Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Which Oil to use for EU7000IS

this thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 2029 times

Old 04-18-2018, 01:14:18 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Which Oil to use for EU7000IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Read Vanman's post #14. The link information is accurate and tells you all you need to know. Much of what is there I knew. After spending over 2 hours reading the exhaustive tests, I realized that the lore about diesel oils being better, and the need for zinc for flat tappet engines is just that. I will use only high rated conventional or synthetic gasoline engine oil in my engines. Mobil 1 did not rate near what they advertise.
Dirty engines like diesels require a different kind of additive package than engines that produce a lot of water like a NG fueled engine.
What do you need the oil to deal with its not all about the anti scuff additives.

I used to use Mobile 1 in a race application.
What I liked was it would not whip into a foam and blow out the breather.
Using better bearings, billet lifters ( Thank you ARC ) and some great hard faced and parkerized cams ( Thank you Tim Isky ) I did not have many problems.
The oil did what it needed to do without trying to do everything by itself.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2018, 10:23:22 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newoldstock View Post
I can not stress this enough.
Change your oil when it looks dirty, use a highly detergent diesel package designed for high heat and shock loads
I was looking John Deere Plus 50 II oil, which seems to be universally loved by diesel engine owners and it also has a gasoline engine oil API rating of SM, which exceeds the SJ requirement for the EU7000.

Anyone use this or similar oil type in their Honda with good luck?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20:30 PM
Registered

Conventional vs synthetic, it looks like there is always going to be a lot of controversy. The way I understand it is that conventional oils contain a lot of molecules of differing chemical structure and that synthetic oils have a fewer number of varying molecules, thus can be constructed to have better temperature stability, ect. I would suspect that irreguardless of synthetic or conventional the additive package has a lot to do with other properties, such as pressure lubrication, anti foaming and oxidation, viscosity ect. Personally I am using Mobil 1 in my equipment, the lawn mower gets changed twice a year, the generator and pressure washer gets an oil change after each use, even if it's only for a relatively few minutes or hours. That way when I store it away it has fresh oil, and oil, even expensive oil, is far less expensive than engine repairs. I still have an older John Deere lawn tractor with hydrostatic transmission that uses motor oil. It has no provision to drain oil, and someone mentioned one of the oil extraction pumps. I did get one of those to remove oil from it for replacement and it worked fine. It probably did not remove all , but most, and at least I can change it out occasionally. That mower was purchased new in 2000, and has had transmission oil replaced once and it's still going strong. I have also been running a big Scag ZTR and am running Castrol 20w50 synthetic in the wheel motor units on it. That is the viscosity that is specified for it and the only brand in a synthetic I could find. The Scag came with an oil drain valve for the Kawasaki engine so that makes it easy, My Honda powered generator and pressure washer had the oil drain plugs replaced with Fumoto oil drain valves, the same as I have on my diesel truck. On those small pieces of equipment, I have a rubber hose connected to the valve so I can drain the oil away from frames and not make an oily mess to clean up.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkingrph For This Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 09:15:07 PM
Registered

Just spoke with a mechanical engineer who studies all this stuff very carefully for all of his products.

He says small engine oils like the Honda brands, rely heavily on a good detergent package to keep debris and impurities suspended in the oil, instead of being deposited into the sump. Kept in suspension, they will all flush out when the oil is changed. Remember, there is no oil filter here.

That's probably why Honda does not recommend synthetic oil in the eu7000is. Synthetic oils just don't always work well in todays HOT running air cooled small engines. They formulated their small engine oil specifically for their small Honda engines' purpose.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:39:30 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
That's probably why Honda does not recommend synthetic oil in the eu7000is. Synthetic oils just don't always work well in todays HOT running air cooled small engines. They formulated their small engine oil specifically for their small Honda engines' purpose.
They do not make oil.
They buy it from some other guy.
I remember back int he 90s piles of Nissan outboards rusting and seizing because the storage oil branded Nissan was crap.
Nissan just picked a blender out of a hat and they screwed up the blend.

Dealer network was notified to tell all owners to use OMC engine storage spray ( from yet a different blender OMC trusted for years ).

Lesson.
Know what you need and why you buy it.
Honda probably has specified an oil rated for motorcycle use or diesel and picked a blender that matches their need.
Just buy some Rotella or Delvac and do not worry.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:00:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,534 Times in 2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newoldstock View Post
Just buy some Rotella or Delvac and do not worry.
I use it in everything. Cars, Kubota, mowers, gens, etc. Whichever one is on sale and usually in the five gallon buckets. If the semi syn is on sale I'll buy it. If not just the dino oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post: