Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Lightning Strikes

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 954 times

Old 09-22-2018, 05:52:01 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts
Default Lightning Strikes

A guy I know has a contract business with an insurance company, buys all of their acquired vehicles. I told him I would like a chance at the GM lightning strike vehicles. I've gotten 4 so far this year, a 14 and 15 GMC crew cab 4X4 with the lift kits, big tires, fender flares, an 11 extended cab 4x4, and the latest, a 12 Duramax. The first two didn't interest me with the lift kits, repaired and sold them, the 11 would have been nice but I really wanted a crew cab for traveling to shows with friends. My son took the 11, got the Diesel running today. It's a nice truck, 55,000 miles, LTZ with all of the options, even a sunroof which doesn't excite me. It's been garage kept, looks like new. So far I've replaced the engine, transmission, body, glow plug, onstar, abs, airbag, and theft modules. The instrument cluster and A/c control panel also. Still need to replace the occupant sensor, the yaw sensor, and the trailer brake controller.

Last edited by J.B. Castagnos; 09-22-2018 at 05:53:34 PM. Reason: correction
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2018, 06:49:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,522 Times in 1,670 Posts
Default Re: lightning strikes

JB, we bought 2 new JD tractors and they have been nothing but headaches due to electronic failures. There is an electronic controller in the transmission that is bad on one. To replace it the cab has to be removed (and do do this requires disconnecting and evacuating the AC, hydraulics, etc., etc.....), break the tractor in half, pull the transmission, completely disassemble and then get to the controller. Its evidently the first piece to go in the transmission and the last piece to come out.

The good news is the part costs only $800. The bad news is the labor to install it is around $12,000. JD has had to eat a lot of warranty work on these tractors. As soon as they hit the end of the warranty period they'll be traded off.

I can see how a lightning strike on a vehicle would total it.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:07:42 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts
Default Re: lightning strikes

Having to do them under warranty may make them re think the design, a module could have easily been placed on the outside, electricity travels fast and wire is inexpensive. The local sugar mill had a new dozer struck while operating, after a stay in the shop it was totaled. Over the years I've fixed eleven, 9 were from insurance totals, two I was the first shop. On all of the insurance totals, many modules had been replaced before they gave up. The last truck just needed a power window motor in the drivers door and a radio antenna. Some shops don't know how to diagnose them. There's a splice pack to separate the module communication lines, all of them were still taped in the harness.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:24:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,522 Times in 1,670 Posts
Default Re: Lightning Strikes

JB, I was told by the JD salesman that the tractors have been discontinued. So, I guess JD learned it lesson on them. He said the new tractors "have much less electronics on them".
Old 09-23-2018, 08:53:45 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Lightning Strikes

More and more equipment is controlled by computers now. Its a nightmare on the equipment side of things. A car carrier is not going to pick up a big Cat loader on a job site. When a machine like that goes down, big money is lost every day. Semi and Tractor Trailers guys hate them, especially the independent owners. When I was working, just before I retired they bought a brand new Kubota tractor with a rear mower and a side unit on a hydraulic arm for mowing over guardrails. Beautiful machine with full cab, air conditioning, cruise control. Well, it broke down on the job and the mechanics towed it back to the shop. Called Kubota and they said they had to come and get it and take it to their shop to plug it into a diagnostic machine to fix it. Needless to say, the company was not very happy. I think it had like 500 hrs. on it when it happened. We bought a brand new Mack 10 wheel dump truck for snow plowing. It had the EGR exhaust gas regenerating system on it. I think that's what they called it. I was plowing with it and all of a sudden this warning light comes on telling me that the truck is going into that EGR mode. When this happens, you have to put the truck in neutral and sit there and wait for 30 minutes until it completes the cycle. The boss comes by and the truck is sitting on the side of the road in the snow storm with about 6 inches of snow on it. He was not a happy camper lol.