Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 92

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 791 times

Old 08-20-2016, 06:19:21 AM
Registered

Default Maytag 92

Information please, on the magneto back plate from a model 92 there is what I would call an oil catch ring, please excuse the description am new to Maytag ownership, this has the small tube that exits from rear of the mag. plate.

Can anyone tell me should there be felt or other material inside the ring as mine has nothing inside. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to livram40 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2016, 11:47:34 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Maytag 92

Should be nothing inside. Its purpose is to collect the oil that drips out of the main bearing and direct it away from the magneto.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 01:11:52 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,864 Times in 3,814 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag 92

Turbo s it. The ring and tube should be clean and free of gum and debris. make sure spiders did not make a nest in the tube! The maytag engines did not use seals on the cranks! they depended on the oil film left when the engine ran, to lube and seal the crank. Thus the need to run SAE 30 NON-detergent or TCW type 3 OIL in these slow speed engines. Modern lubes are too thin, and tend to blow thru the bearings. As turbo noted, the catch rind kept excess oil away from the points and coil. These engines like to slobber oil - nature of the beasts. If the bearings are worn, the oil blow by gets worse. If the crank moves when lifted more than a few thousandths, then the bushings are worn. If you don't load the engine, not too much of an issue, but if you intend to load it, if badly worn, you might consider new bushings and a rebuild.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 09:58:58 AM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag 92

Andrew M. many thanks for info. when I first got engine firing I did use the 2 stroke mix I run my other engines on [Villiers Marvil`s] but I noticed oil mix seeping through crank bushings, this was only for approx. 2 minutes running just to see how engine ran, I then used the recommended mix and no more seeping from bushes.
Engine is now broken down as am in process of a full refurb.
The Following User Says Thank You to livram40 For This Post: