Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Air Compressors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Air Compressors Restoration, Repair and use of Shop and Industrial Air Compressors

Air Compressors

Bellaire 318VL Air Compressor

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1132 times

Old 04-17-2018, 08:44:21 AM
Registered

Default Bellaire 318VL Air Compressor

Im going to look at a Bellaire 318VL air compressor to buy. I haven't found many reviews on the brand or model. I sure would appreciate and reviews on the model, pros and cons.

Two-Stage Hybrid Pump
Designed for superior quality & extends the life of the pump
Compact Design
Ideal for work environments where space is a premium
7.5-HP Single-Phase Motor (208-230V) w/ Magnetic Starter Included
Saves $$$, No need to purchase additional starter
80-Gallon ASME Certified Vertical Air Tank
100% factory tested at full pressure
High Flow Belt Guard
Fully enclosed design provides added safety
Oil Level Sight Glass
Easily check the oil level at any time
Start-Stop Pressure Switch Control
Saves time and energy
Stainless Steel Valves
Extends the life of the compressor
3/4" air outlet works with many systems
2 Year Factory Warranty
Protects your investment

Specifications
Motor
Voltage
208-230 Volt AC
Phase
1-Phase
Magnetic Starter
Yes
Amp Draw
Consult Certified Electrician
Recommended Breaker
60 Amp Breaker
Engine
HP
Pump
CFM
CFM Rated @
90 PSI
Pump Material
Solid Cast Iron
Pump Type
Two-Stage
Max PSI
175 PSI
Oil Sight Glass
Yes
After Cooler
Yes
Pump Drive
Belt Drive
Oil Type
Oil Lubricated
Oil System
Splash Lubricated
Pump Low Oil Shut-off
No
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24:19 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,020 Times in 708 Posts
Default Re: Bellaire 318VL Air Compressor

Welcome to smokstak, are you looking for a new compressor or a used compressor? What sort of work are you doing? The compressor that you are looking at is not made by Bellaire, the compressor is actually built by Eaton, which is a Chinese compressor.
https://www.eatoncompressor.com/5hp-...ompressor-pump

When looking for a compressor, you need to factor in what sort of work you are doing, what cfm is required and at what pressure, how long the compressor will be running, what power source you have, and what you want to spend. Ideally 1 electric horsepower is equivalent to at most 4 cubic feet per minute of air flow. There are many tiers of reciprocating compressors, some are much better than others. In my opinion, Quincy's QR-25 series of compressors are unmatched in regards to reliability. Kellogg American also built some great compressors. Champion is one of the last American pump manufacturers left, they build pumps on par with Ingersoll Rand. Basically everything else is a lower grade pump. Without going into too much detail, you can define the quality of a pump by answering these three questions; 1) What motor does it have - Is it actually a dedicated NEMA frame size motor? and is it 1750 or 3600rpm? 1750rpm is the way to go. 2) Does the compressor have an oil pump, or is it splash lubricated? Pressure lubricated is the way to go. 3) What does the compressor have for valves? Are they dedicated user-serviceable valves, or are they a piece of spring steel flapping against a flat surface? Once you can visualize the differences between an industrial pump designed to run 100,000 hours or more, and what you may find at your big box store or horrible freight, you will be on the right track for finding a good workhorse of a compressor.

Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 09:55:39 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated. Its a used air compressor ,parent company is Atlas Copco , IMC , ABAC it has an Italian pump on it. Its for home use, some spray painting,use for blast cabinet etc. Nothing major. The seller wants $800.00 for it or best offer.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:45:32 PM
Registered

If it was up to me I would look for a good used American-made compressor.The ones I have the most experience with are the old cast iron Devilbiss and the cast iron Curtis machines. These are relatively simple machines but are built to last forever if maintained properly. The Quincys are a mixed bag. They are probably the most advanced and sophisticated piston compressors you can buy. But with that comes complexity and the potential for problems. I personally have had good luck with the smaller Quincys but have never owned any of the larger machines, such as the model 325. Speaking to others, most people's experiences with them have been great but at least a couple of people I know have had major and ongoing problems with these compressors. The fact that these owners were highly skilled and experienced mechanically, and the fact that they never managed to get the compressors right (they gave up and sold 'em) is worrisome.

I have limited experience with other common US brands and have not been too impressed by what I have seen. I'd stay away from them except maybe the I-R type 30.

There's other good compressors out there but they are rarely seen, such as Worthington, Westinghouse, and LeRoi to name but a few. Good, luck finding one.

