Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

How often do you run your Honda EU7000?

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 819 times

Old 07-31-2018, 10:25:17 AM
Registered

Default How often do you run your Honda EU7000?

Hi - I have a Honda EU7000 generator for the rare (once every year or two) power outage. So I periodically run my generator. I used to run my EB2200 3-4x/year and that was sufficient, but the dealer says I need to run my new EU7000 every 30 days - true? How often do you run yours? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2018, 09:18:51 PM
Registered

Default Re: How often do you run your Honda EU7000?

I store my indefinitely! Before storing it, I put seafoam in a little bit of gas and run it till it shuts down. Then I pull the spark plug and squirt a bit of oil in the cylinder. Next use the pull start a few times and crank it over slowly with no spark plug. Put the plug back in and pull the pull start till their is resistance. That way you know it is on the compression stroke and the intake and exhaust valves are closed. Lastly I pull the fuel tank remove the remaining gas and pour half a can of seafoam in. Put fuel cap back on and swish the tank all around to cover all the metal in the tank. Re- install tank and it can sit for a very long time! The key is the seafoam. It is oily and protects all the bare metal inside the tank.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:11:41 AM
Registered

I have a bigger EB11000. I always use ethanol free gas, and treat it with one of the fuel stablizers, cannot remember what I have right now, but something I read recommedations about that was supposed to be better than Stabil, don't really know but time will tell. I also add a little 2 cycle oil, probably getting a dilution somewhere around 1:400 or 1:500, I keep the tank full and for the last 15 or so years see no signs of corrosion in the tank. My generator has a fuel shutoff, so I simply run the carb dry. My idea is the 2 cycle oil will give a very thin film on all parts and seals to keep them from drying out and sticking, It seems to be working
Old 08-01-2018, 09:43:24 AM
Subscriber

You can get away with 0-4 times a year, but monthly is good advice for something that has to work when you need it.. Weekly would be even better, but less practical..
Best thing you can do for any mechanical equipment, is to use it regularly.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:50:25 AM
Registered

Thanks - The sales guy at my dealer pushed the ethanol-free gas (~$25/gal). My approach had been to use Marine Sta-Bil when I buy my (regular) gas, keep the tank topped off, and don't keep gas more than a year.

I asked two different tech support guys at Honda on different days, as well as another sales guy at my dealer, which approach was better. The other sales guy said my approach was "fine". The Honda techs specifically said thet recommend my approach, and they do not recommend ethanol-free gas. They didn't say it would hurt, but they don't recommend it.

For whatever it's worth

/j

I'm leaning toward starting it up every 90 days, but still wondering how that works for others

---------- Post added at 09:50:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48:39 AM ----------

Also - I appreciate the idea of prepping it for storage - and am sure that works. But when we need it, we need it quickly (and it may be my better-half starting it up), so I need to make that side of the process as simple as possible.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:09:50 AM
Registered-I

Do you mean they recommend ethanol-free gas? I can't imagine anyone recommending gasoline with ethanol in a small engine like this. I'm not saying it's necessary but if the price is similar, I would go with ethanol-free. Ethanol-free gas will last longer with stabilizer in many climates.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:56:56 PM
Registered

Honda suggests regular gasoline with stabilizer, a topped off tank, and periodically replacing the gas (like 1-2x year). My dealer sells ethanol-free for $25/gallon. vs $3 at the pump
Old 08-01-2018, 02:19:49 PM
Registered-I

I think the 10% Ethanol gasoline recommendation is relative to the extremely high price of $25/gallon. Since both fuel types are acceptable, 10% E is the better choice for that scenario in my opinion.

I can get Ethanol-free gas for about the same price as 10% here. I think normalized pricing would change the recommendation.

The owner's manual says "no more than 10% Ethanol". I read that as 10% is acceptable, more than 10% is not, and it's logical that less Ethanol is better... including 0%.

There's no upside in having Ethanol added to gas from the generator's point of view or in terms of fuel stability. It's arguable that Ethanol does not negatively impact stability with the right additives but it sure doesn't help.
The Following User Says Thank You to billinjax For This Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 03:04:04 PM
Registered

I know ethanol is bad for engines,but upon calling Honda,. I found that as soon as I start mentioning "ethanol-free", they cut in with "oh, no, no no, you don't have to deal with that. Our stuff runs fine on regular gas (even with 10% ethanol). Call them yourself :-)
Old 08-01-2018, 06:13:46 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw00 View Post
I know ethanol is bad for engines,but upon calling Honda,. I found that as soon as I start mentioning "ethanol-free", they cut in with "oh, no, no no, you don't have to deal with that. Our stuff runs fine on regular gas (even with 10% ethanol). Call them yourself :-)
The're right you don't have too. Honda engines will run just fine with less than 10% ethanol fuel. Given the choice I would run non ethanol because it stores much better and doesn't destroy fuel lines over time. It doesn't attract as much moisture. I just got back from Florida. Every time I return the rental car I stop at a Racetrac gas station near the airport. I'm amazed how available non ethanol gas is in that state. My Florida friends are very lucky.