Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Fastenal price hike!

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 2659 times

Old 01-19-2019, 04:12:39 PM

Thanked 6,760 Times in 4,297 Posts
Exclamation Fastenal price hike!

My son in Colorado wanted to ship out his personal belongings from NJ to CO. He told me that he just found out that Fastenal has hiked their prices by 60% as of January! He is now planning to rent or buy a trailer and haul it himself. Any other shippers hiked their rates so much? They wouldn't give him a reason, but fuel costs and a lack of drivers and trucks may be issues.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 05:27:43 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fastenal price hike!

I saw on another forum someone was claiming they were being pressured by the bigger shippers. Don't know how true it was. Somebody at the top probably figures it's a way to increase revenue.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:33:44 PM
Registered

Yes, there is a driver shortage.
I have a relative who is a long-haul truck driver. His company is desperate to hire drivers.
He has learned that nationally there are currently 37,000 vacant driving jobs available.
Wages and working conditions are poor, and the industry is not attracting new blood.
Owner-operators are also becoming scarce because government regulations have driven the cost of purchasing and operating a truck so high.
Caterpillar engines used to be the standard of excellence for big rigs. No more......
https://www.todaystrucking.com/cater...gine-business/
Old 01-19-2019, 06:07:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,456 Times in 416 Posts

Andrew, you're right. 6 months ago I could ship a 400 lb engine from WA to PA for $175 and the price now would be about 400-425 from what ive gathered. Tell Jr I asked about him and still have that ericsson 2" kit I hope to have finished soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firewoodguy For This Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 06:51:07 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,016 Times in 706 Posts

Three months ago I inquired about shipping a 30" cube weighing 300lbs from Alaska to Long Island via Fastenal and was quoted $950. There is just no way, the contents arent worth a third of that. I have used Fastenal quite a bit over the years throughout the continental USA and they have been quite affordable. A 60% increase in shipping rates is going to stop people from using them. I suspect most will jump to YRC and the like.

Chris
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,923 Posts

Call me dumb as a rock but if they were making money driving an otherwise half empty truck at the old rate,why would they "take pressure" from other companys to increase thier rates? Now they have shot themselves in the foot and will be driving half empty trucks and will have to go up on their products to cover fuel cost and such instead of using the empty space to take care of it. DUH.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:02:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,168 Posts

The local wholesale marketer that sells to the convenience stores and restaurants is constantly running radio ads saying they have new business and need more drivers, even with like a sign on bonus. Seems there is a shortage of drivers and a shortage of decent pay for them. I'd bet the good paying companies are the ones charging the higher rates for hauling. Many other factors play into rates, fuel prices, state and federal regulations, which tighten each year. It's almost not profitable to be a owner operator, any more, All you do is break even.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:54:44 AM
Registered

I hope that is not true. I used them for the first time a few weeks ago. Shipped and entire truck engine (850lbs) from Michigan to Texas for $200. Now the guy paid for the shipping on New Years eve, so maybe he got it at the old rate. It was a good experience and I thought a decent price. If they hiked it 60% pretty sure that will be the first and last time I use them......
Old 01-20-2019, 08:37:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,923 Posts

When gas went to 4 bucks a gallon folks raised their rates claiming fuel cost.
I can't see the honesty in raising the rates and blameing fuel cost when it has went DOWN to half that cost now.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 12:15:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,534 Times in 723 Posts

I asked the local Fastenal about shipping thru them and they acted like they had never heard of it. They're kinda independent bunch here. All they want to service is business' Walk ins hardly get noticed.
The Following User Says Thank You to slip knot For This Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 10:27:27 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
I asked the local Fastenal about shipping thru them and they acted like they had never heard of it. They're kinda independent bunch here. All they want to service is business' Walk ins hardly get noticed.
I asked the gal at Fastenal about shipping me some cutting edge bolts when they didn't have enough in stock. She looked at me puzzled and said shipping??? I said never mind, I will order online.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:54:11 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
I asked the local Fastenal about shipping thru them and they acted like they had never heard of it.
Don't ask the people in the stores, they probably have never heard of it.. You have to go to the website to arrange shipping (something logistics, name seems to change). I've only used it once but would be a shame for it to go away..
Old 01-21-2019, 06:31:04 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
When gas went to 4 bucks a gallon folks raised their rates claiming fuel cost.
I can't see the honesty in raising the rates and blameing fuel cost when it has went DOWN to half that cost now.
A big factor in new freight rates is that the old fashion log book has become a thing of the past. Mandatory new regulations using GPS and other tracking systems along with electronic logging to record hours behind the wheel mean that when your time is up, it is up and you must take a break. Shippers of perishable freight are having a difficult time with these new regulations. This, and a driver shortage among other factors, contribute to higher rates.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:35:05 PM

Thanked 6,760 Times in 4,297 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Fastenal price hike!

Firewoodguy, The Rider was mine. Hope to see it running soon! I'll tell Andrew you were asking for him. Ever get that BMW running? Any new projects?
Andrew
Old 01-22-2019, 07:32:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,456 Times in 416 Posts

Ahh. It was your kit! Jr must have snuck that sale for fuel $ before he made the western trip. LOL. I think we’re about 2/3 thru the build. Next big step is making the water pump since their are no castings on that part. The bmw r50 i had on the road last fall. Got about 3 rides out of it. . Been looking for a Bulletstyle stieb sidecar with no luck. Few projects on the table when I’m not cutting/splitting firewood, 5x6 rock crusher fetched below Pburg that needs a heavy duty skid and a 76 land cruiser that needs some sheet metal work. See you in May at JT if the country is still somewhat intact.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:27:30 AM
Subscriber

Fastenal does not want retail customers anymore.I talked to a salesman at a store who said ,after many years being a customer,i can no longer buy from them.If you dont have a tax number as a business,they dont want our business.I used to buy special bolts and nuts there for machine building.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:55:21 AM
Subscriber

I'll check with a localish store and see if I can buy some $6 gloves that I use.They sure were good to me a few months ago shipping some steel wheels up from TN.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:41:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman56 View Post
Fastenal does not want retail customers anymore.I talked to a salesman at a store who said ,after many years being a customer,i can no longer buy from them.If you dont have a tax number as a business,they dont want our business.I used to buy special bolts and nuts there for machine building.
Sent a friend to Fastenal today, they told her same thing, no more retail customers, they are too much of a pia to be bothered with.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:35:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,714 Posts

Big sign on the door at my local store a few weeks ago saying essentially the same thing.
But as they are scraping for business I walked in and they took my 20 bucks for some oddball metric bolts.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:35:13 PM
Subscriber

I walked into the local store several months ago looking for a couple of #8 taper pins, they didn't have them in stock, but would be happy to get them in from another store or warehouse. Then they told me how much the shipping would be, more than the pins were worth, I said no thanks and haven't been back.
PT