Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

1946 Maytag Twin Coil Winding Data

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1097 times

Old 08-26-2016, 06:16:04 PM
Registered-I

Default 1946 Maytag Twin Coil Winding Data

Just got my first Maytag. I have a thing for restoring old engines. First came here a number of years ago to restore a 1952 Kohler 350watt Civil Defense Light Plant, and a 1963 Onan CCK Generator. They run great.

This Maytag Twin (72DA ignition) was given to me. It was missing the kick starter and cover, the air tube cap, muffler, and the top cylinder bolts (no bolt holes on tank bottom, so it was suspeneded from the top). I've ordered most of the missing parts. The PO said it was his great aunt's and was powering a Maytag washer. Sadly, it's gone.

I really like the challenge of getting things started on my own. I just disassembled the engine for cleaning. I know the chances of a bad coil are high. But, I'm CHEAP. I have experience winding coils, solenoids, and transformers.

Now my question: Anybody have the specs for the coil primary and secondary windings? Wire gauge, number of turns, etc? I will probably end up buying a Zach coil, but I want to try it on my own first. I'd rather know what I'm in for before I strip mine for the answer. I'm not going into coil production, I just want to see if I can rewind these (I have a jig and rev counter on my little bench lathe).

I tried to attach a picture, don't know if it made it.

I've been reading this and several other sites. I've also watched most of the long bearded--guy's videos on Youtube.

Stu
Los Alamos, NM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maytag2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	261265  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2016, 06:56:56 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,996 Times in 3,901 Posts
Default Re: 1946 Maytag Twin Coil Winding Data

Have you cleaned the points, set at .020, and checked to see if you have spark? (Plug gap .025)? If you have spark, move on. Just because you have the original coil, does not mean it's bad. if necessary, I would try another condenser too. You can wrap a rope around the engine pulley, or belt to an electric motor to check spark if you don't get the kickstarter first.
Andrew
Old 08-26-2016, 08:45:10 PM
Subscriber

I'm glad to hear someone else is trying the Maytag coils. I started with the required resistance (8 to 9000 ohms) and worked from there. I determined aprox. 10,000 turns of 40ga wire was close. 38ga won't go in the available space. The secondary is two coils joined in the middle. I decided they must be wound in different directions. Why else have two? Wound, assembled, and failure, unknown. Next I tried winding the same direction. I got three sparks and another failure, This time a broken connection at the center connection I had to set it aside for a while. When I can talk myself into another try I will try a single secondary coil. The connections on that .038 wire were my biggest problem. To shakey and half bad sight.
I look forward to hearing what you come up with.
Cliff
The Following User Says Thank You to CEMc For This Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 11:54:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,043 Times in 488 Posts

A friend of mine reverse engineered and made a set of coils. I think that he had to put die electric paper between each layer of wire. I'll see if I can get more info. I have experimented with Briggs coils and had some success. I had two of these engines running at the Portland show this week. The coils that you can buy for $150 work great. I bought two for my Maytag generators. I thought that it was worth it for a higher dollar engine. You really have to like your engine and expect to keep it to spend the $150. What is a twin worth not running? What is it worth running with an original coil (that could go bad at any time)? What is it worth with a new $150 coil? Ron
Old 08-27-2016, 12:49:19 PM
Subscriber

I have two very early 1937 twins that I decided were worth a new coil. That one kick start is really satisfying! Winding my own just seems like something I should be able to do. Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated.
Cliff

Last edited by CEMc; 08-27-2016 at 01:59:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:32:06 PM
Subscriber

I'm not a Maytag expert, but I understand some of those twins used a Wico FW ignition common to others of the day.. Onan OTC 2-cylinder engines have various configurations, with some cast-iron-block units using a single-coil Wico X3040 mag with the attached schematic (from the OTC-33BE manual).. It's sometimes possible to find winding information in military NSN databases, but so far no luck. I'm restoring one that has a X3040D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WICO_X3040.png
Views:	42
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	261395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219_cr.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	261396  
Old 08-28-2016, 07:36:00 PM
Registered-I

Well, pulled the coil from the armature, unwrapped the outer runner and cloth covering the 2 coils.
I have 900 ohms primary, and open-circuit secondary (5 megohms). I'm looking for the coil tie, but can't find it. I can't split the coils.

How did you guys get the coils off the primary winding former? that rubber glue is nasty stuff. Did you guys use solvent to melt the glue? I'm scared to dig any deeper without damaging the wires.

Starting to look like new coil.

Stu
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maytag72Coil1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	261484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maytag72Coil2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	261485  
Old 08-28-2016, 11:04:18 PM
Registered-I

Last Post on this. My coil was doomed from the start. When I gently peeled the covering away to expose the underside of the spark plug wire terminals, I saw how SMALL the coil windings were. No soldering to the terminal plate. The back of the terminal plate and it's soldered wire just press against the coil windings under tape pressure. I tried to unwrap or peel a little more. Then I noticed that the bottom two windings were just carbon traces embedded into the tape. Looks a catastrophic failure from long ago. I guess I'll opt for a new coil, or play with something else.

thanks for the help.