Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

15.0JC Need Head Gaskets

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 2147 times

Old 06-10-2007, 01:43:28 PM
pcbye

Default 15.0JC Need Head Gaskets

Greetings:

Does anyone know where I might obtain a set of head gaskets for a 15.0JC.

I am going to pull the heads and clean the combustion chambers and possibly have a valve job done.

I have the unit all tuned up, electronic ignition, new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, etc. and the timing set to 35 BTC on propane. It is a Spec S setup for gas -- 15.OJC-3CR/8505S. So I assume it does not have 9:1 compression, that should be Spec U & W sets for Natural Gas Only.

It runs real well, although It seems to run hot and will start to knock a little after running for about 45 minutes under about 1/2 - 3/4 load.

The head temps also seem a little high at around 375 F, and number 2 around 410 F. I am thinking that it had been running so badly at the time it was removed that it is most likely carboned up -- compression is good, but also a bit too high. 230 Psi Cold Cranking.

The service manual indicates that you put Permatex #3 on both sides of the gasket? Sounds archaic.

Is there any thing I should look for once the top is off?

Best regards;

Peter
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2007, 05:06:30 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: 15.0JC Need Head Gaskets

I just bought a pair of head gaskets for my JC. I got them at the local Onan/Cummins dealer. Cost was $17.82 apiece plus $5.20 for the UPS charge to send them to my house (the dealer was about 20 miles away, so I had them shipped rather than driving there). J. Stewart