Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Antique Washing Machines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Washing Machines Old collectible washing machines as used on the farm.

Antique Washing Machines

Maytag Wringer Transmission Lubricant

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3528 times

Old 07-15-2015, 01:17:15 PM
Registered-II

Default Maytag Wringer Transmission Lubricant

I've decided to put my mother's old Maytag wringer washer, model E2L, back into operation. Over the years it's leaked a lot of the original oil out of it's power unit so I drilled a small hole in the bottom on the gearbox to drain out the remaining oil. I'll flush it after I tap and plug the hole. I also have a new agitator seal.

My question is how much multipurpose gear lube should I reinstall? My service manual only gives the Maytag part number but doesn't say how much to use. I phoned Maytag but they don't know.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2015, 02:47:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,454 Times in 607 Posts
Default Re: Maytag Wringer Transmission Lubricant

If the agitator shaft is loose at all I would not put liquid oil back in the gearbox. The wash water has a tendency to work into the gearbox along side the shaft and of course as the water works in the oil floats up into the wash tub. This can lead to some violent verbal eruptions coming from the laundry room when the operator spots the lingerie being agitated in the 90 wt. that oozed into the tub.
On the Maytags we used I pumped the gearboxes full of #2 gun grease. This cured the oozing problem for us. However before my brother-in-law got married he used a Maytag that was so loose the #2 grease would float up so he left an open drain hole in the gearbox and let the water run out while he washed clothes. It ran for years this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 10:38:50 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Maytag Wringer Transmission Lubricant

The shaft has no play whatsoever. It's nice and tight which is amazing since I know how much this machine was used.
I would really prefer to reinstall the original or a similar lubricant.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:00:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Lubricant for Gearbox (Transmission) of Maytag Wringer Washer

NLGI Grade 2 Multipurpose Grease. It is a superior product for the agitator and wringer gearbox. The red lithium version has an extreme pressure rating and will provide decades of service. It is superior to the original Maytag grease that was packed into the gearboxes.
By this time, the original grease in our gearboxes has deteriorated and will begin to appear like a thick oil and will leak out.
I learned to use it from Brad Ross and am grateful for the excellent suggestion.
Even 90 weight oil which some people recommend will leak out of the gearbox, so NLGI 2 will give the proper lubrication but diminish the possibility of leaking out.

National Lubricating Grease Index (NLGI) is measured in Grades 000-6.. It is actually a consistency number to reflect the relative hardness of a grease.
Most people would consider it to have a normal grease appearance.

Mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to M C Vlasak For This Post: