Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Antique Washing Machines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Washing Machines Old collectible washing machines as used on the farm.

Antique Washing Machines

1930's Vintage Maytag Washing Machine Questions

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3796 times

Old 02-10-2015, 12:45:45 AM
Registered-III

Default 1930's Vintage Maytag Washing Machine Questions

A buddy found a Maytag washer for me on Craigslist and we went for a 300 mile round trip to pick it up. Serial number is 651131Z. Looks to be in great shape. Only light surface rust on some of the steel/cast iron surfaces. The aluminum tub and parts is in excellent shape, interior is almost spotless. It has a factory Maytag electric motor on it. Would that make this a Model 30? Can any of you narrow down the year of this washer?

I'm going to pull the motor off and clean it up before trying to run anything. What lubricants do I want to use in the gearbox?

Does the control lever on the drive for the wringer disengage the agitator and then spin the wringer? Or does it just turn the wringer on and off?

I assume the drain hose is just a gravity affair and has no valve.

Does the motor spin constantly and the on/off lever that looks like a gear shift engage some sort of clutch? Or does it actually run a switch for the motor?

This will be an awesome addition to the rural electrification exhibit I'm slowly putting together. I run a bunch of old items (like a vintage FE Meyer water pump) off a 1943 Kohler 1A21 autostart genset. People love it all at shows.

Last edited by ttyR2; 02-10-2015 at 01:27:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2015, 11:18:27 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,528 Posts
Default Re: 1930's vintage Maytag washing machine questions

Gearbox uses a semi-solid grease. Nearest comparable I have found is Snapper mower '00' transmission grease. A good mower shop should have it. Next, a Marine supply should have outboard lower end lubricant. Regular hypoid rear eng oil will leak out rapidly, I would not recommend its use. I would NOT dis-assemble the trans on the washer, unless it is leaking. The gasket between halves is thin, and the thickness is critical . The gasket CANNOT be left out or the trans sealed with silicone. Gearbox lock up will result if you leave it out! I do not know the factory thickness of the original, it appears to be in the area of 10 thousandths or less. Note: the transmission does not use rubber seals on the shafting. The seals are precision cut cork. DO NOT DISTURB! I would just clean the unit, and put it on display. Dis-assembly would be a last resort.

The shift only disengages the agitator, and engages the wringer (if the machine is equipped). There should be a switch on the machine to shut off the motor. As you have surmised, draining out the machine was by gravity. You dropped the hose to the ground to MT the machine, hung it at the side to hold water. Check the rubber hose for suppleness. If the hose has hardened with age, it may break is moved. if that is the case, you might check with Maytag Mark or Tom S, perhaps they have a source for replacement parts (seals gaskets, hose)?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:42:23 PM
Registered-III

How do you clean/flush the box out effectively without taking it apart? I haven't looked yet, but I would assume whatever is in there is going to be a thick goo.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:29:00 PM
Registered

If you need a new drain hose go to your nearest auto. parts store and buy 1 inch I.D. heater hose. Proper length I believe is 21 inches long. This hose works perfect. Just cut the ends off the old hose, clean them up, and I use cold weld to fasten them on the new hose.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:52:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,394 Times in 930 Posts

This is also a fantastic website for the aficionados of good old well made appliances.

http://automaticwasher.org
Old 06-25-2016, 08:08:18 PM
Registered

I have a Maytag Model 18 that was my grandmothers. When I got it, twenty years ago, it purred along beautifully, and she used it frequently for her hooked rugs, because her newer Maytag automatic could not handle the heavier load of the rugs.

I decided to use the machine recently, and as soon as I moved the drain hose, it snapped, hardened and rotted with age. I've been trying to dig out the remnants from the old hose, and it's a slow process. Inside the bottom hose flange I can see what looks to be a copper insert (see the attached photo), but I am unclear if this is part of the old hose (and should be removed when I dig out the remaining parts of the rotted hose), or part of the drain elbow flange, which I should leave in place.

Does anyone know the hose size (diameter) I should look for? The length looks to be about 35 to 37 inches, unless it's been shortened over the years.

What about the compound or adhesive to seal the new hose in place.

I appreciate any help on this. I'd love to get granny's machine back on the road again!

Many thanks,
Ken (damfino)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MaytagHoseFlange.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	256893  
Old 06-25-2016, 08:40:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,551 Times in 937 Posts

The one I had used 7/8" hose for the drain hose.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:31:51 PM
Registered

Default Re: 1930's Vintage Maytag Washing Machine Questions

Thanks, Pat. That helps.

Do you know if I have to remove that copper sleeve that is inside the flange?

Ken
Old 09-17-2016, 08:20:15 PM
Registered

Default Maytag Model 30 Drain Hose and Connector

I noticed the question about the bottom drain hose connector and drain hose size for a Maytag 30/31, 32/33 wringer washer.
I have found that a 1" ID heater hose is ideal for a new drain hose. I chose to make my drain hose 28" long but 21" to 30" are acceptable lengths. I feel that each person has to decide the length for their drain hose.
In the earlier post, the old hose and a copper inner liner is present. All of the old hose needs to be removed so that the new 1" heater hose can be screwed in.
I have attached a picture of a bottom drain hose connector for a Maytag Model 30 that is cleaned and prepared for the new drain hose. The picture shows that the drain hose connectors have an internal coarse "threads" to hold and seal the 1" heater hose.
The second picture shows the bottom drain hose connector "threaded" onto the 1" heater hose.
The third picture shows the end drain hose connector "threaded" onto the other end of the new 1" drain hose.
I hope that the pictures are self explanatory. My descriptions tend to be too long and too complicated.
Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maytag Model 30 Drain Hose and Connector.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	263194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maytag Model 30 Drain Hose with Connector.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	263195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maytag Model 30 Drain Hose with End Connector.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	263200  
Old 09-18-2016, 01:39:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag Model 30 Drain Hose and Connector

Mark, your explanation is very clear! I think I may have mentioned to you before that I used a similar hose - the type used for fuel tanks, and is about 1-3/8" outside diameter.

Regarding the original flange inside the connection - to my knowledge, it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove this intact, but it does need to be removed in order to replace the hose. I simply dug it out with a screwdriver.

An excellent adhesive to use is E6000 - it remains slightly flexible after curing.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:21:50 PM
Registered

Default Flange inside Drain Hose Connector - Maytag Model 30

Thank you for clarifying the original flange pictured in Damfino's post.
My Maytag Model 30's original drain hose must have been already replaced by the time I replaced the drain hose. Mine did not have that flange inside the drain hose.
It is good to hear from someone like you who has had the opportunity to restore originally equipped washers.
I am also glad that you clarified the replacement heater hose's outside diameter (OD). I confirmed by digital calipers that the OD of a 1" inside diameter heater hose is 1 3/8".
It is important for newer individuals to know that most hoses are labeled by their inside diameter. Heater hose is definitely labeled for its ID.
Mark.