Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Portable Engines!

this thread has 194 replies and has been viewed 45713 times

Old 12-29-2008, 05:48:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,104 Times in 6,827 Posts
Default Portable Engines!

Well, I am not sure if there has been a thread on here dedicated specifically to portable engines? If there is one already running, I apologize to the person that started it and perhaps our kind and expert moderators could just work their magic and add these posts to it?
But, we talk a lot about all the big plowing engines that the various companies made. They were fantastic machines but in reality, very few were built. The bread and butter, at least in the early years, were the basic little portable engines that paved the way for traction engines and later plowing engines. That is what got all the Canadian and United States steam makers in business.
Please feel free to post images or conversation about portables of any breed.
The first are actually a couple of views from right in this area. One is silo filling from the late 1890s with what appears to be a return flue Luther D Sawyer (or Sawyer and Massey). Tim Searson will surely have more to say about this one? The barn is typical of what you saw through this area. Most of them are gone now, burned down or fallen down from neglect. They were things of beauty in and of themselves with huge beams all doweled together.
The second shot is of a Waterous Fire Proof Champion parked threshing right at the barn. A lot of barn threshing was done here in the winter, especially in the early days using horse powers. But this looks to be more of a warmer weather scene judging by the shirts some of the guys are wearing.
Onkel G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lds.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	45792   Click image for larger version

Name:	champ.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	45793  
Old 12-29-2008, 06:01:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,171 Times in 2,114 Posts
Default Re: Portable Engines!

Onkel G,
This sounds like a purty good idea to me. This is an 1863 R. Wolf portable at the Deutches Museum in Munich, Germany taken in 1990. That HoffbrauHaus Tee-shirt came from the HoffbrauHaus too!

Here is a "#1 Case" type engine threshing in North Dakota.

This is the photo I actually went looking for, when I found the two above first. I have no idea what it is, but it is threshing near Buffalo, Montana... over in the Judith Basin, where I grew up. Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 12-30-2008 at 12:15:09 AM. Reason: corrected date on first picture
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 12-29-2008, 06:02:00 PM
Subscriber

This scene has all the elements of early Ontario threshing! I think it may have been taken up around Robert bin Sawyer's neck of the woods?
I have added a blow up of the engine as I am not 100% certain what it is? It could be a Joseph Hall engine from Oshawa, Ontario and the hand fed threshing mill might also be one of those? Anyone have any ideas?
Looks like they might need to get the horses on the engine and yank her back as the belt is starting to run onto the wheel. These old engines worked away day after day at 75 or 80 psi and threshed thousands of bushels of grain.
This has come up on here before but around this part of Ontario, a threshing machine was simply called the seperator. In Eastern Ontario most everyone called them the mill. In Québec, I gues they were called la batteuse and in Britain the drum.
Onkel G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hall1.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	45794   Click image for larger version

Name:	hall2.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	45795  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-29-2008, 06:05:27 PM
Registered-III

Onkel G,
I noticed your last post. I saw the boards bolted and placed from the top of the rear wheel to the bottom of the front wheel. The Case in my second picture had the same thing. Some of those old girls must have really been out of balance, as they used this method of taking the "rock" out of them on the belt. Gary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 12-29-2008, 06:22:15 PM
Registered-III

Onkel G,
We had many in our neighborhood who always called them "Trash machines, or Trashing machines," I think it was their Germanic heritage that caused that. Thrash machine or Thrashing machine is still pretty common. My dad on the other hand, often called them a separator or a grain separator.

I thought a good friend of mine from the Isle of Mann referred to them using a "mill" they threshed with on his place. They also had to push that "threshing machine" between buildings and down narrow alleyways to get it where they wanted to thresh.

Now I know the late Eric Campbell called this a "mill" that this 17hp Sawyer-Massey tandem compound is turning in Canada. Gary

ADDED: I just found a photo of the engine and the mill!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 12-29-2008, 07:32:33 PM
Subscriber

Gary,
Eric used a lot of other words, not all of them very fancy!
He was a great guy though but I never had a chance to make it there when their show was on. It looked like an excellent event. One time I saw a short item on the tv and it was filmed at Eric's show. there were a few scenes with the Sawyer and Massey engines as well as some "thrashin'" with a horse tread power. That would be a thread for a different forum but horse powered threshing with a tread power or a sweep is something I can watch all day!
My dad called it the seperator but he also called it damn hard work! I was still young when we were still threshing at home so I didn't have to get into the hard slugging. I just brought stuff for the thresherman - it was an Eagle tractor! But dad said it was a banner day when they switched from the Waterloo steamer to the Eagle oil tractor as you didn't have to cart water and wood anymore!
G.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:24:35 PM
Registered-III

Here's one from a local farm.Anyone know what model?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09:02 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Gary,
Eric used a lot of other words, not all of them very fancy!
He was a great guy though but I never had a chance to make it there when their show was on. It looked like an excellent event. One time I saw a short item on the tv and it was filmed at Eric's show. there were a few scenes with the Sawyer and Massey engines as well as some "thrashin'" with a horse tread power. G.
Onkel G,
Eric sent me a VHS tape of their show several years ago. Besides the portable, there was a traction Sawyer-Massey and maybe a Case? They were running three "mills" too. It also had footage of collecting maple for syrup and ended with a country dance. May have even had accordion music!!!!! I should get it out and watch it again, then put it onto DVD.
Gary
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55:04 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler View Post
Onkel G,
I noticed your last post. I saw the boards bolted and placed from the top of the rear wheel to the bottom of the front wheel. The Case in my second picture had the same thing. Some of those old girls must have really been out of balance, as they used this method of taking the "rock" out of them on the belt. Gary
Dad made a replica set of board chocks for our Gaar-Scott portable years ago and they work great. We still work the engine pretty hard at most shows we take it to and if it doesn't have its chocks on it rocks like crazy! It is an 8hp engine but has a 8"X13" bore and stroke so there's a lot of momentum to counter for such a small engine. Here are a few pictures of it with its chocks on at the A. Gaar Mansion Museum in Richmond, IN this summer in conjunction with the Model T Ford Centennial. It had been 138 years since the engine had been back home to the town it was built!

As far as Nichols and Shepard portables Ben. I've heard rumors of maybe one around but haven't seen one so it's hard to say for sure. I'll also point out that Nichols and Shepard may have had some sort of arrangement with Wood, Taber, and Morse at least as far as the portable engines were concerned. Look at the N&S portable on page 43 in Norbeck's Encyclopedia then compare it to the Wood, Taber, and Morse on page 50. There are some minor differences but definitely the same engine overall wouldn't you say?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gaar Mansion 08 014web.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	45852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaar Mansion 08 019web.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	45853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaar Mansion 08 022web.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	45854  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BannerBoy For This Post:
Old 12-29-2008, 06:04:41 PM

Thanked 19,900 Times in 5,874 Posts
Exclamation Re: Portable Engines!

Nice idea for a thread G.......but I'm gonna warn everyone about running off to their scanners, or whatever, and posting copyrighted material.
The same goes for photos you might find on the web.....please check for copyrights and any terms there might be for using those images elsewhere. Ebay is quite specific about using images from the site.....DON'T.
LINKING is an entirely different matter........most of the time.

Back to G's regularly scheduled programming.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post: