Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Back Feeding House Panel with EU7000

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 937 times

Old 10-07-2018, 08:17:05 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Back Feeding House Panel with EU7000

My daughter recently had a new home built and they wanted to wire it for an emergency generator. They discussed what options they had and although they would have rather had a fully automatic panel, they could not afford it so they went with the interlock switch. They are happy with it and it is pretty foolproof. I am one of those nasty guys who back feeds from my barn. No romex cable plugged into a dryer plug though. 50 Amp dedicated receptacle which I also use to run my welder and plasma cutter. A 200 amp panel in my home feeds my barn/workshop through a 100 amp breaker.

When backfeeding, I use this lockout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCeE3XgybI

It cost me under $10.00

When I lose power, I go down to my basement and shut off my main. I install the lockout on the main switch which takes all of 2 minutes. I then go out to the barn and start my generator and power my home back feeding through a 50 amp breaker in my garage panel. This system has worked fine and I consider it safe for me. Last year with the big snow storm we had I lost power for over a week. I ran my generator every day with no issues.

If I were to build a new home, I would probably go with a fully automatic unit with an automatic transfer switch. But it's just not cost effective for me in my retirement years.

If you don't have a good sound understanding of electrical wiring and power requirements, then I would advise anyone to stay away from back feeding altogether.

As far as being illegal to do it, when my local utility company starts paying my taxes, then I will let them tell me what I can and cannot do with my property.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2018, 08:56:20 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Holmander View Post
...When backfeeding, I use this lockout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCeE3XgybI...
That will be a nice addition to my toolbox, thank you. Certainly not equivalent to a breaker handle interlock, but useful nonetheless.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:31:56 PM
Registered

Well I bought a 6 circuit transfer switch from home depot $279 OUCH. Had to buy 100' of 10-3 $97 OUCH. I have a 100amp box that feeds directly from the transformer with my well breaker in it. I'm gonna splice it and run it to my house box 110 more feet making it a total of 200' from my well. My house panel is 200w in the house completely separate from the 100amp box that supplies my well and shop. When I don't need the generator I would like to reuse the breaker on my 100amp box because my house 200w box already has too much on it, so I need some kind of single transfer switch there. The reason I am installing this is when I lose power I lose a way to water my cows and me. And when they are out of water they are going through the fence to find it. I also want to find the best way to utilize the the two 2000's running parallel. I wish the 2000's could run my 240v 1hp well, it would save me some money not having to buy the 100' of wire. What are ya'lls opinion. Sorry for the dum ass questions.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:54:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,609 Posts

With all due respect, I think you would be well advised to call for qualified on-site help with this project. Yours seems to be the kind of project that is too complicated to readily address via written word from miles away.

What will take perhaps days to figure out here would be a hour's task for a qualified person on your premises able to see it first hand and ask relevant questions.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:10:20 PM
Registered-III

I agree with Wayne440.

I would point out that your well pump might have problems on a wire that long. Deep well pumps draw a ton of amps at starting. If the line loss is too high the motor could fail to start up correctly and burn out in short order. The wire gauge likely will need to be increased to 8 AWG wire for entire length of run to well pump. The well might better be left as is without a qualified expert looking things over first.

From what I've read I feel this project is quite complex and quite involved and should be overseen by a qualified electrician.

Robert

Last edited by Railroads; 10-08-2018 at 12:34:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:31:44 PM
Registered

When I lose power, I go down to my basement and shut off my main. I install the lockout on the main switch which takes all of 2 minutes. I then go out to the barn and start my generator and power my home back feeding through a 50 amp breaker in my garage panel. This system has worked fine and I consider it safe for me. Last year with the big snow storm we had I lost power for over a week. I ran my generator every day with no issues.

If you don't have a good sound understanding of electrical wiring and power requirements, then I would advise anyone to stay away from back feeding altogether.

As far as being illegal to do it, when my local utility company starts paying my taxes, then I will let them tell me what I can and cannot do with my property.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be smart, but if back feeding and a utility worker is injured or killed as a result, the person doing the back feeding might find out just how illegal it is.