Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan runs then shuts itself off

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 22247 times

Old 12-26-2008, 04:14:13 PM
Don Smith

Default Re: Onan runs then shuts itself off

I must admit that this Forum has some of the best people that I have found at any group. Not sure if the breathing of the fumes has anything to do with it. Might also be the fondness for anything that spins and produces power. Would love to have the opportunity to meet the group in person.

How about this; I have about 30 assorted generators that are in different states of disrepair. How about an old time barn building type party where everybody fly out here to the Gold Country and get them all repaired and running. I will even supply the beer. Although I am not sure if I can afford all the beer that old soldiers can drink.

Anyway thanks for all of the help that have been given to me and the others in need of help getting their equipment working as it should. Happy New Year All Don
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 08:00:00 PM
Registered-II

I don't drink but how about a generator repair seminar and you supply the training units to "evaluate"?

I'll bring the old stories and you can all get bored and run genny's to drowned out the noise?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,817 Times in 7,011 Posts

Well for a BEER TRUCK and about a hundred pounds of ribs I will show up. I will even bring my on sleeping bag.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:00:51 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy J Shafer View Post
Don nothing beats running a diesel in a closed room with a leaky exhaust burning stale diesel fuel. Makes your eyes water and your body tingle. Better than sex.
Billy,

If you like that, you should have been with Dad and I when we went to the America Royal building for a tractor pull one February. The classes were HOT RODS which had from two to four souped-up automotive engines and Super Stack Farm tractors. The exhaust fans were NOT turned on until some of the Super Stockers had run which caused the BLACK diesel smoke build up until you could barely see across the arena at ground level.

Kent
Old 02-12-2012, 01:46:29 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy J Shafer View Post
The BFA has not been made in years. So I would say clogged carb some cleaner will help,but you may have to take the carb off and soak it. If you need to call me 903-536-3202.
hello, i seem to have a simular problem with my onan bfa genset as the fellow who started this thread. You suggested that he "soak" his carb. What do you recommend I use to soak my carb in? I suspect i have buildup from this damn etahnol in my carb.

Thanks in advance.
Ray Amash
Grand Rapids, MI
email: rayamash@gmail.com
Old 02-12-2012, 02:44:07 PM
Registered-III

send me an email with the model number and I will send you the manuals for the unit,it sounds like you either have a fuel issue or there may be something else going on,after you have looked over the manual then drop me a line and I will help you work thru the issue,don't go buying parts until you know you need them, you will need a good volt ohm meter to do any checking on this unit. georgenfw@hotmail.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Clark For This Post: