Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Another 72 Coil Question

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 3571 times

Old 08-06-2015, 05:21:13 AM
Registered-I

Default Another 72 Coil Question

I am assembling my first 72 D Eismann. The coil is to say the least not pretty. When I check continuity between the high tension terminals it is an open circuit. Also each high tension terminal to ground or hot to the primary winding is open. When I power the primary with 6 volts and one high tension grounded I get spark from either high tension output. I've read posts of people claiming their engines run fine with no continuity between high tension leads. Is my coil usable or would I be fooling myself to try it?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2015, 01:38:20 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Another 72 Coil Question

I've come to realize any spark I get must be from an arc making a way across an internal open circuit. I'm thinking its a core.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:14:39 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,194 Times in 4,005 Posts

This problem was common to the D and Da coils. Zack Northway (a Stak Sponsor) has coils - not cheap). you might also try to contact Tom S. or Mark Shulaw, both members here on the Stak. They might have a coil, or know of a source. NOTE: you cannot mix the DA with the D - the iron cores are different, and the flywheel magnet ring IDs are different. You must stick with the D type your engine came with unless you switch both the mag, backing plate and flywheel.

I think mark was trying to have new coils wound, you might try him first.
Andrew
Old 08-07-2015, 11:36:47 AM
Registered-I

I have considered the Briggs conversion. After more research it sounds like they don't run as well and are difficult to start. Mark isn't a fan of them. He may well have a source for original style replacements.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:29:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,082 Times in 509 Posts

I spent a lot of time experimenting Briggs coils and found about the hard starting and poor running. I also tried something that hasn't been talked about. I put two single cylinder coils stacked on the Maytag armature. One side of each coil is grounded and one side is hot. I didn't get any better results.I have two Maytag twins with generators that I wanted running good so I finally bought two of Zack's coils ($150. ea.). They now run great! I just checked Zack's sales and he is no longer offering the coils. Check Ebay zkstuff I'll have to find out if he is going to have more made. He will be at the Portland show. (If the water isn't too deep). Ron
Old 08-07-2015, 04:35:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,162 Posts

This video may help to see if the coil is good
https://www.facebook.com/davidsolden...type=3&theater
Old 08-07-2015, 09:31:37 PM
Subscriber

Think he usually makes a certain number, waits till their sold out then makes more. I have a wico that has an open circuit but runs fine on yes, both cylinders. Don't know how long that's going to last though before it burns out.

Kevin
Old 08-08-2015, 05:11:57 AM
Registered-I

That's basically where I'm at. I'm not out anything to try it but have to expect it to fail at any time even if it runs. I liked the idea of the Briggs because it would be new. I take it then that the ones Zack sells are also?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:36:55 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,082 Times in 509 Posts

After I got tired of experimenting with Briggs coils I left it go for a while. I'm still thinking about it and have some questions about the electronics. Would a different condenser or two work better? Will stronger magnets make it work? In other words why do they work in the Briggs engines and not in Maytag engines? CL did you get my email? Ron
Old 08-09-2015, 10:51:26 PM
Subscriber

Thought someone was experimenting with separating the two sections of bad coils and finding out that most of the dead (open circuit) coils were because the wire between the two sections was corroded. This was repaired and re-sealed and put back on the armature with good results. This sounds like too much trouble, but if new coils are stop being made, may be are only option.

Kevin