I know used compressors don't come on the market every day so if you are in a hurry maybe the one you described would be okay for your needs. Price seems high though for a non- name brand machine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 02:16:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,940 Posts

I have a couple of big ole Kelloggs. Two cylinder, two stage. One is 5 hp the other is 10. The flywheel alone weighs ~200 lbs lol. They seem to be rugged, well made machines, fairly simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 03:07:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,733 Times in 980 Posts

I have a quincy I bought new 15 years ago and a used champion I took in on trade that's around 25 years old, both have seen severe duty since I have owned them and no problems with either. just keep them full of oil and clean filters installed. the quincy took out two motors but no worries with the compressor.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:20:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,181 Times in 2,061 Posts

I have a Quincy compressor, think it is the 325. Purchased almost 30 years ago, used, and its still chugging along today, and has never needed a repair. Valves are starting to leak a little, but not enough to worry about yet.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:54:33 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,020 Times in 708 Posts

This Gardner Denver ACD comes up on craigslist not far from your house. It might be worth looking at. Any reputable compressor has a tag welded to the tank with pertinent information such as capacity, working pressure, wall thickness and manufacturing date.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fo...533456535.html

This Devilbiss 432 also came up nearby. Beware it is a ring oiled compressor. I had one just like it which dropped a piston and blew itself apart.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tl...534741104.html

If the Gardner Denver is close by, and you can get it for less than the asking price and you either have 3 phase power or another motor to run that compressor you will be better off. By the way, you want a horizontal receiver. If you are really crunched on space that you have to run a vertical receiver, than you have no choice, but when in doubt the horizontal receiver is a much better alternative. You will find that most of the good ole American compressors with vertical receivers leak air and have needed replacement tanks. The feet on a vertical tank cannot take the weight and vibrations like a horizontal receiver can. Anyways, I havent yet looked to see what the ratings are on that GD compressor, but the rule of thumb is that you want the compressor to cycle no more than three times an hour. With any form of media blasting you need a lot of air. I run the largest jet and nozzles I can put in my Clemco Blast-N-Peen gun, which are listed at 84cfm. My compressor is 68cfm, but it keeps up just fine. With the integrated Quincy LVD it freewheels the compressor at 130psi and as soon as 120 is seen at the receiver the compressor loads up and goes. It is very very convenient. It keeps wear and tear on the motor down to a minimum. Optimal blasting pressure is 80-90psi for most media. You will need an air dryer to match the output of your compressor if you are going to be serious about blasting. I used to run a small -4 nozzle with a 20cfm 230 Quincy compressor running flat out at 900rpm. I'd recommend a setup like that for most hobbyists. The 240 is more common and readily available. The two stage units, 316, 325, 340, 350, 370, 390 can be a bit more than you need. If you only ever need up to 100-110psi, a single stage 240 or 255 compressor would be perfect, both run great with a 5 of 7.5hp single phase 1750rpm motor. If a two stage unit is required, the rugged 325 and larger 340's are wonderful compressors. I run a 350 most of the time, and only kick on the 15hp 390 when I need it. Most reciprocating compressors need to be run for at least ten minutes, so size your compressor appropriately. Quincy among other compressor manufacturers are known to build a lot of water in the cylinder head. Until the compressor comes up to temperature, which can be 20 or more minutes, the condensation cannot burn off and stays trapped in the head. Giving your compressor a good workout from time to time keeps that from happening. I've certainly had problems with my Quincy compressors over the years, but none of them ever blew up, like my Devilbiss which dropped a piston....I expect to have to make repairs from time to time, I did not buy the compressor new. I cannot justify $15 grand for a compressor head, when I know I can rebuild a used one several times over for that money. The local Quincy dealer is friendly and has parts in stock for all of my Quincy Compressors, from the little A-4 to the monster 390's I run almost everyday. The only confusing part about them is the unloaders, LVD's and so forth, but once you read through the service manual they are not hard to rebuild or setup.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52:02 PM
Registered

I had a Quincy 325 lined up to buy for $375. I was on my way (50 miles) to get it and was running late, so I called the guy and told him I'd be 20 mins away. He informed me that he sold it the night before to a friend that came by. I had my son change his work schedule.

I bought a boat one time and tried to put a deposit down and the older gentleman wouldn't take it and said; A man is as good as his word.

---------- Post added at 07:52:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42:34 PM ----------

Here is the pump that's on it.

Description

T39 COMPRESSOR PUMP ABAC AMERICAN IMC BELAIRE

PART#: T39 The T39 compressor pump has cast iron cylinders, stainless steel valves, oversized ball bearings, triple pass pump and mounted after cooler. The T39 replaced the T35. Same fittings and bolt pattern. Only difference is crank and connecting rods. Mounting holes front to side holes front to back are 6.57″ Side to side holes = 9.25″

Specifications:

Cylinder Cast Iron
Bore: 4.13 x 2.05 960 RPM @ 5.0 HP
STroke 2.95 1360 RPM @ 5.0 HP
Min. RPM: 700 18.50 ACFM @ 100 psi (5 HP)
Max. RPM: 1400 25.5 ACFM @ 100 psi (7.5 HP)
Maximum Pressure: 175 psi
15.00″ Flywheel
2 A Section Belt
Oil Cap.: 1.25 Quarts
Old 04-18-2018, 09:57:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

A 7.5 HP single phase motor is going to draw some serious juice...do you have wiring to handle it? You did say home use. A lot of home wiring is not adequate for 7.5 HP. Notice on amp draw it says "consult certified electrician"...
Smokstak member #442
Old 04-18-2018, 03:20:38 PM
Registered

Already have it wired, thanks

---------- Post added at 03:20:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55:07 PM ----------

Its made by Chicago Pneumatic , same as this one only a different color.

Chicago Pneumatic 7.5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor