should I just use up more of my savings and spring for the Honda?

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...RoCglMQAvD_BwE
Old 11-01-2018, 04:31:58 PM
Registered-I

The Honda 7000 has fuel injection that some have had nagging hard to diagnose problems with. For a purley standby unit do you really need/want the advantages of fuel injection? If you used it on a food truck 8-10 hours a day the fuel savings might be an advantage.
I think the 6500 has a carburetor.
My experience is with my 6000 Kubota powered unit is 3000 watts is a realistic load unless you have electric heat or water heater.

Honda has two 3000 inverter units. The difference is weight, surge/running watts, noise level and electric start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Romas For This Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 09:46:39 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I'm having 2nd thoughts about springing for the Honda eu7000is at $4k. My use is probably considered light-duty use at probably 2-3 times per year with mostly 1 day outages. Worst case scenarios are major ice storms and hurricanes with 5+ days of no power but that doesn't happen every year.

I can get the Yamaha EF6300 for $3060 from pplmotorhomes.com (a lot of these RV sites have good prices), and that includes shipping. That's $500 less than electricgenerators.com for the same Yamaha machine and almost $1k less than the Honda. Just that for 700 extra watts of starting power?

Is the maintenance really that bad on the Yamaha? I've heard needing a funnel to change the oil and special Yamaha spark plug tool.

Someone said the Honda eu7000is provides many more minutes of surge power but I can't find a clear answer on that. I know I can buy a lower watt unit but since I'm a mechanics/engineer/gadget guy like Tim Allen on Home Improvement, I just can't help it Should I just use up more of my savings and spring for the Honda?

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...RoCglMQAvD_BwE
I thought long and hard about the Yamaha EF6300 before I bought the Honda. The Yamaha has a smaller engine,less surge watts. Its harder to move around with the 4 fixed wheels. To change the oil you have to unscrew the side of the machine. Also there is no backup pull start if the battery is dead. I think the Honda EU7000 has a better resale value. Used ones on E-bay usually don't last long. The parallel option makes a used one attractive to owners who want more power.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexV For This Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 03:23:47 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
I'm having 2nd thoughts about springing for the Honda eu7000is at $4k. <snip>
unit but since I'm a mechanics/engineer/gadget guy like Tim Allen on Home Improvement, I just can't help it Should I just use up more of my savings and spring for the Honda?
I really like my MEP-002a, which I got on the 'bay for less than $500 + $120 shipping. The 002a is rated at 5kw by the military, but is really good for ~7kw of continuous load. Mine will run my entire house, including the 3 ton AC unit if you do a little sensible load management. I had to put a hard start kit on the AC in order to keep from tripping the breaker on startup, but the now the genny grunts a bit and away the AC goes...

It is an onan set, so built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Its' only drawback is that its somewhat noisy - it's an air cooled diesel - but if you can live with that, it is a great set. My generator resides in an outside shed, and is ~15 feet from my bedroom and I have no problems with the noise inside the house.

Fuel economy is also great. We recently had a power outage for about 23 hours and the generator only used 7 gallons of offroad diesel - gotta love that! It's rated at 0.5 gallon/hour at full load...

Another plus for a diesel set is that the fuel doesn't go bad as quickly as gas...

Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to kwfiggatt For This Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 08:31:34 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
I thought long and hard about the Yamaha EF6300 before I bought the Honda. The Yamaha has a smaller engine,less surge watts. Its harder to move around with the 4 fixed wheels. To change the oil you have to unscrew the side of the machine. Also there is no backup pull start if the battery is dead. I think the Honda EU7000 has a better resale value. Used ones on E-bay usually don't last long. The parallel option makes a used one attractive to owners who want more power.
Yeah, I researched that and the Honda eu7000is is way easier to service than the Yamaha. Although, I've decided to just buy an oil extraction pump kit off Amazon to change the oil now - so easy and no loosening the drain bolt, no drain pain and no crush washer to replace.

And again, I've now set my eyes on the Honda again. Guess I should just bite the bullet and buy this expensive machine. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost for something that will be used on a rarity.

The other inverter generator that has 5000+ watts is the Briggs and Stratton Q6500, but heard the sine wave has a lot of distortion and that it doesn't handle surges very well - something the Honda does extremely well.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:17:27 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Yeah, I researched that and the Honda eu7000is is way easier to service than the Yamaha. Although, I've decided to just buy an oil extraction pump kit off Amazon to change the oil now - so easy and no loosening the drain bolt, no drain pain and no crush washer to replace.

And again, I've now set my eyes on the Honda again. Guess I should just bite the bullet and buy this expensive machine. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost for something that will be used on a rarity.

The other inverter generator that has 5000+ watts is the Briggs and Stratton Q6500, but heard the sine wave has a lot of distortion and that it doesn't handle surges very well - something the Honda does extremely well.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. You right . The Honda GX390 does take surges very well. Honda's been building that motor and using it in a lot of different machines for a longtime. If you can hang on a few more weeks Honda usually has a sale around late November on them. I bought when that had the sale from Electric Generators direct and paid by check and got a larger discount.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexV For This Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:44:56 AM
Registered

I just went through hurricane Michael with a eu7000. I was 16 days without power. I put 384hrs on it, only turning it off to change the oil. I didn't even turn it off to gas it up. It will run 18 hrs on 5 gallons of gas. It is two times quieter than my eu2000. I ran a 5000 window air conditioner, microwave,coffee maker, 2 fridges, 1 freezer, 220 submersible pump, and all the lights I wanted. I would turn the well off to turn the water heater on for hot showers then turn the well back on. Its worth the extra money. I tried running 2 eu2000's parallel for 1 fridge and 1 freezer and my 5000 air con and it would keep tripping so I ended up just using the 7000 for everything. I tried to see how many watts the 7000 would take and it finally tripped at 9200 watts. You get what you pay for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottfarm For This Post: