Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Miller AEAD-200LE: Engine options

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 18967 times

Old 10-28-2006, 10:33:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Miller AEAD-200LE: Engine options

Another "which engine" Q.

Having read about the CCKA in the Miller AEAD-200LE, I got excited when I ran across this CL ad:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/224070634.html
Quote:
Miller model AEAD 200LE ac/dc welder/Generator.225 amp welder.5kv generator.

However, when I contacted the seller, he told me it had a Mitsubishi industrial 4-cyl diesel engine instead, and that the engine was listed in a separate ad, which I found:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/224066870.html
Quote:
Complete less starter. Has crack in cylinder wall.Possibly could be sleaved? This is a new motor that had water come down exhaust stack and froze in cylinder.

Did someone put this engine in front of the Miller head, or was the AEAD-200 sold in different engine configurations?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2006, 10:51:42 PM
Registered-III

Cool Re: Miller AEAD-200LE: Engine options

So... He is selling a welding machine without mentioning that it comes without an engine? Is that right?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:05:17 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Miller AEAD-200LE: Engine options

I guess, since the engine is listed for $200 and the "welder" for $250, that the answer to your surmise is "yes". And Good Luck to him. Maybe the right buyer is out there, but it's not me.

He's been trying to peddle the two separate pieces for several weeks. In the early ads, he didn't ID the welder brand or model, even after I contacted him asking for that info (I later bought a Hobart Titan 8 instead -- welder + 8Kw gen, but 8Kw @ 3600! -- which I just sold to my employer). So, because I couldn't find out what model it was, and because it's three-plus hours away from me (figure $100 of fuel), I gave up on him.

When this new welder ad appeared, with model info and pictures, I didn't tie the new ad to that guy, until I called him this morning. When I asked about its condition, he said "water got down exhaust, cracked block" and the light bulb came on -- I'd read the old ad for the engine before too. I ended the call quick, then put 3+3 together and found the engine part in a different ad.

Because the AEAD-200LE with the CCKA runs at 1800 when being a power plant, I was interested in it. But now it seems that either the AEAD-200L(E) could be had with multiple prime movers, or this particular one had been converted.

Which prompted my Q.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:16:46 AM
Registered-III

such people as that craigslist sellers, need to be ignored... they are poison to the mind...

i
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59:22 AM
Registered-III

Aha! Today, there was a repost of the ad, this time with a pic that shows . . .

. . . a homemade adapter.

Last edited by ASavage; 11-13-2006 at 02:00:50 AM. Reason: Add CL URL.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:04:11 PM
eMail NOT Working

I normally find things interesting that others call 'junk'. However, this appears to be real, bonifide junk, and should be sold by the pound.

Get your pump cover off Igor?

John
Old 11-15-2006, 12:05:41 AM
Registered-III

Cool Re: Miller AEAD-200LE: Engine options

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. McNugget View Post
I normally find things interesting that others call 'junk'. However, this appears to be real, bonifide junk, and should be sold by the pound.

Get your pump cover off Igor?

John
It is raining today, so, no. With luck, I can do it tomorrow, if not, this weekend. I want to look at the fuel return valve/T fitting assembly first. I received very nice A series manuals and am reading them now. They do not seem to discuss Roosa Master rebuilds, but they do discuss a lot of other relevant things.

i