Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag model 92 multi motor

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1800 times

Old 11-28-2016, 07:47:54 PM
Registered

Default Maytag model 92 multi motor

I have a newly-rebuilt model 92, rebuilt by someone with a fairly good reputation but there is a problem, I think.

The engine won't start simply using the kick pedal, I have to spin it with a socket and drill on the flywheel nut to get it to fire...once warmed up, it starts easily and runs well. It is only on cold starts after the engine has set a while that this occurs. I always fill the tank to ensure the pick-up tube reaches the fuel.

After running, the base of the carb and the fuel tank top are covered in oil...not just a little, it runs down and drips from the bottom of the tank. I see oil traces from the screws, which are tight.

I don't know much about these, but hoping someone on here might have a clue. Thanks ahead for any advice you can give me.

The rebuilder isn't available for me to talk to.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2016, 08:28:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,050 Posts
Default Re: Maytag model 92 multi motor

Sounds like you need a new tank gasket and either a condenser or a new spark plug. The term "rebuilt" goes from getting it running and sell it, to a thorough go thru. I'm only an arm chair mechanic, from here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 08:43:46 PM
Registered

Thanks Pat, have received the same info from other people, plus someone said to check the condition of the lead washers under the screws...well, there is only one, and it is split.
So I have those on order along with a new gasket. This engine was the "Best" out of a lot of four...the story went.

Thanks for your help, Pat. I appreciate it.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:24:31 PM
Registered-II

while you have the carb off to change the gasket take the check valve apart and clean all the parts with carb cleaner you could have a check valve that is not sealing the check valve is on the end of the fuel pickup pipe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coyote62ny For This Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 09:59:18 AM
Registered-III

What kind of gas-oil mixture are you using? It should be 16-1. 8 oz of #30 non detergent oil to one gallon of gas. This mixture gives the proper lube. It keeps oil from escaping around the main bearings and maintains good compression. Any other oil run out all over just how you explain it. Keep us posted. Good luck! Arlie
The Following User Says Thank You to Arlie Levy For This Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 03:07:35 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,186 Times in 4,000 Posts

Make sure the side of the carb that faces the engine is FLAT. Too many times people crank on the mount screws when the gasket leaks, and that bends the aluminum. Install the carb with a new gasket. If you cannot get replacement lead washers for the mount screws, you can use .020" thick vellum gasket material. You can get it from a good auto parts store or one of the sponsors here on the stak, like Lee Pederson. In a pinch, you could try a cerial box, but the cardboard may tear. Is the fuel pointer set properly? it should be pointed 90 degrees to the right when lightly seated. Full left when starting, and around vertical when running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 05:59:29 PM
Registered

Will do, and thanks. I'm thankful for any advice at all, for sure.

---------- Post added at 04:50:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie Levy View Post
What kind of gas-oil mixture are you using? It should be 16-1. 8 oz of #30 non detergent oil to one gallon of gas. This mixture gives the proper lube. It keeps oil from escaping around the main bearings and maintains good compression. Any other oil run out all over just how you explain it. Keep us posted. Good luck! Arlie
I'm using the usual 16:1 with non-det. 30wt oil..started the engine today and paid attention to the carb. There is fuel seeping out around the lower screws and also around the base of the carb. Have new lead washers and gaskets on order, and hopefully this will stop the leak. Thinking of Gasoila soft set for a gasket sealer, unless anyone has a suggestion on what may work better. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 04:59:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
Make sure the side of the carb that faces the engine is FLAT. Too many times people crank on the mount screws when the gasket leaks, and that bends the aluminum. Install the carb with a new gasket. If you cannot get replacement lead washers for the mount screws, you can use .020" thick vellum gasket material. You can get it from a good auto parts store or one of the sponsors here on the stak, like Lee Pederson. In a pinch, you could try a cerial box, but the cardboard may tear. Is the fuel pointer set properly? it should be pointed 90 degrees to the right when lightly seated. Full left when starting, and around vertical when running.
I'll check that carb for flatness, for sure. The brass screws are pretty beat up, and you can tell they have been torqued on pretty good. Ordered new gaskets, lead washers and new brass screws from a pretty well-reputed seller on ebay.

I'm soaking all of this in, fellas, and I sure will keep everyone updated, parts are due in at the first of next week,and I'll get started checking that carb this evening. I know checking it on a surface plate may be a little over-kill, but there's one here on the bench, and a mill standing in the corner if I need to shave off a few thou to make it flat...but I just hope it's bad gaskets. The needle does seem to be set correctly, according to your description. I hope I can stop at the carb.

Thanks again for the help. I figured this was the place to go to in order to find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalepratt For This Post:
Old 12-24-2016, 03:55:44 PM
Registered-III

In a pinch and you need a lead washer you can use a couple wraps of smaller diameter rosin core solder wrapped around the screw. It will mash out and form the washer. Make sure you clean out the under side of the screw that's dished in so that the new lead will fill it in.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:58:50 PM
Registered-II

You could also go to a sporting goods store and buy some lead split shot and flatten it out to make your washers.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:44:20 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,186 Times in 4,000 Posts

Dalepratt, get your engine sorted out yet?
Andrew