Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

1925 and 1926 Allis Chalmers 20-35 Longfenders "Canadian"

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 3935 times

Old 03-19-2017, 05:25:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1925 and 1926 Allis Chalmers 20-35 longfenders "Canadian"

Hi all!

Couple little things accomplished on the longfenders here. I cleaned up the one good set of bearings and accompanying parts for the front wheel that I have. The other set is still in the wheel back in WI, but there is about a 99.99% chance they are junk anyway, as the wheel will not spin and so far our attempts to get it off the spindle have failed! Must be pure rust inside.
Anyway, I cleaned up the three hubcaps I have as well. I'll need to find one more of these most likely, but I also need a second pair of front wheels, so there is a slim chance if I ever find a set it may have a hubcap with them, LOL!

But I like to clean up what I have to see what is good/bad so I know what to be looking for and buying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 05:35:46 PM
Subscriber

Then I bounced back to the radiator tanks.

It is a fairly nice day here, so I set up outside and wire wheeled up the inside of the tanks to see how much work they will need.

Here are three of the tanks after a little wire wheel time. The other top tank I have here is fairly rough shape, so I am waiting to see what the third top tank I have back home looks like when I pull that apart. I'm hoping it will be in better shape, and I will use that to complete my two tanks. The one top I have here is fixable, but is rotted through in a few places.

Note the one bottom tank mounting boss on the upper left is rotten right through, it looked solid, but once I touched it with the wire wheel it went right through.

These are so prone to rotting out, this bottom tank can be seen that it has been fixed once in the past. a piece of threaded pipe was shoved in the original rotten pipe and welded in place.

The top tank pictured also has had a new piece of tube welded onto the original stub of the inlet in the past.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 06:38:23 PM
Subscriber

So now some questions, as I am looking for advice on how to proceed. First what should I do with these tanks as far as all the deep pitting goes? They are probably fairly thin in some places.

I plan to probably bring these in to get sandblasted in the insides. Once they appear to be structurally sound (obvious bad spots welded up), should a guy coat them with something to seal them off just in case there is any pinholes, and to prevent any further deterioration? If so, that should be used?

I also am going to grind out the remainder of what is left of the inlet and outlet tubes, and get a new piece of tube to have welded in place.

Can anyone confirm for me a couple of things:

In the bottom tanks, should the outlet be welded "square with the world"? As in horizontal with the ground, and parallel with the center line of the tractor. Or should it be slightly angled towards the center line of the tractor? Holding a piece of PVC up just for a visual, it appears that "square with the world" should work.

There is a cast 90* elbow that goes between this outlet and the water pump outlet. So there is some "play" on how things can be put together, but I want to get it right the first time if I am going to have it redone.

Also, how LONG should the pipe be originally? Mine are all rotted off so I have no idea.

On the top tank, again, how long should that pipe be, and does anyone know at what angle should it be tipped down? or am I going to have to assemble things and figure it out?

Thanks for any and all advice
Old 03-19-2017, 07:44:41 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,111 Posts

The bottom outlet should come straight out according to pictures I have, and should be about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. Should be about the same as your '27 rad.

The top outlet has a slight downward angle to line up with the water manifold.

As for thin spots after sandblasting, I have filled deep internal pits with brazing as long as there are only a few. Too much brazing may warp the tank.
After sandblasting clean you could probably flow solder into the pits with good results on those steel tanks.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Phil!

So I've been letting this "percolate" in my mind for a bit thinking about what I should do with all the pitting and bad surfaces.

Just thinking out loud here, but after sandblasting the insides clean would a two part epoxy be appropriate for a fix like this? Something like a JB weld epoxy, or POR-15 epoxy Putty?

A guy could fill in all the pitting with the epoxy, and then even coat the inside of the tank with another product to seal it off even more?

I'm guessing the temps the radiator tank would get to would not be an issue for products like this correct?
Would any expansion/contraction from the tanks be an issue?
I'd hate to see chunks break off over time and plug up the radiator

If a guy sealed it off with the second product (not sure exactly what? Thinking like a gas tank sealing kit or something) that should protect it from the antifreeze too right? Maybe a second product would not even be necessary to protect the epoxy from antifreeze?

Feel free to shoot me down if I'm way out in left field here, but in my mind it might be an easier option than trying to braze/solder/weld up all that area? The whole tank is pretty rough, not just a localized area or two.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:07:45 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,111 Posts

I've used Devcon Plastic steel to repair items like that and have had good results. It's similar to JB Weld, but is an industrial 2 part epoxy product with a lot more iron powder in it. It will withstand fairly high temperatures and is not affected by coolant or oil after it hardens.

I repaired one cylinder sleeve in my '29 20-35 Allis many years ago with it. The cylinder had been sitting for many years with water in it and it had corroded a band into the sleeve about halfway down the bore that couldn't be honed out. As no new sleeves were available back then, my option was boring oversize and having pistons made or look for a good used sleeve. Another Allis collector was visiting and said he had a similar problem with his engine and had cleaned the sleeve very well and filled the pitted area with Devcon. I thought I had nothing to lose so tried it and it has held for going on 15 years. This engine has a lot more hours on it now and has threshed and tractor pulled etc. I had the head off about three years ago to correct a coolant leak and the bore had polished up so well that the repair was invisible.

.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brand=Devcon&family=Plastic Steel® Putty (A

Last edited by Phil Johnson; 03-22-2017 at 12:16:15 PM. Reason: add link
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phil Johnson For This Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 06:14:55 PM
Subscriber

I'm in the process of updating pics on my old threads since Photobucket sucked it up. I've created an album under my Google Photos account where I'll add pics of the longfenders from now on. At least as of the writing of this post some of the old pis are still visible, but they should not be. When they finally are all dead, at least the old pics can be found in this new album.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...fRONu6LMnS5IWe

I really have no updates to add about these longfenders. They are still in the parts collecting phase. Most of my time has been going towards home remodel projects, and when I am back home to barn building/expansion project. Gotta have a place to put these old beauties inside! Hopefully will wrap that up this spring/summer. Been picking away on it since last fall and through the winter.

If anyone has any leads on longfender Allis 20-35 parts, I'd sure like to hear from you though
Old 03-28-2018, 08:12:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 526 Posts
Default Re: 1925 and 1926 Allis Chalmers 20-35 Longfenders "Canadian"

I get a 404 error when I try to open the URL.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:12:05 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Colwell View Post
I get a 404 error when I try to open the URL.
Try it again now, I did not have it set as a shared album, so I guess only I could see it before. You all should be able to now? Sorry
Old 03-29-2018, 12:45:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,567 Times in 2,144 Posts

No useful pictures from those black circles! Just some junk advertising.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post: