Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Photos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Photos OLD gas engines, hot air engines, Diesels and steam engines. An electronic photo gallery to showcase the best of your old engine collection.

Antique Engine Photos

Briggs & Stratton model 14

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 643 times

Old 11-27-2018, 10:27:21 PM
Registered

Photo Briggs & Stratton model 14

I bought this used and have been splitting wood with it for 18 years I put a new rod and piston and rings in it years ago Cleaned it up and painted it put the right gas tank on it all I ever had to do it. Starts with two pulls never touched the carb really. Well we were splitting wood with us recently certainly the RPMs went through the roof I quickly shut it off started it up again and same thing no governor control it seems. I can run it if I hold the butterfly and place. I was told the governor Gere may be broken but I am not familiar with this at all. I figured somewhere inside the crank case there’s a problem with the governor. If anyone has some helpful knowledgeable advice I would much appreciate it! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 11:36:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,051 Times in 1,582 Posts
Default Re: Briggs & Stratton model 14

First thing to check is that the governor arm is clocked correctly on the shaft. Loosen the screw that clamps the arm to the shaft. Hold the arm at full open throttle position. With a pair of pliers, rotate the shaft in the same direction as the arm to get the full throttle position. While all of this is held securely, tighten the arm clamp screw down.
If it still wants to run away, you have internal issues. Could be a broken gear.

I Can Probably Fix That
The Following User Says Thank You to John Newman, Jr. For This Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:37:31 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Briggs & Stratton model 14

Welcome to smokstak. The governor gear on the model 14 is steel. One of the governor flyweights might have finally broke free causing the engine to run the way it is. Pulling the oil pan will tell for sure. The governor is driven off the bottom of the camshaft gear. The only other thing that I can think of is that the governor arm on the outside of the engine might be holding stationary as the shaft running through the block turns. Usually they are so well rusted together that does not happen, but you never know.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 12:20:47 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Briggs & Stratton model 14

Thanks much you guys I will check it out this weekend! Curtis